Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 03:48 AM

BBE sonic maximizer ... a big fiasco?

recently i buy a bbe 862 ... after some pot issues that i fix with some alcohol it was time to fit it in my dj booth. The nice thing with it is that use xlr inputs and outputs and thats the reason why i choose it between other bbe models with unbalanced signal . i place it after my Rane 2016 signal (RANE > BBE > EQ > XOVER > AMPS )
before i bought the bbe i got all the cables ready for the unit but looped ( xlrs input and output looped) so for one week i use to listen the natural almost sound from rane. when i place the bbe i hear it in bypass mode... the sound was almost horrible ! the bass was fused with mids , the highs where not highs any more! When i press the funktion button all the sound comes alive! maybe more bright than the real signal ( not the bypassed ) .... so i really wonder... does the bypass button keep the secret of the BBE sonic maximizer? ... This unit makes the job or is just an acoustic illusion from clever sound engineers ?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 AM

The bypass button does not offer a flat response (Originial signal). The BBE is helpful on loudspeakers that lack treble. The BBE can make things sound too processed if the settings are configured at or near to maximum. I recall having the settings configured to 12 o’clock when I used it 17 years ago. I never liked the sound of the sonic maxi miser on the whole system however, for tweeters it was fine.

Best Regards,
Old 12-24-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Thompson
The bypass button does not offer a flat response (Originial signal). The BBE is helpful on loudspeakers that lack treble. The BBE can make things sound too processed if the settings are configured at or near to maximum. I recall having the settings configured to 12 o’clock when I used it 17 years ago. I never liked the sound of the sonic maxi miser on the whole system however, for tweeters it was fine.

Best Regards,

Usually the bypass button in sound units is used to total bypass the signal from the whole circuit of the unit and almost doesn't effect this to the original sound ... i dont know why bbe rubbish the original signal in bypass mode
Old 12-24-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Dreams
Usually the bypass button in sound units is used to total bypass the signal from the whole circuit of the unit and almost doesn't effect this to the original sound ... i dont know why bbe rubbish the original signal in bypass mode

I would imagine BBE's sonic maximiser is the only processor that does not follow that topology.

Best Regards,
Old 12-24-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I would imagine BBE's sonic maximiser is the only processor that does not follow that topology.

Best Regards,

...and thats the strange thing
Old 12-24-2012, 07:49 AM

All audio electronic devices offer a fixed HPF & LPF embedded in the circuitry, which the end user has no control over. There is no standard where the settings should be so the manufacture can configure it where they feel is best.

Unless the device offers a hard bypass (which means you can literally plug the unit out of the AC receptacle and you will still hear sound) switch, the fixed HPF & LPF are contributing to the sound once the unit is within the audio chain in bypass mode.

This is why having multiple units between the CD Player/Turntable (Mixer, Equaliser & so forth) and the amplifier will sound different in bypassed (flat position) mode than, connecting the CD Player/Turntable directly to the amplifier.

Best Regards,
Old 12-24-2012, 02:40 PM

True by-pass is more a recent hip thing especially on new guitar stomp boxes, it's not surprising at all that the BBE doesn't have a true by-pass and rather opting for some buffered option.

The Alesis 3630 compressor for example still sucks the life out of stuff even if by-passed, nothing new there.. Some high end studio gear may have true by-pass but especially stuff like the BBE, cheapy Harman/DBX stuff and so on don't think any one expects it.

BBE isn't exactly high fidelity imo Used one in some ones studio some years ago on drum tracks, was quite fun

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 12-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
True by-pass is more a recent hip thing especially on new guitar stomp boxes, it's not surprising at all that the BBE doesn't have a true by-pass and rather opting for some buffered option.

True Bypass has been around over 40 years if not longer. However the ratio of a manufacture offering such a feature is miniscule.

Best Regards,
Old 12-26-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
True Bypass has been around over 40 years if not longer. However the ratio of a manufacture offering such a feature is miniscule.

Best Regards,

Yea sorry that is what I meant to say, just came out wrong.

Although there seems to be more manufacturers offering this option recently especially in the guitar stomp box market, it seems the in-fashion feature to have on a lot of new pedals.

The new TC Electronics pedals even have a switch where you can flick between true by-pass and buffered which is nice.