Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 01:45 AM

Compact Disc Jockeys

Hey everyone,

Been meaning to post this for a while now.
Hopefully it might start a bit of friendly debate.

What I want to know is this;

What made you start using CDJs ?

Personally I can't see myself ever buying them, but there are a lot of smart people posting here, and it seems that most of them use CDs for DJing.
So maybe I am missing something.

What actually made you decide to go out and buy CDJs and make the switch from vinyl.
And, do you think you made the right decision.

I can totally understand the guys who rent out systems and are just meeting a demand.

But for everyone else, I'm interested to know your thoughts.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:52 AM

Hi Clydebuilt,
as a mobile DJ, I move my stuff to different locations for almost each performance, so besides good sound and the right songs, size and weight are also important factors to me.

I started to buy slow songs on CD because the inevitable scratches that starts to appear on often played vinyl records. And especially on slow songs you notice them.
Then I slowly started to buy other stuff on CD as well. So for some time I played both vinyl and CD.
CD burners were still extremely expensive, but I found a DAT-recorder that I recorded my vinyls on (no beatmatching with that one ).
So now I was using CD and DAT.
When I got my first CD burner I went to CD only.
And today Im use a laptop computer with CDs as backup.
As laptops are getting cheaper I think I will get another one as backup,
then I will leave the CDs at home.

Today Im importing my vinyls into my external hard drive,
with almost audiophile grade equipment and DA/AD, so when I play from the computer the sound is very close to the original vinyl.

/Carl
Old 08-03-2007, 12:30 PM

Well, I use Denon S-3500,s and a D-6000. I loved vinyl, but as the selection in record stores began drying up I knew I needed to make a change. 2 years ago, I would walk into whatever record shop. ask for this or that, they would say they didnt have it, couldnt get it, or it wasnt coming out on vinyl. Not to mention at 15bucks a 12in, it really got very pricey. But even still, I would go to the record shops, and I had to work hard just to spend a hundred dollars, the selection just wasnt there.

IMO, the last good year for vinyl was 2002, and 2003.

Now, with the advent of downloads, you go to sites like Beatport, thats where the selection is. And yeah, its work to make downloads sound decent, but, this is the way it is.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:20 PM

I did it for the selection as well as the cost. I'd say Scott is right that around 2002-03 the selection went down fast. A few weeks ago i was in philly exited to go to one of my favorite stores 611, only to find out they are not there any more. Alot of good record stores have closed, making it even harder to stick with vinyl.

allen
Old 08-03-2007, 01:22 PM

I have definitely NOT made the switch to CD's, but I did pick up one of the early CDJ's back around '96 for the purpose of doing my own edits/loops in Soundforge or Acid, and then burning them to disc. It added some spice to my mixtapes. I currently have a Denon DND4500 for the same purpose, but don't use it much.

I haven't done any serious record shopping in years, so I guess I haven't realized the extent to which the market has dried up. I much prefer to play my classics on vinyl, and can usually find what I'm looking for on 12" - I'm just not looking for much *new* music.

I don't think I'll ever fully embrace the switch to digital. Call me a retro grouch, but DJ'ing started with turntables, and by god thats where it should stay. Sure, a lot of modern gear gives you the flexibility to tweak the music in ways never thought of before, but if I wanted REAL flexibility, I'd buy a keyboard and play whatever the hell I wanted, and not be limitied AT ALL by any portion of the prerecorded material.

Theres something magical about taking something as archaic as two analog turntables and several slabs o' plastic and making seamless musical transitions.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 PM

Just like almost everyone on this forum I'm a die-hard vinyl addict. Unfortunately due to the cost of vinyl, and the US dollar's exchange rate with the Philippine Peso I had to bite the bullet around 2002.

Being a resident DJ in a club required me to play some tracks that I didnt necessarily like myself. So to balance things off I discovered downloading around this time. I would get downloads of tracks that were more commercial hits. I reserved the vinyl purchases for my more-purists indulgences. FYI the last legit vinyl store in the Philippines closed its doors 5 years ago. I still fly regularly to Hong Kong (HMV) & Singapore (Valentine's & HMV) to buy vinyl.

15 years ago you could tell how much my net worth was with the size of my collection. Now, maturity and marriage have eaten into that pie.

I now incorporate Native Instruments Traktor Scratch into my rig. This lets me still use turntables, vinyl and MP3 files, together. Knowledge of how to properly use a turntable is something most of the younger generation DJs are not equipped with.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:54 PM

I've actually had some kids ask me where I get my "giant-sized" cds.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:31 PM

Haha!

This year during one Maybelline promotion tour, a little kid said to his father: "Look, the man has a large black CD!"

I purchased a semi-functional CDJ-500 last summer as I didn't have too much experience from CD decks. Didn't end up using it at all in my mixes.

This spring I got a pair of 800mk2s, as every time I would go to a (12") record store, I'd walk out with empty hands or with a maximum of three records. The selection of 12" funky house has simply died around here in Helsinki. (or I just don't know what to look for)

When I throw gigs, I generally use both formats. I still prefer the sound of well pressed vinyl to audio CDs.

The local organ for "Supervising performed music" is very unflexible towards (legally) downloaded mp3s/wavs. In general, each sound file would need to be licensed. When playing out original CDs or vinyl, they don't care as long as the venue has taken care of the monthly fee for "Playing out copyrighted music".

As I am a semi-mobile dj, I chose the CD format instead of Serato. This makes throwing random gigs more convenient, definately at after parties and on the beach. Let's see in 3 years time. I might have switched to the computer age.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen
I did it for the selection as well as the cost. I'd say Scott is right that around 2002-03 the selection went down fast. A few weeks ago i was in philly exited to go to one of my favorite stores 611, only to find out they are not there any more. Alot of good record stores have closed, making it even harder to stick with vinyl.

allen
This was the clincher for me. I would go to the record shops, I had MONEY to spend, but they didnt have the selections I wanted and needed.

Now, I LOVE analog audio, I am back into some NEW Altec woofers, man they sound fantastic, and they work well with todays digital sources! Got rid of the aluminum dustcap, and went with brand new 416-8C,s. AND there are still some companies making and supporting analog audio, and high efficiency speaker systems. BUT, records? No one makes them the right way too much anymore, pressing plants closed, stores ( IF THEY ARE STILL IN EXISTENCE ) have limited selections of titles, and way too expensive, and Beatport and Traxsource have the COOL tunes that belong in a nightclub.

Had to learn how to work with CD,s and a laptop! But, yes, a well recorded record still sounds THE BEST!

Last edited by clubman5 : 08-03-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:59 PM

beatport is about to launch a hip hop DL site

think it will be called beatsource or something....

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 08-03-2007, 05:05 PM

And that will be very succesful, as many hip hop DJ,s I know already love and use Serrato as their prefered method of playing source material.

And thats why things are changing, because the people are supporting the new formats. In 1994, most DJ,s wouldnt even touch a CD, in 2004, CD,s were pretty much all any DJ wanted to carry, and in 2007, the laptop is all they want to carry.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:52 PM

pretty soon it'll be down to a harddrive IMO.....

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 08-03-2007, 06:29 PM

yeah, well its all fun and games until your OS crashes.

The ONLY dawback I see to LP's is they're heavy. But thats what your entourage is for.....
Old 08-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA.audio
pretty soon it'll be down to a harddrive IMO.....

As soon as Pioneer takes a swing back at Serato and makes a MK4 or something with a USB connection, harddrives will be all we carry.

I posted this on another forum, but it fits here:

My reasons for switching back in late '01:
1) The ability to play windy picnics, floats, boats, on creeking floors or near loadspeakers. Places that are at times prohibitive to turntables.
2) They let me leave my rare and precious vinyl at home. Given what people are paying on ebay, it would be nothing to have a crate valued at $3K or $4K on a given night otherwise. I've heard of people getting jacked for cuts, car accidents, cars towed on hot days with cuts in the trunk....all kinds of stuff. Everything I have is backed up twice. Recovery is a matter of going home.
3) Everytime you play a cut, you degenerate the grooves. Back cuing is worse. Playing, backcuing, scratching, or whatever in a smokey club environment with added vibrations, drunk people and etc. nearby is more than incrementally worse. I love my vinyl. Not just the songs, but sometimes the story behind the acquisition of the record itself gives it sentimental value.
4) No need to invest in travel cartridges
5) Looping added some on the fly creative options.
6) I'd seen too many 1200's w/ bad cable connections and etc. from too much handling. So, I wanted mine to stay at home. CDJ's seem to travel better and are quicker and easier to hook up.
7) CDJ's and cd's are lighter than 1200's and records respectively.

Now I'm glad I switched because I now have the ability to shop download sites for my music. This is huge and very controversial. But, it just makes so much music, available at all times, instantly, and to everyone: No more spending three hours in the record store only to come out with one or two so so cuts that are the back side mixes on some $19.99 import. No more waiting for the local store to get your order in, or watching all the good stuff come in ones and twos only to be soaked up by the guys that work there. I can stay up and shop for cuts at 1 am on a business trip to Alaska if I chose.

This wasn't the topic. But I'll add, that I think laptops improve on all this by:
1) Eliminating the need to compile multiple copies of cd's and label them (very time consuming)
2) No more concern if the spot you're going to has cdj's or whatever. DVS works with both cd players and turntables
3) You can search by punching in the first few letters of a key word as opposed to flipping through your book or jewel cases, hoping you put stuff back the right place. You also can use album art as a visual search aid.
4) CDR's have a shelf life. And, you can make masters, but they may not copy right. CDR sound quality is an issue as well.
5) A couple of programs are offering MIDI and rewire letting you run music composition programs. You can create new stuff on the spot!
6) CD players are limted to CD quality (16 bit/44.1kHz). A couple of the other programs will give you a higher bit rate and sample rate.

I'm sure there are other advantages as well. And certainly there are disadvantages (the ubiquitous sound quality issue for one). But, for me, it's been worth the tradeoff.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:29 PM

i started using CDs because i started getting gigs where there weren't any turntables in house, and i wasn't about to bring mine.
then i started taking CDs along with my vinyl, because there was just to much music that i had on CD that i wanted to play.
then i started preferring CDs because of the looping, and because in many venues the turntables were in such disrepair that the CDs sounded better.

these days i tend to play older songs off vinyl, and CDs with new stuff, but i see myself going the hard disc route soon.

i doubt i'll toss my records yet though, until the high res digital war settles down a bit and i feel i can be confident in my choice of archival medium.

basically, i want to be able to bring more music, and i want to be able to sort through it easier, and i want to rely less on in-house gear.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:12 PM

Everything everyone has said so far is correct.

Then comes the day that the only available prerecorded formats for music are hardrive, and downloads.

At that time, we have no choice anymore. I know that IF they made records the way they once did, there are true diehards out there that WILL buy the vinyl, and OTOH, at $1.99 to $2.49 for an MP3 or WAV file, people will opt to go for the economical solution.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 PM

^^^^

Both of the above posts bring up some very good points. Here are a few counterpoints just to play devils advocate:

-Bad cabling connections can happen regardless of TT or CD
<edit> I've actually considered modding my decks with jacks so I could remove/extend the cables if necessary. </edit>

- Any venue that puts the DJ on a stage near either the sub cabs or the drunk patrons is not somewhere you want to be period. A spilled beer ruins a CD player just as easily as it ruins a TT.

- Likewise, any venue that requires you to bring your own hardware (CD deck or TT) is not somewhre you really want to base your music library around. A serious club should have its own gear - both CD and TT.

-With a good quality cartridge that is properly balanced, repetitive playing does not do that much damage. On the contrary, removing a CDR type cd from its travel case sleeve might do just as much. I have several cd's that the Alpine in my Jeep cant read just because I've pulled it in and out of the visor sleeve case too many times.

- Looping. Do I need to say it again? Jamman. 'Nuf said.

- As far as getting jacked for records, well.....em....lets just say you better bring ALL your boys if your planning on taking my shit....

<edit> But the point you make about heat damage due to circumstances beyond your control is very good, as is playing in a dynamic setting (boat, float, etc.) Does wind really come into play? Wow, that would be crazy.

Last edited by jnkarrik : 08-03-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkarrik
^^^^

Both of the above posts bring up some very good points. Here are a few counterpoints just to play devils advocate:

-Bad cabling connections can happen regardless of TT or CD
<edit> I've actually considered modding my decks with jacks so I could remove/extend the cables if necessary. </edit>

- Any venue that puts the DJ on a stage near either the sub cabs or the drunk patrons is not somewhere you want to be period. A spilled beer ruins a CD player just as easily as it ruins a TT.

- Likewise, any venue that requires you to bring your own hardware (CD deck or TT) is not somewhre you really want to base your music library around. A serious club should have its own gear - both CD and TT.

-With a good quality cartridge that is properly balanced, repetitive playing does not do that much damage. On the contrary, removing a CDR type cd from its travel case sleeve might do just as much. I have several cd's that the Alpine in my Jeep cant read just because I've pulled it in and out of the visor sleeve case too many times.

- Looping. Do I need to say it again? Jamman. 'Nuf said.

- As far as getting jacked for records, well.....em....lets just say you better bring ALL your boys if your planning on taking my shit....

<edit> But the point you make about heat damage due to circumstances beyond you control is very good, as is playing in a dynamic setting (boat, float, etc.) Does wind really come into play? Wow, that would be crazy.

Your doing a good job and your couterpoints are all valid. But it depends on your mindset about the whole thing. I've spent over twenty years acquiring my collection. Since that time I'm now on my 4th pair of turntables (my 1st new pair...ten years old now), I'm on my 5th mixer and my second set of cdj's. All this gear is disposable. If my gear gets damaged, I send it to the shop. Then I sell it because, I'll want something new anyway. But, the music isn't replaceable. I could do an insurance claim and get full value for my collection and still not be able to replace it. I've got the money to buy any record I want to buy, but I still can't buy some cuts 'cause they're just hard to find or people don't want to sell them.

I'm not a professional dj. I'm a Mechanical Engineer. It would it be cool if it were possible for me to be pro, sure. Maybe, I don't know if I can or want to live that lifestyle. But, meanwhile, I dj picnics, barbecues for friends, one off parties in live music venues, apartment clubhouse parties, talent shows and etc. I'm going to be near my drunk friends, near subs, on unstable tables, and in wind. I played a picnic in Chicago this past weekend, in Hyde Park near M.S.I, turntables would have been worthless. When I get invited to play at a club, I don't trust that they know the number of hours on their needles. And often times, there's no headshells there anyway. Also, every needle cuts a different groove. So, cd's are it for me.

Regarding 1200's, I'm not interested in modifying mine. That's too much trouble. CDJ's don't have permanent cables, so they don't have those issues. They have other problems. Let's get it straight, CDJ's are disposable toys. I have no misconceptions that I'll die with mine.

Regarding records, every time you handle one you degrade it. You can add rega arms and properly balance cartridges and whatever. You'll still degrade them faster than just listening to them. CD's have issues too. That's why you just throw them out and burn new ones when their damaged. If you switch to DVS, you don't even have that problem.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
Everything everyone has said so far is correct.

Then comes the day that the only available prerecorded formats for music are hardrive, and downloads.

At that time, we have no choice anymore. I know that IF they made records the way they once did, there are true diehards out there that WILL buy the vinyl, and OTOH, at $1.99 to $2.49 for an MP3 or WAV file, people will opt to go for the economical solution.

Digital radio and digital TV is a bigger concern because to me. That's too much control of our communication. That's when our choices will be taken away. We'll have to hide analog radios and try to tune into radio free America one day! Pick up a copy of Total Recall or Rollerball and watch those movies. They're trying to tell us what's about to happen.

But seriously, I don't care about owning this stuff on vinyl anyways. Most of was recorded digitally. So, to me, a digital file will be closest to the original recording. Now, if it was recorded via an analog medium, then give me vinyl.

Last edited by DJBIGREG : 08-03-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:19 AM

I love my vinyl and I still only buy vinyl. However, if I ever do the odd party I use CDs and its for the very reasons that have been mentioned. If I loose a CD, it not a problem. If I loose a record, it's not easy to replace.

What bothers me about this shift (from Vinyl-CD-HD) is that we have made so many advancements in the field of digital audio but nothing has really improved. At this point, we should all be using a stereo 24 bit-192kHz format but we've actually settled for worse than CD quality sound. At minimum, we should be using WAV files. I find that MP3s are overpriced considering the quality of the product. I realize that the same could be said for vinyl as there are poorly mastered and pressed releases.

The bottom line is that no matter what technology DJs use the sound quality depends totally on the source and that itself is the problem.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:05 PM

I love both vinyl and CDJ's and I use both. Each has different advantages. Playing on CDJ's is definatly more economical with the cost of downloads vs. cost of vinyl. I can cary somewhere between 300 to 500 CD's much easier than I could cary 100 records due to size and weight differences, and you can just do a hell of alot more on a CDJ than you can on a turntable. Plus as was already mentioned CDJ's are not prone to the problems a turntable is on bouncey floors, near huge sub stacks, or in windy outdoor situations. The other great thing is that tracks you download and burn don't degrade no matter how many times you play them where a record DOES degrade every time you spin it. Plus when you download tracks you have a digital copy on your hard drive that you can burn to as many cd's as you want. If you loose a cd or it gets damaged, no big deal just burn another copy and your good to go. As long as you back up your digital library you pretty much never have to worry about loosing your music. Scrathing or loosing an old record though... your probably screwed and won't ever find it again.

On the flip side, maybe I just like a different style of house than most here, or maybe it's just different here on the west coast then back east but I actually find things exactly the opposite of you guys as far as selection goes. I like labels like Amenti Music, Tango Recordings, Fetish Recordings, Jackin Tracks, Drop Music, Myna Music, OM Recordings, Salted Music etc, thats basicly my style and I have no problem at all finding what I want on vinyl. Actually the funny thing is that if I want things when they are first released I don't even have a choice, I HAVE to buy it on vinyl. Again maybe its just the labels I tend to buy from are different than what you guys buy but the way it usually works for most of my favorite labels is they release their stuff on vinyl first, then maybe a month or 2 months later they MAYBE release them to Beatport or Stompy etc. If I want to be totally currrent with whats coming out then vinyl is the only way to go for me.

The other thing is the sound. Tracks downloaded from Beatport etc. just sound different. I'm not saying they sound bad, but different. They just don't have the deep low end that I love and that vinyl has. If thats all you play 100% of the time then alot of people might not even notice, especially if you compensate with eq but when you constantly switch between vinyl and CDJ the difference is VERY noticable. I will say though that difference in bass response is my main issue with the sound of downloads. Aside from that I hear just as many great sounding tracks from Beatport as I do on vinyl, and I hear just as many shitty sounding records as I do shitty Beatport tracks. It all comes down to the mastering, if it was mastered right it's going to sound good and if it wasn't it doesn't matter what format its on its NOT going to sound good. Asuming we're talking about a track that has been properly mastered, nothing sounds better than a well pressed virgin record to me. On the other hand though, once that same record has been played a few hundred times and the grooves worn down I would prefer the sound of a digital copy because it still sounds brand new and will never degrade.

I play mostly at small underground parties, and small bars etc. and more often then not they have a pair of turntables and thats it. Sometimes they have 1 CD player in addition to a pair of turntables, but 2 CD players and 2 turntables is rare, and I have NEVER had a situation where they ONLY had CD players. The only times I have ever even seen that out here are psytrance parties. That whole genre has basically moved to cd only but I don't need to worry about that because I don't play or like psytrance.

Taking all of this into consideration, I have come up with a system that works for me. I buy ALL of my new music on vinyl and I keep about 55-60 records in my main UDG Trolly bag. When I need to make room in my bag for new records I pull the older records out, put them in my smaller back up record back that attatches to my main trolly bag, and search for a digital download of that record and burn it to CD. This gives me the best of all worlds so that no matter what the promoter has available to play on I have more than enough music on hand to play a great set. I usually talk to the promoter ahead of time to see what the set up will be. If its just a pair of turntables, I bring my main bag and my back up bag with the older stuff I pulled out of the main bag and maybe my main CD book just incase one of the other dj's brought a CD player out, if they have both turntables and CD players I bring my main bag and my CD books, and if I ever was to come across a situation where they only had CD players I'm still good to go. This way I am covered no matter what. I have been doing things this way for a while now and it works very well for me and I am happy with this system.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
On the flip side, maybe I just like a different style of house than most here, or maybe it's just different here on the west coast then back east but I actually find things exactly the opposite of you guys as far as selection goes. I like labels like Amenti Music, Tango Recordings, Fetish Recordings, Jackin Tracks, Drop Music, Myna Music, OM Recordings, Salted Music etc, thats basicly my style and I have no problem at all finding what I want on vinyl. Actually the funny thing is that if I want things when they are first released I don't even have a choice, I HAVE to buy it on vinyl. Again maybe its just the labels I tend to buy from are different than what you guys buy but the way it usually works for most of my favorite labels is they release their stuff on vinyl first, then maybe a month or 2 months later they MAYBE release them to Beatport or Stompy etc. If I want to be totally currrent with whats coming out then vinyl is the only way to go for me.

Nah mate it's not just you, It's the same here in he UK.
I play a similar vibe to you and like you said I got no probs finding records and most of the time the vinyl pressing comes out way ahead of the digital release or it's not ever released as a digital download and only available as a vinyl.
I spend a lot of money on vinyl as most of it is from America, I get more enjoyment from getting a physical thing with artwork etc than a download..
I also like the sound, digital sounds to clean I think for house, where is the nice hiss and crackle on that break down?
I spend crap loads of time everyday looking at the new releases section on juno listening to every new record that was out that day and also looking at the older gems.
I will buy and listen to all genres of house (Mainly deep/jacking), good hip-hop, funk, old disco/funk re-issues, D&B, old Rock stuff like the Doors. I love buying records!
That said as some of you may well know I also have CDJs and like using them too, I use stompy and beatport.
Vinyl vs CD? Who gives a shit, do what you like and what feels good.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
Vinyl vs CD? Who gives a shit, do what you like and what feels good.
This is where my heads at these days. I couldnt agree more.

I also agree with Kevin, that downloads sound different, I get them to sound decent, but its not vinyl, but oh well. Wav files through a good tube sounds good. Right now, Im using a Summit Audio DCL-200, and that thing helps digital sources immensely. Warm, clean, tubey, but not overly so, and adds some of the missing weight to the bottom end like analog recordings use to have.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
This is where my heads at these days. I couldnt agree more.

I also agree with Kevin, that downloads sound different, I get them to sound decent, but its not vinyl, but oh well. Wav files through a good tube sounds good. Right now, Im using a Summit Audio DCL-200, and that thing helps digital sources immensely. Warm, clean, tubey, but not overly so, and adds some of the missing weight to the bottom end like analog recordings use to have.

Just looked up that unit and it looks REALLY nice, but at $3,000 it's not practical for me. Would be hella sweet though. Do you run both your CD players to one unit or do you need a seperate unit for each CD player?

My isolator does a great job of adding warmth to my CD's with the tube. I'm really happy with how it sounds, but I have it hooked into the loop of my Urei so it affects everything. I would really like to find something that's not TOO expensive that I could plug just the CDJ's into to warm them up a little more and add a little more bottom to bridge that gap and get them to sound more like vinyl. The isolator CAN do this, but I don't have the budget or room for 3 more of them, and plus that would be adding per source EQ's to the CD players and none for the turntables and I don't want that. I'd really like something that isn't an eq or isolator, isn't TOO expensive, and would add more weight to the bottom and more warmth. If I had something like that ONLY going to the CD players, and THEN ran everthing through my isolator that would be ideal.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
Just looked up that unit and it looks REALLY nice, but at $3,000 it's not practical for me. Would be hella sweet though. Do you run both your CD players to one unit or do you need a seperate unit for each CD player?

My isolator does a great job of adding warmth to my CD's with the tube. I'm really happy with how it sounds, but I have it hooked into the loop of my Urei so it affects everything. I would really like to find something that's not TOO expensive that I could plug just the CDJ's into to warm them up a little more and add a little more bottom to bridge that gap and get them to sound more like vinyl. The isolator CAN do this, but I don't have the budget or room for 3 more of them, and plus that would be adding per source EQ's to the CD players and none for the turntables and I don't want that. I'd really like something that isn't an eq or isolator, isn't TOO expensive, and would add more weight to the bottom and more warmth. If I had something like that ONLY going to the CD players, and THEN ran everthing through my isolator that would be ideal.

If you want a slightly better/more bottom end from your cd's have you thought of one of those Aphex Aural Exciters? I heard some good things about them and they are not badly pricced.

http://www.aphex.com/204.htm

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 08-04-2007 at 04:23 PM.