Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2003, 11:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
Eldorado Bump Car Sound

Everyone, I had a chance to get out to visit Scott Fitlin Friday night on April 25th and you better watch out for Bump Car Sound. This is my opinion and my opinion only. I have not heard any system with the sub bass the way I heard it at Bump Car on Friday. The J-Horns at Bump Car have deep deep sound that is just like what you would have heard at the Garage and Zanzibar and guess what the Richard Long vintage crossover was superb, I played with it for about 5 minutes and the gain was so hot and warm I cannot put in to words. Those J horns are massive in size and can produce such lows you will feel it in your chest. They produced the lows like you are in plane getting ready for take off. Scott told me he still has a little work to do so you people better come and learn because the best sound system in this area will be in Coney Island and not in a dance club, what a shame. You go Scott, you know what we were talking about. I had my brother with and his thoughts were the same as mine. I am not going into all other details, the truth is that some know some just don't know.

Later
ED
Old 04-27-2003, 06:35 PM

J horn bin when loaded with the suitable drivers are nice.
J horn bin look a cross between the Cerwin Vega C horn bins,
and 18 inch scoop bass bins.
They sound like scoop bass bins and C horn bins in one.
loudspeaker drivers I like for horn bass bins are:
RCF Precision,Precision Devices,Beyma,ElectroVoice,Mc Cauley,Fane,TAD.
Eminence,Celestion,JBL and Peavey[Black Widow series] are better for bass reflex.

Old 04-28-2003, 12:43 AM

as a matter of fact!

These J-horns are tuned for EMINENCE! And the Eminence sigma pro 18 is very well suited as a horn driver and thats what I have in them! JBL,s do NOT work well in this type of folded horn! Fact. Richard tuned his folded horns for the Eminence drivers and they work best in this box!

I also tried the EV-180B and the celestions and I went back to the eminence!
Old 04-28-2003, 06:15 PM

Tom

I think you need to see these boxes. They kinda dont look anything like a Vega box! They are HUGE! I do mean HUGE!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:22 AM

Tom question

Where have you seen the j horn at because this box usually isnt what people think it is, Richard installed these boxes mostly in roller discos and where not installed into many niteclubs, and they deff where not mass produced BY ANY MANUFACTURER. I`m jus curious where you have seen these at because most people claim they know this box and when they see it there like holy sh-t.
This Box is 7-8ft wide by 7ft tall and 22 in deep and you need multiples to make these really work properly you need at least a minimum of 2 boxes per location they don`t work in single units, so thats at least 16 feet of wall space again im just curious where you`ve seen or heard these boxes im jus curios no disrespect
Old 04-29-2003, 04:57 AM

j horn

i know sonic sells the vega l36 cabnet as a j horn.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:15 PM

noooooooooooo

The cerwin-Vega L36 IS NOT THE RICHARD LONG J-Horn! Nothing like it! The L-36 is a MINIATURE cabinet compared to these!

The J-horn is RLA,s model D standing on top of a scoop extension! its a BIG folded horn firing down toward the floor into the scoop extension!

The box was made for skating rinks that wanted Levan horn bottom and used the wall space rather then the floor space!

Two boxes together spans 16ft across at 7 ft tall!

The horn box weighs in at 400lbs. And the J extension weighs another 125lbs.

So, my 4 cabinets comprise 2000lbs of box for four 18,s! Im sure every mobile jock is missing these in their lives! LOL
Old 04-29-2003, 05:28 PM

I think i know what they look like

B52 makes a weird j bin[like two j bins side by side using two 18 inch drivers].
And so does Turbosound floodlight series[but they use 2x 21 inch,maybe thats a different horn bin altogether].
And SONIC has a bigger version than the Cerwin Vega SL 36 ,the T18E.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
Not Even Close

Let me say this, there is nothing out there today that comes close to a J Horn, nothing, nothing, nothing. Scott has the originals and so forth. Let's stop it, L36 does not even compare. Go to Bump Car and see for yourself. In fact I don't believe there is anyone out there today who can design a cabinet to hit such low frequency's as the J Horn. I heard it myself and unless you can make the Bertha, Coney Island Bump has the best, hands down.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:52 PM

Hey Ed

I can make the bertha/levan no problem and the original one to, lol
Old 04-29-2003, 11:20 PM

The most similar box

as far as looks go, the most comparable thing wouldve been the old EAW BH-880,s! Standing up! And even those are small compared to these J-horns!

I would NEVER use these except where they would NEVER have to be moved! EVER! And since in my room its park and play where they stay...............
Old 04-30-2003, 08:29 AM

Any Pcitures

Dose any one have a picture of one of these J-Horns?
Old 04-30-2003, 11:46 AM

Sometime this month

I will get pics of my system online!
Old 04-30-2003, 01:51 PM
goldmember

Send a message via AIM to djrobertchristofer
Yea!

I for one would love to see those pics Scott!!
Old 05-06-2003, 05:56 PM

GO !

Everyone go visit bump to hear one of the best sound systems a round today. Trust me on this one. When Scott is done it will be all over.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:06 PM

Hmmmmm

Looks like I'll have to book a trip to New York in the near future!!

I like the idea of auditioning a sound system with gear older than me and subs way bigger than me!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:00 PM

I have this theory of things!

" If it dont weigh enough, It cant play enough "

Ive always found the BIG box sound to be able to play recorded music that sounds real!

Big speakers and equal coverage of the room makes sound that envelopes you!
Old 05-08-2003, 04:28 PM

That makes sence

But like you said, you don't move them around!!!

I like your big speaker philosophy. You know, my only "expertise" when it comes to sound reproduction comes from 5 years selling hifi in a well recognised shop here in Montreal. Somehow I've always felt the bigger speakers sounded ... "larger". For example if I was auditioning 2 different 12 inch subs, I almost always liked the one with the bigger enclosure. Same for full range speakers.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:44 PM

Size matters

Its just like car engines! You want to move alot of air you need cubic volume! A 289ci engine cannot move as much air as a 427ci engine!

Speakers are just like engines! The more air you can move, the more sound or power you can make!

The BIGGER speaker cabinets of the past like the BIGGER engines of the 60,s and 70,s can move more air without straining! The smaller designs of now can take MORE input, but can only move but so much air!

When you go to a concert, they do use vented and ported direct radiating subs! But they use MANY of them clustered together to get the desired output and low end! And a tremendous amount of amplifier power as well.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:37 PM

WOW!

First off, Thank you for your positive reveiw. Yes Eldorado is MUCH more than just a ride! Its my life and its my heritage and legacy!

If you liked this, wait until IM done with my upgrages! All TAD full range!

Scoops! Good cabinet with a good PUNCHY response. Down through the years their have been several variation of these! My corner scoops are actually COPIES of JBL,s but they were upsized for 18,s! JBL only made them for 15,s! Depending on the cabinet design and how good they are, they can be succesfully used up to 750hz. As well as the box design sound quality is also driver dependent! This type of box LIKES a really high quality excellent sounding woofer! Because its a direct radiator as well, you will hear your woofer and what it is doing or not doing well!

My mix of cabinets. All the same type of drivers, however, back in the 70,s when this system was first growing big, my Dad and my uncle bought boxes that would fit the locations they were going into! I have 2 altec 815,s, and 4 altec 816,s as well as 2 altec 817A,s! Different sizes, but same straight front horn loading! And I dont even have the BIG Altec boxes! I happen to love these type of cabinets, very projective! Im putting TAD 15,s in them this year.

The 4 arrays of tweeters are all the same, JBL 2402H " bullet" tweeters! 16 tweeters in arrays of 4 equally spaced.

Midrange is handled by 6 JBL 2395 Lens horns, another antique! I will be replacing the six JBL 2441 compression drivers this year with TAD 4002,s! The tweeter on each stack is a JBL 2404 Bi-radial tweeter. It comes in where I roll off the top end response of the horn! Very important!

Six stacks of speakers ALL around the room so you have stero everywhere and all the stacks equal in power and drivers so the room sounds the same everywhere!

Then there are the J horns for added sub bass oomph! Those big WALLS on the side are speakers!

Thank you for your reveiw and anytime you come down just ask for me, ill be happy to show you through the system.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:01 PM

Bump car Sound

Where is the Location of Bump Car Sound?
When I go NY next time
I really wanna visit the place.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:21 AM

Re: Bump car Sound

Quote:
Originally posted by taisei
Where is the Location of Bump Car Sound?
When I go NY next time
I really wanna visit the place.
We are located at 1216 surf av Brooklyn NY 11224 Big sign across the front says " ELDORADO AUTO SKOOTER "

I am about ready to start closing for winter, so If you come after I close, email me.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:03 AM

thanks

Sure
thanks!!!
Old 09-06-2003, 02:10 AM

Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by taisei
Sure
thanks!!!
I will be upgrading my system in the next few weeks/months! TAD woofers and drivers, bryston amps,BGW amps, McIntosh amp! I should be completely upgraded by November, and should you happen to be in NYC this winter, I will give you a premier listening!

This system and room is my pride and joy!
Old 09-06-2003, 06:47 AM

Re: Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by clubman5
I will be upgrading my system in the next few weeks/months! TAD woofers and drivers, bryston amps,BGW amps, McIntosh amp! I should be completely upgraded by November, and should you happen to be in NYC this winter, I will give you a premier listening!

This system and room is my pride and joy!

Fine!
Winter will be cheaper flight anyway
i look foward to

peace