PDA

View Full Version : systems by shorty

manny
12-18-2002, 11:02 PM
the past few months ive studied this web site from top to bottom, i took the ideas and applied it to my system. i must say i am very very happy with the out come! its incredible when you hear the before and after.

soundmanshorty
12-18-2002, 11:44 PM
I`m glad what you have done has worked for the positive but explain more to us about what was b4 and what you did to make it better. I would really like to know and im glad that just by looking at my site has helped you out in a dramatic way for the better but let me know if there is anything else i could do to help you out for more improvement to your sound system.
www.systemsbyshorty.com

clubman5
12-19-2002, 03:07 PM
Tell us what you had and how you had it set up. And what youve done since that your happy with. Enquiring minds wanna know!

manny
12-20-2002, 04:01 AM
1 i got rid of my groove masters and got grados dj 200
2 i changed processors i got rid of the behringer dualflex and added a ultraflex tude processor
3 i got rid of the rane ac22 X-over and added a dsx active 3 way x-over
4 i added a ramsa amp for my tweeters and 2 yorkville audiopro amps for my subs and full range
5 1 added 2 selinium slot tweeters
the full range are celestions 1520 and the sub are yorkville sw-800.

soundmanshorty
12-20-2002, 12:01 PM
sounds like a nice set up, let me know if you want me to tune it.

clubman5
12-20-2002, 03:22 PM
That sounds like a kick ass system to have!

soundmanshorty
12-20-2002, 04:48 PM
Can i make a sugestion to change those rane eqs
I feel there is alot better eqs made that would benifit for you where your system would perform at a greater quality. I`ll list my system with my spare gear as well , ill do this shortly for everybody but i also own a bgw 750 D on my bedroom speakers in a seperate room this amp was tested against krell and out performed it.

stevie
12-20-2002, 07:21 PM
How do you manage to have such huge systems at home and not incur either the wrath of your neighbours or the unwanted attentions of the enviromental health departments ? You must either have incredible sound insulation or live next door to David Morales. Please fill us in on the details as this is a huge issue for myself and most of my friends within the d.j. industry , small scale local guys and big international names alike.
In the U.K. we now have quite onerous restrictions on noise levels created in the home. This is going to be an increasing problem due to the growth in home studios. The increase in processor power means that there is hardly a d.j. i know without this facility.

edwardcampbell
12-20-2002, 11:57 PM
First the Rane EQ's will be replaced by the firsy of the year, however they have worked well for me in many ways. I will probably go with BSS or ASHLY, I have not made up my mind yet. Maybe I will buy both and determine which sounds good to me. Second, my system is in my cellar aware from my wife and neighbors, I can drive my system enough for the cellar and no one would ever know. Just me and the concrete block walls. The foundation walls that is, no one in my area even knows the tyoe of system that is in my cellar. As for the 750A, its probably one of the best amps BGW has ever made. I have a 750B, 750C and 500D and the 750A sounds better than all of them on low mids. I am looking for a Urei 6500 for my subs to test against my PSA-2's.

edwardcampbell
12-20-2002, 11:59 PM
The system in my basement:

(1) Urei 1620 Mixer (tone controls defeated)
(3) Vintage SL-1200's Turntables
(3) Stanton 680EL Cartidges, not MK II's
(2) Techics Reel to Reels, 1500 and 1506
(1) Technics RS-M85 MKII Cassette Deck
(1) RLA X-3000 Crossover
(1) DBX 500 Sub Processor
(1) RG Dynamics Range Enhancer, upgrading to DBX 503
(2) Rane PE 15's Parametric EQ's (Full Range EQing Only)

(1) Crown PSA-2 on Subs (RLA C Horns)
(1) BGW 750a on Full Range (JBL Full Range Cabinets, upgrading to Americanas

(1) BGW 100B on JBL Bullet Tweeters (Rings)

My home studio can blow away alot of club systems, I am constantly looking at equipment and testing to see what is better and trust me, not much out there is better. My BGW 750A is a tough amp, that amp can hold its own against anything made today. On full range the 750A sings all day long. PSA-2 forget about it, it's the only amp for Sub Bass. Scott can attest to that. If you were not around or into sound in the 60's or 70's there is not really much you would know unless someone taught you. Sound is very basic and straight forward nothing digital to make things sound better. If you hear a flute live does your ears need a digital processor, I don't think so, true sound is true sound. Richard Long knew that well that is why his systems at their worst would out perform anything designed today and I mean anything.

perezs
01-31-2003, 10:21 PM
IN MY HOME STUDIO I HAVE AN RLA CONSOLE, DESINGED BY RICHARD FOR ME BACK IN 1978 IN IT, IT HAS 3 VINTAGE 1200'S, ONE 3 CARD UREI 1620, 6 BOSE 802'S, 2 302 BOSE BASE BOTTOMS,2 802-C CONTROLLERS, 2 CROWN PSL-2 AMPS, 2 MC7200 AMPS BY MCINTOSH , 1 CARVER PM-300 POWER AMP, 6 RLA BULLET ARRAYS,1 RLA X3000,1 RLA X4000,1 DBX 224 NOISE REDUCTION TYPE 2,1 PIONEER 909 REEL TO REEL,1 TASCAM 122 MK2 CASSETTE DECK,1 PIONEER PDR-509 CD BURNER,1 DENON CD PLAYER WITH PITCH CONTROLL,1 SONY DIGITAL STUDIO COMPUTER WITH ALL THE GOODIES FLAT SCREEN,DVD BURNER,CD BURNER,BOTH REWRITABLES,WITH KLIPSCH THX 5.1 SPEAKERS,PLUS BOSE AM5 MONITORS AND 301 SPEAKERS. NEED I SAY MORE... I'M HAPPY

perezs
01-31-2003, 10:35 PM
YO ED, YOU TOO HAVE A NICE SYSTEM.. AND SO DOES SCOTT FITLIN. PLAY ON MY BROTHERS PEACE.

clubman5
01-31-2003, 10:35 PM
Sounds good! I want to hear it!

djmariog
02-01-2003, 07:45 AM
ED,

I HAD THE SAME RANE EQ. I SOLD IT AND PICKED UP THE ASHLEY DO TO THE FACT I DID NOT WANT TO SPEND THE THE MONEY ON THE BSS. I DID FIND THE BSS 960 2 MONTHS LATER ON EBAY FOR $950.00. THERE IS A HUGE DIFF. IN SOUND. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.GO WITH THE BSS 960 ALL THE WAY!!!. I HAVE IT OVER A MACRO 2400 WITH NO NOISE PICK UP.

SHORTY
THE BOZAK PROTYPE I SOLD YOU IS A 10-2DLAB WITH BOOTH MONITOR

MY SYSTEM
REMBER THIS IS A MOBIL SOUND SYSTEM.

UREI 1620 EXTRA CUSTOM BY ME....
WHICH I COULD EXPLAIN LATER
3-1210 TURNTABLE (WHICH ARE NEVER ON THE ROAD)
1-DSX CROSSOVER
2-DENON 2100 UNITS
1-DENON MINIDISC UNIT
4-RCF ART 400A POWERED
4-POWERED JBL 18" POWERED SUBS
1-BSS 3 WAY CROSSOVER (360 ?)
1-BSS 960 EQ
1-BGW 150
1-MA-2400
4-YORKVILLE 508 BUILT WITH BALTIC BIRCH LIKE THE TX
RUNNING THE BGW 150 ON 2" HORN AND MA 24 ON THE 15"

I COULD DO A PARTY FOR 10 OR 1000 PEOPLE
MOST OF THE TIME I GO OIUT WITH MY RCF 400A GREAT SPEAKERS
BLOW AWAY THE MACKIE SRM450.

DJMARIOG@AOL.COM

jaybike
02-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Mario, Scott, Soundmanshorty here is my soundsystem setup.
I do not use any outbooard crossovers I use outboard equalizers. It is a little unique soundsystem.
(2)DENON DP-DJ101 DIRECT DRIVE TURNTABLES. One turntable has a Discmaster cartridge and the turntable has a Trackmaster cartridge.
(1)DENON DP-DJ151 DIRECT DRIVE TURNTABLE with Discmaster cartridge.
(2)BBE SONIC MAXIMIZER 362 FOR RECORDING.
(1)BBE SONIC MAXIMIZER 362SW FOR RECORDING. The BBE SONIC MAXIMIZERS 362SW sounds a little warmer than the BBE SONIC MAXIMIZER 362 when RECORDING TO TAPE.
(2)ROLLS SONIC EXCITERS.
(2)PIONEER CONSUMER TYPE CD-PLAYERS interconnected to the ROLLS SONIC EXCITERS for warmth,clarity and presence.
(2)TASCAM PORTA 2 MULTITRACK TAPE RECORDERS.
(1)TASCAM 301 MINI DISC PLAYER AND RECORDER.
(1)TEAC DUAL WELL CASSETTE TAPE DECK.
(1)BEHRINGER COMPOSER MDX220O DYNAMIC PROCESSOR FOR TAPE PLAYBACK.
(1)MARANTZ PORTABLE CD PLAYER.
(1)GEMINIDJ KL-1 FREQUENCY ELIMINATOR. One input channel switched to phono and the other channel switched to line level. The phono input channel is for the DENON DP-DJ151 TURNTABLE and the other side that is switched for line level is for the MARANTZ PORTABLE CD-PLAYER.
(1)TASCAM CDRW700 CD WRITER. This is a psychotic machine that is friendly and sometimes not so friendly.
(1)LEXICON MPX100 EFFECTS UNIT interconnected to the BEHRINGER COMPOSER MDX220O DYNAMIC PROCESSOR side chain send and return.
(1)AUDIO SOURCE POWER AMP. I am going to install an ART 15 BAND EQUALIZER to the power amp input which gets the signal fed from my mixers booth output.
(4)STANTON ISM MIXER. Three used for tape recording and one for playback use.
(1)DIGITECH TSR6 EFFECTS UNIT. I use this unit for MINI-DISC PLAYBACK only to add the extra warmth, clarity and prescence to the songs on the disc.
(4)Custom built HORN LOAD 3 WAY SPEAKERS with PIONEER 10 INCH WOOFERS AND 5 INCH MIDRAGES and tweeters with one pair of speakers that only have Motorola Tweeters.
(1)JBL SPEAKERS PAIR.
(1)YAMAHA SPEAKERS PAIR.
(1)HARMON KARDON HK300 RECEIVER WITH BASS AND TREBLE TONE CONTROLS AND MODIFIED OUTPUT TRANSITORS. FULL ANALOG AMP not like what they have out here today. THE HARMON KARDON HK300 RECEIVER WAS BUILT IN 1969 AND STILL GOING STRONG.
(1)PYRAMID STUDIOPRO 10BAND EQ INTERCONNECTED TO THE HARMON KARDON HK300 RECEIVER FOR MORE PRECISE FREQUENCY CONTROL.
MY MIXERS MAIN OUTPUT FEEDS THE SIGNAL TO THIS EQUALIZER.
(1)GEMINIDJ PS-727 DJ MIXER WITH GEMINIDJ KL-1 FREQUENCY ISOLATOR interconnected to channel three for third turntable use and interconnected to channel two for isolating signals from a music cd.
(1)GEMINIDJ DS-2024 SAMPLER interconnected the BEHRINGER COMPOSER MDX220O DYNAMIC PROCESSOR input for tape playback.

Peace

jaybike
02-01-2003, 03:21 PM
I love this soundsystem setup because of the fact that I get the opportunity to hear a whole album or track from a record, tape, or CD be remixed on the fly for club use and also have the neighbors call the police on me because of the music being to loud. But anyway lastnight I was in deep trouble because one neighbor came to my house and said can you please turndown the music. I said okay. The second time the neighbor came back to the house and said can you please turn it down it is still to loud. I said okay. The third time the neighbor came back to my house and said turn it down a little lower. I said if I turn it down lower I will not hear anything. The neighbor said either turn it down lower or I will call the cops. I said to the neighbor you know what I will just shut it down for the night because I just do not want to cause an confusion. It was kind of funny because I didn`t really even know that my soundsystem was still that loud even though I had the volume turned down very low. I like to rattle and drive my neighbors minds nuts and wild every once in a while. That shows them that I am the man with soundsystem. I also have been following soundmanshorty`s website to get a little view of how a soundsystem for club use is suppose to look and sound.

Peace

soundmanshorty
02-01-2003, 03:58 PM
2 - Richard long power strips(1 from NYC Palladium)
1 - Bozak mixer cma-10-2dl Proto type
1 - DBX 3BX ( 1 spare)
4 -Urei 539 cut only eqs w/8 spare (2 from club zanzibar 2 from nyc Palladium 2from empire roller rink 2 new in the boxes)
2 - Bryston 10B -SBS Modified-
1 - Acoustilog spatial enhancer IE - 102
1 - RLA 3400 ( many spares including 4000,5000,2000,3000)
1 - technics rs 1500(1 spare)
3 - technics 1200 mk2 ( 2 spare)
3 - Audio Technologies vu meters ( 3 spare)
1 - Tascam 202 Dual well cassette
2 - Tascam da 20
1 - SBS Disco console with reel to reel extension
3 - Grado Prestiege Gold hifi cartriges
1 - Raxxess 44-25 rack
1 - Crown D-75 ( 1 Spare)
2 - Bryston 2B ( 1 Spare)
1 - Bryston 3B
1 - Mcintosh 2300
1 - Crown PSA 2 modified ( 3 spares)
2 - Richard Long Emeralds
2 - Altec Lansing Voice of the theatre A-7 421-8 LF original never reconed ( 1 Spare 421-8LF as well never reconed)
2 - SBS Mid High tops
2 - 075 Bullet tweeters Alnico
2 - 077 Slot Tweeters Alnico
2 - 2441 Horn Drivers
2 - JBL 2309 horn
2 - JBL 2310 koustic lens

I as well have it in my basement but i dont play it to the point of desturbing my neibors anymore lol unless i want to.
check the pics at www.systemsbyshorty.com for those who havent seen it already.

bull19
02-01-2003, 05:40 PM
1. Are your Neighbours friendly towards you,or are they rude complaining idiots?

2. Are you running it at night ,or louder than 90db?
It's perfectly legal to play a system at no more than 90db in the daytime.And the hours when it's legal at 90db is 9am till 9 pm.Thats what i've been told by the council.

3. If you still play it at legal times,and the neighbours complain. 1. Ignore them,and soon they're shut up.
2. get soundproofing,but it costs a lot,and makes your walls look ugly.
3. beat them up,if they're true enemies,but not a wise one to do in broad daylight,because other people will call the police.
4. Move to a fully detached house,ideally with acres of empty land,but this costs way too much.Well a fully detached house or good sound proofing is the way to start.
If you happen to get on with your neighbours.I like everyone in my street,except for my next door neighbours,who shout racist comments,if i play it loud.
And the next door neighbours do diy[banging and drilling] at 2 am at night,either they're busy in the day or they have mental problems.
As you said it was in your basement.At least no sound can travel below you,but it can escape through windows,doors,and ceilings and walls.

I suggest you put a thick metal door on the basement,or thick solid wood[which looks better].And seal up any gaps or cracks with flexible filler.Brick up any windows,if you have any in the basement.And put 2 inches of sound absorbing foam on all the walls,door,and ceiling,without leaving any gaps.Then your basement is almost soundproof.
The thick metal,or solid wood door,plus flexible filler and sound proofing foam,plus special glue; will not cost you more than a grand 1000.You can also buy special bass traps to stop deep bass from escaping from the room.
Well i've done that to my bedroom,and the racist next door neighbour,has stop banging on my door,and shouting abuse.Either it's worked or the family has gone deaf from their constant DIY.

frankddr
02-02-2003, 09:33 PM
Dang,,some of you guys home systems are much bigger than my mobile system!
My usual mobile dj setup
booth/
two 1200s,
denon dual cd,
Phillips cd recorder
Numark MMX1000 mixer (Urei lookalike)or Bozak depending on where I am(home or mobile ) .
Crest1501 monitor amp
EVSX80 monitor

White 31 eq
Yorkville 160 proccesor
2 Yorkville Elite 160 tops (10" and 1" )
2 Mackie SRS 1500s subs
2 Crest LT1000s (one as a spare )
set up for ease of use ,small size and easy to pack.
dont let the small speakers fool you,it plays loud enough and sounds clean for groups up to 250-300.

If I have the need for larger gigs (and more money)I also have 2 PAS t12s (12" and 1" )2 EAW FR159s (15" and 1" ) and 4 Meyer Sound 500 tops(15" and 1" ) and 2 Meyer Sound 500 subs(18" ) powered by Meyer Sound MS500 amps with built in proccesing..They are big and heavy though so its got to be something big and paying good for me to bring these out.
For extra amps I have Crest 3001,Crest 4001,Stewart P1800,Carver 1.5 monoblock, Rane 6ch amp ,BGW 7000,2 Crest Ca4s,and a bunch of crap I dont even remember anymore..
Hi,My name is Frank and I have a buying problem..
:)

50 linear ft of 14" aluminum box trussing with up to 6 tees depending on the need
6 TechniLux Tracker moving yoke units
2 Coemar/TAS 250 Moving Mirror units
1 ClayPaky Sapphire
1 AMDJ starball (mirrorball style) light
assorted fog and haze machines.

I also dj plus do Live sound for a dance band "Ariel"
I use my booth above plus a Behringer 32/8 channel board but use their sound system
mains
4 Apogee artist 4000 tops
4 Apogee artist 5000 bottoms
2 QSC4000EX

Have found that when it comes to mobile sound systems,smaller is better..people are much more impressed by a nice lighting,,usually you really cant use the full output anyways of a good sound system in most gigs and they have no clue what good sound is.They also wont pay extra for a bigger sound system but will for lighting. I get all sorts of comments on how good my small system sounds and they cant beleive they music is coming from those little speakers. lol..

you can see a fuzzy(crappy) pic of a meduim size setup I did couple weeks ago at http://www.hotrodlincoln.org/truss.jpg
I only used 60% of my trussing and lights,for sound I was using a weird combination of 2 PAS T12s,2 Mackie subs,2meyer subs and the 2 EAW on stands.That was a good client that paid extra for it.Wish they all would!

Frank
plpaudio@ix.netcom.com