Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2003, 09:18 AM

Answers to McCauley and BASSMAXX questions:

Being a big fan/user of McCauley and the area distributor/dealer of BASSMAXX, I’ll try to address questions originally posted in this thread. Sorry I haven’t done so sooner, I’ve been mad busy (just presented a proposal for a HUGE install) and I take time to write out my postings for accuracy and to address topics raised.

The McCauley X-TEN.SYS bass cabinet is the same as the AC588 dual 18 sub bass with the extended low drivers. Run them at 4,000 watts program per box and get excellent output to 25Hz. I’ve used them, I use them now and I’ll use them again. A fine box from Tom.

Although there's no "official" dealer for McCauley in England, there are many ways to secure an order and have it shipped. There are some dealers in Europe.

The BASSMAXX subs currently use a custom McCauley driver similar to the McCauley 58/588/688 box. It’s a special horn loaded cabinet with an unloaded driver, meaning the rear of the woofer is exposed to open air. It has response to about 20Hz with sensitivity of 107 db per cabinet. Excellent punch and airflow from the mouth. This is a computer designed box and there’s never been anything else like it produced. Yes, there have been other open back horn loaded speakers but there’s something going on inside the box that’s never been done before. This design works, I run several in my rental pool as well as four of the newer B-ZERO’s in Webster Hall, NYC. While every speaker (as well as any component of the audio chain) has it’s own “sound”, these cabinets have been described as producing the closest replication of sound when compared to other products.

Realizing that there are many fans here of the RLA Bertha horns and such, the BASSMAXX “sound” may not be for everyone. In the shop of Rhino Acoustics (the BASSMAXX company) is a pair of original RLA Berthas, which horn version it is we’re looking into and with the help of my colleague, Scott, I’ll post the findings. Having said this, these cabinets have been A/B’ed with BASSMAXX cabinets and all ears have chosen BASSMAXX. Again, they may not be for everybody, every application has it’s specific needs.

This past Saturday night, a group of fellas were impressed enough at Webster Hall to want eight cabinets. I think that makes 20 or so that’ll be hitting the area in the next few weeks.

As I write this, new drivers, specifically designed and built by Rhino Acoustics for exclusive use in all BASSMAXX cabinets, are being tested. Neodymium magnetic structures, long excursion cones, advanced cooling, field replaceable baskets and high efficiency will result in a better performing, better sounding and more reliable package. Currently, my McCauley loaded cabinets have been happily handling 2,200 watts program each for about a year without any failures, the new units will do better. Some guy out midwest has been feeding his 3,000 each.

On January 22nd, there’s a “subwoofer shootout” being hosted in Michigan by a group of pro audio folks. It’s done about once a year somewhere in the US. This time around, EV MTL-2, LAB hornsub, BASSMAXX B-TWO and B-ZERO, Keele W bass horn, Community VLF218, and Nexo S-2 cabinets will be auditioned and maybe some more. I’m bringing 4 B-ZERO’s and a Crest 10001 amp. Looks good that we’ll have the new woofers in time. If any of you guys have the means to drive some cabinets there, I’m sure you’ll be more than welcome. I am curious to see & hear the LAB sub, the BASSMAXX specs as better and I’m questioning the wisdom of using a driver with a 2.5 inch voice coil. And they look like a tough build. Ears will tell the story.

Best regards to all,

Paul Bell
Old 01-13-2003, 09:23 AM

Here's the address:

Here's the address for the LAB hornsub:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/community/forum.php?board=3

Enjoy!

Paul Bell
Old 01-16-2003, 11:19 PM

Scott, I've got the pics...

Yo Scott,

Fwd me your e-mail address, those pics of the RLA Berthas are in. Got Adobe Photoshop? It's kinda dark over there at Rhino Acoustics. I vaguely remember seeing cabs like these here in NY like 2 decades ago. White "RLA International" tags on the back. I think they're for sale again.

paul@pbellsound.com

Best regards,

Paul
Old 01-31-2003, 02:40 PM

pa bass scoop

Hi!
I'm looking for a plan how to built an 15" bass scoop.
Does anybody can help me. The plans for the JBL 4530
would be the best You can give to me.
Thanks a lot

P.S. If it is possible, please send the plans to my e-mail
ch.ziegl@gmx.de
Old 01-31-2003, 02:45 PM

JBL Plans

These are available on www.audioheritage.org.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:50 PM

Paul

scottyj8@hotmail.com. show me a picture of the throat where the driver attaches to the baffle! I will tell you if its the REAL mcoy. BTW,Cabinets made at RLA didnt have the white plate fitted into the cutout that says RLA! most likely those are cabs built later in the 80,s for Richard by EAW! EAW used the plate mounted in cutout with the RLA insignia on it!

Just a bit of info!
Old 01-31-2003, 05:50 PM

Hey Scott

Hey Scott:

Those photo's are on the way. Hope you've got photoshop or something, they're kinda dark. There's the horn loaded dual 12 box there also. Two full RLA spec stax, the dual 15 boxes rotted away, they're gone.

Hey All:

I've been getting some requests (email) to post the results of the subwoofer shootout in Flint last week. When we have more data available and some pics and I have some real time to write it all out I'll post here. Suffice to say, the LAB subhorn DIY box was very good as was the BASSMAXX. Both boxes came in under 1% distortion. Compare that to a standard concert level dual 18 box that tested at 8%.

Best regards,
Paul Bell

PS: The dual 18 scoops are spoken for, thanks to all that replied.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:22 PM

The dual 12in horn loaded box

does it have 2 phase plugs? And does it have the white panel in the cutout saying Richard Long and Associates, DD Horn?

If it does, that box WAS built for him by EAW! Its a good cabinet, but it is from around 1983-84 when Richard started having EAW build his boxes. Prior to that he built everything in NYC and LIC! Curtis was his cabinet maker and worked in-house. That man could build a bertha!
Old 02-01-2003, 08:02 AM

JBL4530

Hi Scott!
Thank you for the side audiogeritage.org
I've found many pictures of the 4530 but no plan.
There were only other jbl-plans
If you have the plans please e-mail to me
ch.ziegl@gmx.de
thanks
Old 02-01-2003, 11:26 AM

Plans

I happen to have the plans for the JBL double 15in scoop. Its in a book I have and I will get them to you, but its gonna take me a week or so to copy em!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:18 AM

scoop bins

Hey scoth :
I have 48 double scoops bins and all built to specs and still use em currently and cover a eaw system. Many people have there own opinion but scoops is one way to go if build to specs i use eminence sigma series and guess what with 100db effiency the speaker reacts with less power. People didn't believe i covered a guy with eaws. I use crest 9001 for my subs and dbx drive rack. It was an event in orlando caribbean carnival. I am from the carnival country Trinidad & Tobago where sound systems taken to a next level.

so build them to specs and u will see the difference

good luck B.I.C Sounds of Orlando Florida