Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Allen & Heath Xone S2 vs. Rane MP2016A

Hi guys, been a longtime reader and now first time poster.

Can anyone give me their quick personal opinion on the Xone S2 vs. the MP2016A? I want a rack mount rotary mixer that has split cue headphone monitoring and can't find a direct comparison anywhere.

Keep in mind that this is for a portable rig, so the outputs will be running into a Mackie active PA (i.e. not an RLA setup that would easily distinguish the best from the rest ) I've never used an Allen & Heath filter before, so I don't know if that would also satisfy my desire for a GSA Isolator and save my $900 in the process.

As a bit of background, I'm trying to create the ultimate "party box" setup that I can easily use for house parties around town without breaking my back. The short story is that I am trying to create a rig that gets the most bang for my buck AND can fit inside my Volkswagen Jetta! Wish me luck!

(I'll explain in more detail with pics later).

Thanks,
Ben
Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 PM

Personal opinion. The MP2016 + the XP2016 expander would be perfect for you, in my opinion.
It’s a better build and I think it sounds better than the A&H gear (V6 excepted)………
My opinion, I’m sure people will disagree…… Let’s start the “Discussion”………
Old 05-04-2009, 11:39 PM

Anyone actually done an S2 verses 2016A comparison in person? Rumor has it, the S2 is a leap in sound qaulity over the other sub-V6 Xones. I'll tell you, the 62/92 don't thrill me. They're o.k., but the thrill is gone.

https://www.bpmsupreme.com/newyearne...?ref=5-mKSlxcx
Old 05-05-2009, 01:15 AM

Kieren, it seems like everyone on the forums agrees that the Rane is a great unit, notwithstanding the warmer sounds from Bozak and Urei models (in that order). I've used it a little but never in a controlled environment, so I can't claim to know exactly how good it is relative to other mixers.

I guess my issue is trying to figure out if the Rane has a huge edge on the A&H Xone S2, which packs a bunch more features in a smaller package. Otherwise I might give the Xone a shot.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:11 AM

I have a lot of mixers as a lot of people on this forum do, my BOZAK is my home mixer and my UREI is it's back-up but when it comes to my mobile set-up my 2016 never fails, It might not sound like the BOZAK but it is perfect for what i'm using it for (these days about 1 party a year..LOL).

I have only used a demo S2 and i wasn't impressed but i wasn't alowed to pull it apart and the sound system was a peice of crap NEXO so i can't coment on the sound to much but it did sound nicer to my ears than the 92 they had there!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 PM

i have a rane mp2016+xp eq (MK1 with alps black beauty, bought in the year 2000) and i had the chance to put my hands (and ears) on the xone S2, with rotary option, connected to my home system.

in MY opinion the rane mp2016 has better sound quality than xone S2. period.

the bass response is not bad, but the overall S2 sound is compromised from its non-musical mid-highs:
they are sterile, fake and irritating at low and high levels.
even the 3 band channel "eq" or "isolator" cut (as the manual says) is simply ridiculous and umpredictable.
the rane's 3 band is another league.

the S2 alps pots are not comparable with the curve of other "real" audio alps such black beauties or blue velvets:
they give poor feeling during the mix.
even the ancient A&B mono pots of my bozak cma-6-2s line mixer are more friendly.
probably getting an S2 with linear faders, is the best choice, but i never tried.

anyway, the global building quality is very good (chinese), but the sounds is not what you expect from a dj mixer with that price tag.

i suspect that A&H lost many home users.
probably when connected to a large "arena" sound system, with lot of processing, A&H (92 or S2) are fine and reliable units, but when you listen these products through a simple audio path the things are different.
this is where rane in my opinion wins: good sounding products for "home" and large scale systems.

Last edited by michele : 05-05-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalpudding
Hi guys, been a longtime reader and now first time poster.

Can anyone give me their quick personal opinion on the Xone S2 vs. the MP2016A? I want a rack mount rotary mixer that has split cue headphone monitoring and can't find a direct comparison anywhere.

Keep in mind that this is for a portable rig, so the outputs will be running into a Mackie active PA (i.e. not an RLA setup that would easily distinguish the best from the rest ) I've never used an Allen & Heath filter before, so I don't know if that would also satisfy my desire for a GSA Isolator and save my $900 in the process.

As a bit of background, I'm trying to create the ultimate "party box" setup that I can easily use for house parties around town without breaking my back. The short story is that I am trying to create a rig that gets the most bang for my buck AND can fit inside my Volkswagen Jetta! Wish me luck!

(I'll explain in more detail with pics later).

Thanks,
Ben

Wassup Ben!..... you sure you want a console mount mixer with bottom connectors for a small protable setup? Have you located a sufficient case to hold these mixers? Even if you find a case that will hold it, how accessible with the connectors be? Suppose you need to wire in a DVS? Maybe you've got that worked out, or maybe those aren't issues for you, but I've yet to see a portable solution for a console mixer that is convenient.

Also, before you lock in, try to rent and audition as many mixers as you can with your system. Keep practicality high on your list. Don't give in to internet lore regarding the proverbial "sound quality". Remember, it is a component of an overall system and you have to mix and match components to get the sound from your system that you want.

I own a 92R and I wouldn't claim it to be anything outstanding. But, the 12inch format with rear connectors works well for me. And the flight case holding it, plus to CDJ's, fits in the back of my Subaru Outback Wagon.