Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 01:42 PM

Paradise Garage Floorplan

What was the layout for the Paradise Garage? Is the floorplan posted on the net somewhere? I'm not looking for acutal dimensions. I'm just curious about how it was laid out.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
The acoustilog paper has the layout in there..

http://acoustilog.com/disco1.html
Old 08-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Citizen

No floorplan, but a lot of interesting technical details on the sound and mainly the lighting at the Garage: http://www.agaragetribute.com/tech.html

/Daniel
Old 08-29-2007, 03:40 PM

there are pics on shortys website

also the exact dimensions are mentioned in the paper on the acoustilog site
Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 PM

cool, the garage had a DBX 120 subharmonic synthasizer. I just got one recently at an estate sale. It adds some really nice dimensions, particularly to older music.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf104
The acoustilog paper has the layout in there..

http://acoustilog.com/disco1.html

Thanks for the link. That was a very interesting read. I imagine "psuedo Klipsch" were not really Klipsch, but someone's attempt to make larger versions while keep the dimensions proportional.

My question is, how was the club laid out overall? Where was the Lounge in relation to the dancefloor? Where was the bar? Stuff like that.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:43 PM

was it the 120 dbx or the 100 or 110, probably the 500 rack mount right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonn
garage had a DBX 120 subharmonic synthasizer. I just got one recently at an estate sale. It adds some really nice dimensions, particularly to older music.

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM

You walked up the cement ramp, to the cashiers windows, then you tuned right, and entered through the doors, giving your ticket to the ticket taker, then if you turned and walked left, you hit the coatcheck room, if you turned right you headed directly into the club and out onto the dancfloor. I believe, if I remember correctly if you walked straight, from the ticket takers entrance, you walked into the emerald room which was built out of glass blocks and was a circular room.

Once out on the dancefloor, if you continued straight across the floor, to the back of the club, you passed under the DJ booth guest area, and in the back area was the main bar, no alcohol, but bowls of fruit punch, and bowls of fruit on the bar. Then, standing in this bar area, if you went left, you would hit the movie room, they had bleacher seating, and BIG screen, with movies playing. Was cool for its time. Pre video revolution era?

Standing in the back bar area, again, going left, in the summertime, they had a staircase leading up to the roof garden. This was a HUGE wood deck on the roof of the club, with gazebos, and a cool place to hang out. Summer only.

Walking into the back bar area, from where we originally came in, if you went straight, they had dressing rooms complete with showers.

Walking left to the movie room, and turning left, not going into the movie room, took you under the DJ booth, and back out onto the dancefloor, this time by the stage. Continuing straight, took you back upfront and to the emerald room.

In the back bar area, there was a staircase up to the DJ booth, and its guest area, walking further towards your left, there was a closet to hang your coat, walking two steps further and you were in the DJ booth, first were the lighting consoles, then the big RLA console with the Thorens TT,s and all the RLA gear, and whoever was opening for Larry, or if late enough, Larry himself. Behind the lighting console on the opposite wall was the big steel rotating tub record bin. Behind Larry, were some amp racks, and behind these racks, another small square room, a record room, and it was jam packed with records.

As I remember it.

Last edited by clubman5 : 08-29-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA.audio
was it the 120 dbx or the 100 or 110, probably the 500 rack mount right?
Twas the Model 500!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Banned

I used to work in 84 King Street as a field technician for Bell Atlantic, now Verizon from '99-2000 before being transfered to Jersey. It is one huge ass building. In certain parts of the building you could really see how high those ceilings were. The stairs weree still there but, access to the roof was not allowed. People used to come and take pics of the building all the time blocking the ramp and holding up traffic.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 PM

Yeah, even when I am in the city, I pass by 84 King St, and I stop, look, and feel the emotion of an era bygone. It was part of my childhood and young adulthood. Who knew we were actually part of history in the making? Let alone actual participants in creating that history?

Those were great times!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
You walked up the cement ramp, to the cashiers windows, then you tuned right, and entered through th doors, giving your ticket to the ticket taker, then if you turned and walked left, you hit the coatcheck room, if you turned right you headed directly into the club and out onto the dancfloor. I believe, if I remember correctly if you walked straight, from the ticket takers entrance, you walked into the emerald room which was built out of glass blocks and was a circular room.

Once out on the dancefloor, if you continued straight across the floor, to the back of the club, you passed under the DJ booth guest area, and in the back area was the main bar, no alcohol, but bowls of fruit punch, and bowls of fruit on the bar. Then, standing in this bar area, if you went left, you would hit the movie room, they had bleacher seating, and BIG screen, with movies playing. Was cool for its time. Pre video revolution era?

Standing in the back bar area, again, going left, in the summertime, they had a staircase leading up to the roof garden. This was a HUGE wood deck on the roof of the club, with gazebos, and a cool place to hang out. Summer only.

Walking into the back bra area, from where we originally came in, if you went straight, they had dressing rooms complete with showers.

Walking left to the movie room, and turning left, not going into the movie room, took you under the DJ booth, and back out onto the dancefloor, this time by the stage. Continuing straight, took you back upfront and to the emerald room.

In the back bar area, there was a staircase up to the DJ booth, and its guest area, walking further towards your left, there was a closet to hang your coat, walking two steps further and you were in the DJ booth, first were the lighting consoles, then the big RLA console with the Thorens TT,s and all the RLA gear, and whoever was opening for Larry, or if late enough, Larry himself. Behind the lighting console on the opposite wall was the big steel rotating tub record bin. Behind Larry, were some amp racks, and behind these racks, another small square room, a record room, and it was jam packed with records.

As I remember it.

Thanks for the written image. I'm actually trying to draw it out on a piece of paper. Tell me, was the dancefloor recessed? Was there walls on each side of the dancefloor?

I think a movie room is cool for today! It's interesting that the Garage and, as I understand it, the Music Box were both juice bars.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:03 PM

Yeah, there were walls, but not a square box type room, it was a very open big room. But it didnt feel like huge room, it had some intimacy to it, you know?

The dancefloor was not recessed.

The dancefloor at Studio54 was a small step down, but not at the Garage, however, it was a nice wood dancefloor. Back then, every club had a good wood dancefloor.

Around the dancefloor in certain areas of the Garage they had like carpeted step style seating. And people had their areas. They even had chicken wire across the mouths of the berthas to keep people and their belongings out of the cabinets.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
They even had chicken wire across the mouths of the berthas to keep people and their belongings out of the cabinets.
Great idea. they should do that still in some of these spots.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:41 AM

they have started to do this at stereo with some of the cabinets
Old 08-31-2007, 09:48 AM

Yeah, I would imagine its neccesary to do. First off, keeps people from spilling drinks in places you just cant get to and clean.

And second, believe it or not, before they had the mouths of the berthas fenced off so people could crawl into the, people actually would fall asleep in the horn mouths!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:34 PM

I dont know about chicken wire, but it is a good idea to do something to keep people and things from getting in such massive horns. We had some of the classic ported w-bins and it was a struggle to keep people from stuffing their jackets in the mouths. When I worked at twilo, there was an occasion where a bertha had to be opened and managed to find a make up kit (no drugs) stuck in the throat, nevermind bottles or cups that make their way. It's also not a very friendly place to ever find dead rodents.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:45 PM

The chicken wire fencing was to keep people and their belongings out.

Rodents get into anything, that cannot be helped. A dead rodent inside the horn flares, where you CANT get to it has to be nice, pump the bass, move some air, HEY, whats that smell?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
A dead rodent inside the horn flares, where you CANT get to it has to be nice, pump the bass, move some air, HEY, whats that smell?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah classic!!!!!!!!!!