View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
For general commercial audio I'm all for it. It definitely simplifies system design.

I guess my issue for higher end stuff is placing DACs in amps. It's the whole buying a home receiver vs separates thing. It could be my baggage to the past but I do feel a centralized DSP with high-end DACs is the way to go for higher end audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by der geile ami
the way i see it, why have a separate dsp if the amps can link together and be controlled by the same software?

some lab gruppen amps have lake dsps in them.

nexos amps have their dsps in them.

same goes for l'acoustics

is a crown xti in the same league, of course not

i know one local provider that uses dbx 260s and powersoft k series amps, which really baffles me, as the dsp in those amps is likely a few notches higher in quality.

my hope for the future is that more mixers will have ethernet outputs and we reduce our need for noisy copper runs. audio over lan can carry 64 channels in both directions, so all devices could share the same network and an ipad instead of a fullsize tablet can control and monitor everything. even better would be wlan, but we are still a long ways away from reliable high quality transmission.

note: it doesnt have to be an ipad, but that is the default device the big boy live mixer companies are writing their control apps for.