Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 PM

Best sounding crossfader mixer

Ok, I got vintage equipment which includes a modified RLA X-2000 crossover, an original Urei 1620, RG Dynamics Series II Programmed Attack processor, of course a GSA isolator (new but I still consider it a classic), Techniques 1200 turntables. I am trying to get a crossfade mixer that is the best sounding. I don't care about features just the sound. I have a Rane MP24 that needs a bit of repairing and I recently purchased a Clubman Meteor Two mixer (yes from the old days). Any suggestions on getting a classic crossfade mixer comparable to the UREI or Bozak but just with a crossfader instead of knobs. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:40 PM

I would suggest a Rane MP44. I have had one for about 6 years and it is the best sounding mixer I have owned to date. If only it had a rotary option.....

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Urei 1603

http://www.ureidj.com/product_1603.aspx

I never use the crossfader though, I blend each channel up or down individually. I'm sure somebody in here who's listen to my sets can attest to the high quality transparent sound.

Last edited by Matthew Dowling : 03-09-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 PM

The MP24 is a great mixer, why not get it repaired and use that?

We use RANE MP44's and ECLER SCLAT208's and i love them both but i can't fault the RANE MP24 that you already have, I still have two and one is in my test set-up on my workbench which i've had since 1992 and never serviced, though it looks like it's taken a beating (and it has)..

Kieren.........

Last edited by Special.K : 03-09-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:24 PM

You could just get a crossfader for your exsisting mixer. Like this:

Here's the link:

http://www.alphamusique.com/html/custom.htm
Old 03-09-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc

Here's the link:

Thats a pretty cool idea!

Kieren...
Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Dowling
Urei 1603

http://www.ureidj.com/product_1603.aspx

I never use the crossfader though, I blend each channel up or down individually. I'm sure somebody in here who's listen to my sets can attest to the high quality transparent sound.

While it would not call its sound unpleasant, it is by no means transparent. I find the A&H mixers much more clear/clinical/accurate/sterile/whatever. It has that urei softness to it, if one wants that. I wish it had a separate record out.

Rodec and formula sound mixers are other contenders for faders. As a sound guy, I simply got for the xone 92 because it works, is clean, available, and the djs I work with know and usually want it.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc

Here's the link:

I have looked into these and got word from Alpha that it would cost 52500 yen which translates to $530 US plus shipping.($831 Aust)...very expensive with our Australian dollar at the moment

Though upon asking Mario his thoughts advised that it would degrade the sound of my Urei LE which is why i bought it in the first place...
Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 AM

That 1603 looks good. If it only didn't have that "Soundcraft" name on it. Over all I like the way the mixer is laid out. The one rack space crossfader looks good too. I'm assuming your turntables are hooked up to that and the outputs go to the Urei? If that is the case, is it going to the Urei as line level? My MP24 looks like its been to Mars and back. The faders are too smooth. No resistance. I guess I can always change the fader. I just wanted to know was there one mixer that stood out. I mean as far as rotary knobs, the classic Bozak and the original Urei are basically the winners hands down. I know Rane makes some good crossfade mixers, so I just wanted to see if there was one that stood out as far as sound quality.

P.S. can you post a picture of the back of that one rack space crossfader?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 AM

Hey I like the UREI T-shirts on that site. Too bad they are sold out.

Also I saw a five band EQ. Anyone used that brand before?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:06 AM

Maybe you could ask John K. or Mario G. how to get a Bozak HB unit. That is the Bozak unit with a crossfader on board. However I think they may be rare from the storys I read about them.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:30 AM

to name some more mixers:

- formula sound ff6000 (with rotary option)
- TLAudio Fat Fiddler
- a good old Biamp (DJ5600 or SCM7600) (get it HERE)
- Ecler Sclat
- Hi-Level PM4000/5000/6000
- and of course Rodec or Dateq Mixers
Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 PM

+1 for the Ecler Sclat 200VS with really nice 100mm Alps faders (I think they are Alps K-series). Also has an excellent crossfader.

I also like the Outline Pro 405.

This is of course IMHO.

/Carl
Old 03-10-2009, 04:24 PM

japanese made numarks were what all the good hiphop djs used back in the day...they sounded real fat and clean and had great eqs(program...not on each channel)... im sure you can get em for a few bucks today...and they are real tough on mobile gigs!!! anyone know what mixer is on the 1st costes cd? is that an old biamp? it looks real cool...with its 300mm(?!?) faders...hahaha
Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 PM

apparently this low budget Xone mixer uses all the same components as the big ones:

Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 AM

Wassup Garage At Large!!!

I had a Biamp SCM 7600 that sounded great and had more features than any mixer I've ever owned. I've got a GLI 5990 (knobs+cross fader) that sounds good. But it only has three channels. Other than that, maybe the early "wide body" PPD series Numarks: 1750, 1850, 1900, 1950, and of course the MMX 1000 and 2000. Only one of those models had balance outs and I can't remember which. Whatever you get, remember, the crossfaders usually aren't replaceable. And there's only a cottage industry for restoring old Bozaks and Ureis. Everything else will be tough to get refurbished.

Reg
Old 03-11-2009, 01:48 PM

there's a mmx1000 on ebay right now...

i think John may have had one refurbed a few years ago,
i believe the schematics are floating around if you picked one up....
Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM

Cool. I will check it out. I remember using the first Clubman mixer back in the days and it was very clean. I also remember using a GLI mixer that was solid but I always thought the Rane crossfade mixers had an extra punch. May be because it was a pre-amp mixer but there was something about those Ranes that kind of put them above others. I wish someone would do a spec/comparison to determine what mixer would sound the best with analog and digital programming.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to johnpuga1982
Rane ttm-56

Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM

Rane makes the best analog crossfaders for mixing. If you're just transistioning between two channels, the MP-2 is perfect for that. If you need more channels, what Kevin said.

If you want a Biamp and don't mind the stiff faders, defective balanced outs design, and fragility of the internal parts after all these years (don't open them up unless you know how to repair something that breaks), then get an SCM7500 (or maybe the earlier models). The SCM7600 has a crummy CF curve.

Not sure I would bother with vintage Numark, especially for the price some of them go for and the inability for any of the sellers to properly verify the condition of those units on fleabay.

The PPD9000 has the best crossfader Numark has ever put out. Perfect feeling. A digital "intelligent" curve system when on gradual is constant-power when two like-signals are present and the standard middle summation curve when only one signal is present. Brilliant, but a fully adjustable dip mixer or a Rane still "mixes" better by CF.

I hesitate recommending the PPD9000, though, because my unit just got sent back to Numark for the third time. Some weird mystery problem with internal connector to the input board disconnecting. They hot glued it last time, but it must have jimmied loose. The other possibility is that the input switches need some soldering. Still, for under $500 new with 2-3 year warranty the sound is stunning.

If price is not object, certainly check out the FF series from Formula Sound. With the spare rotary panel and a Pro X Fader, I doubt you'd even want to keep your other rotaries.

https://www.bpmsupreme.com/newyearne...?ref=5-mKSlxcx

Last edited by Reticuli : 03-12-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 AM

Cool. Thanks for the sound advice.