Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 08:01 PM

recording audio with a hifi vcr?

i have an old vcr and i know you can record audio with it but when i go to play it back i get static and even trying to fool the thing into thinking there is a video feed by playing the video signal from another vcr does not work it out puts audio fine from other tapes but i cant get anything recorded audio wise any one know how to fix this or should i take my vcr to the curb?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:04 PM

Seriously you can get a new one for < $100, which would be most of the price of repair.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:05 PM

yeah ill prolly do that
Old 06-10-2007, 09:09 PM

I'm sure you thought of this but do you have the correct input selected when you're recording?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:29 AM

the vcr automatically detects where the signal is coming from i think its just fubar ill proly go out and get a new one from wally land

peas
Old 06-11-2007, 04:43 AM
Samplaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameismatt
I'm sure you thought of this but do you have the correct input selected when you're recording?

Either that or he doesn't have the line input selected. It sound s like he recording a blank tv channel . You should be able to monitor the signal if correctly selected.
________
Digital vaporizers

Last edited by nitred : 04-07-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
I use to record a lot on Beta and VHS , if you can,, just add any Video signal to the audio that youre recording. The noise is sometimes because the Video signal is not present or its not stable
Old 06-15-2007, 06:11 PM

i havet had time this week to mess wit it but ill try that soon also i dont have the remote that came with this one so il lookat getting one that has a remote so i can switch the input from coax to the vidoe inputs

peas
Old 06-15-2007, 10:58 PM

SP sound better
Old 06-16-2007, 07:19 PM

-The speed really doesn't affect sound quality, nor does the type of tape. Both of these effect the picture quality.

-Make sure you're doing this right before giving up-try taping on each of the two line channels, which are audio only channels that aren't used for getting TV audio/visual channels.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 PM

You're right I mean that Sp its better . EP i have troubles on certain VCR's appear like a static noise on low passages Dont know why .. panasonic does and also Mitsubishi
Old 06-16-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETRODISKO
You're right I mean that Sp its better . EP i have troubles on certain VCR's appear like a static noise on low passages Dont know why .. panasonic does and also Mitsubishi

The static noise could be tracking. It gets worse when you tape on one machine and play it in another one. Try adjusting the tracking manually as well as ejecting the tape and putting it back in which sometimes automatically resets the tracking.

Last edited by Criscodisco : 06-16-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:58 PM

i might be totally confused, but i thought this kind of thing was only worth doing on s-vhs decks, which your standard home VCR probably isn't.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminb
i might be totally confused, but i thought this kind of thing was only worth doing on s-vhs decks, which your standard home VCR probably isn't.

Nope, any stereo VCR.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criscodisco
Nope, any stereo VCR.

If the VCR doesn't say "Hi-Fi" on it, it may be recording just low-bandwidth audio tracks on the edge of the tape. "Hi-Fi" refers to modulating the audio on an FM carrier signal, and recording that multiplexed into the video signal (which I believe is why some Hi-Fi VCR's behave strangely when you try to record audio with no video, though most of the ones I've used have worked fine with no video input).

One big issue with recording onto a Hi-Fi VCR is levels: most recorders made in the last 10 years or so have no level indicators or controls. If you overmodulate the signal (literally: you're basically recording FM radio onto the tape), you can get nasty dropouts on the recording. Some trial and error might be useful to help prevent that.

The sound quality of Hi-Fi VHS recordings does not change with tape speed. However, using cheaper tapes at the slow extended play speeds might get you more dropouts.

During any dropouts you might hear the VCR switch itself to the linear edge tracks...allowing you to hear how terrible VCR's used to sound before "Hi-Fi" recording was introduced (early 80's, I believe it was, though it was very expensive for a long time).

This is still a good inexpensive way to make decent quality recordings.

http://www.markandrus.com
Old 06-18-2007, 08:10 AM

i changed the input on it and it works fine and it sounds way better than audacity lol
Old 06-18-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark
If the VCR doesn't say "Hi-Fi" on it, it may be recording just
One big issue with recording onto a Hi-Fi VCR is levels: most recorders made in the last 10 years or so have no level indicators or controls. If you overmodulate the signal (literally: you're basically recording FM radio onto the tape), you can get nasty dropouts on the recording. Some trial and error might be useful to help prevent that.

The sound quality of Hi-Fi VHS recordings does not change with tape speed. However, using cheaper tapes at the slow extended play speeds might get you more dropouts.

Level isn't an issue; input has always been automatically set dating back to the 1980s AND it's rca to rca, so input volumes not a concern at all.

Dropouts on cheaper tapes no; manufacturing consistency on good brands has been high as long as i can remember, dating back many decades. With lesser tape grades you get a reduction in general quality but not in consistency, assuming the use of major good name brands.

Last edited by Criscodisco : 06-18-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 PM

Uhh, not that I really feel inclined to devote much time to disputing the details of a more-or-less obsolete format, but I DJ'ed on hi-fi VHS decks in the mid-80's...and the decks had both level-controls and metering. One of my friends had a home-type deck around that same time with similar features.

More recently, I've used VHS hi-fi for recording DJ sets, and have definitely experienced the "overmodulation" effects I wrote of earlier. Fairly easy to induce when using a mixer with "hot" tape outputs like on the Urei.

There is no level standard explicitly associated with the use of RCA connectors by the way. Not sure I understand the meaning of "it's rca to rca, so input volumes not a concern at all". I've seen RCA connectors used for everything from tape heads to speaker outputs.

http://www.markandrus.com