Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Line/Phono Switch Bleed Thru

I have a fairly expensive (approx $1800 retail) 12 inch format, 4 channel, dj mixer. One day, while using my turntables to run Traktor Skratch, I could hear the time code signal in the background. Thinking I was hearing it through the headphones, I immediately unplugged the headphones from the mixer. But, I still heard it. Suspecting bleed through, I actually shut down Traktor Skratch and played the timecode vinyl only (Line/Phono switch set to line of course). I could certainly hear the signal straight from the stylus when I placed my near the turntable. But I most clearly heard the timecode signal through the speakers. In addition, I could control the volume of the signal with the gain.

My question to the board is, how common is bleed thru on other mixers? Have you experienced any bleed through on other boards with line/phono switches on each line? How about on boards with source assignment switches such as the Rane and Urei rotaries?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:24 PM

Which mixer do you use?
Does removing the multicore cable (the rca cable from the Traktor package for those who don't know) relieve you of the issue?

I've only experienced 'Traktor'bleed with wrong use of the multicore cable so far..
Old 05-24-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltcontrol
Which mixer do you use?
Does removing the multicore cable (the rca cable from the Traktor package for those who don't know) relieve you of the issue?

I've only experienced 'Traktor'bleed with wrong use of the multicore cable so far..

I'm using a A&H Xone 92R

When the multicore cables are connected improperly, the timecode signal is loud. I'm referring to a very faint background sound that can be clearly heard when the music is off.

But, I did not try removing the multicore cables from the system all together. I did not consider, until you suggested it, that the cables can be the source of bleed through. I will check that as soon as I can.

I'm still curious as to what others have expereinced with other mixers.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:20 PM

I'm using a 92r and Traktor Scratch Pro with the Multicore cables and aside from ground noise from my laptop I don't get any noise with this setup. I use Multicores for 2 CDJs and one without a deck just for loops.

My SoundCloud
Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 PM

I dont understand why it would ever be designed to send time code signal to the mixer, so I'd recommend swapping cables. Due to the needed physical flexibility for normal usage, cable failures are far more common than gear.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der geile ami
I dont understand why it would ever be designed to send time code signal to the mixer, so I'd recommend swapping cables. Due to the needed physical flexibility for normal usage, cable failures are far more common than gear.

It's so you can switch between time code and regular records/CDs without having to pass them through the Audio 8.

I had one of the cables fail on me so maybe something failed inside that cable? On my cable the right side(?) on the CD player connection failed causign the software to only play in reverse when it did work.

My SoundCloud
Old 05-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Martin
It's so you can switch between time code and regular records/CDs without having to pass them through the Audio 8.

I had one of the cables fail on me so maybe something failed inside that cable? On my cable the right side(?) on the CD player connection failed causign the software to only play in reverse when it did work.

that sounds like your problem. For it to be the mixer (any mixer), there would would somehow be a mechanical switch on the input allowing both positions through, which is normally would be somewhat physically impossible unless conductive fluid (like a spilled drink, lol) got poured into it or something. Adjacent channels bleeding is another story. That occurs in any mixer design, how severe is up to the design. The technical term is cross talk
Old 06-21-2009, 11:07 PM

I wanted to follow up on this issue because I'd still like comments from the board.

I finally had a chance to do a couple of tests and here's what happened:

With my turntables plugged into the phono jacks of channels one and two, I first plug a cd player directly into the line jacks of channel one (no Traktor Core Cables attached), switched the phono/line switch to phono, and proceeded to play a cd (timecode signal to be exact). The result was, I could hear the cd, softly but clearly, through my speakers. I performed the same test on channel two with the same result.

I then plugged my cd player into the line jack of channel three. This time, the phono jacks where occupied by phono plug caps supplied with the mixer. These are basically gold plated male phono plugs with black plastic backing. (I don't have a photo of them to post). Again, I siwtched the line/phono switch to phono and proceeded to play the cd. This time, I heard nothing.

To validate my result, I replaced the phono plug caps, on channel three, with those from one of my turntables. Result: I could hear the cd. I then replaced the turntable cables, on channel one, with the caps from channel three. Result: no sound.

Finally, just to be sure, I added some pressure to the turntable cable plugs on channel three to make sure they were properly seated. Again, I could hear the cd in the background.

This leads me to believe either the plugs on the end of my turntable cables are not seating in the mixer jacks properly, or there's some shielding issue with the turntable cable plugs that I've never heard of before.

My turntables are silver, dual voltage versions Technic 1200 MK II's. I bought them new in '97. I've taken good care of them (though I've never had them serviced), thus I've never had a single problem with them. I do unplug/reconnect my turntables to my mixer maybe a dozen times a year for playing out, swapping mixers, and etc. But, they don't get moved very much.

The mixer is Xone 92R also purchased new, by me, in '05. It is also well cared for.

Has anyone encountered this or have any suggestions? Is it time for new cables even though these have given me no shorts or poor signals?

Thanks in advance!