Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 06:34 AM

Bass driver question

So far i'm using 18" Fane collossus drivers in all my scoops, and running them at 750w each. However, i can now get precision devices 18" 1850 drivers pretty cheap and want to make more sccops. Is it ok to use different driver manufaturers togeather? How much power can these drivers handle? I wanted to driver them 1.2K each from a qsc. Will they blow!?

cheers
Old 05-07-2003, 09:36 AM

Bass drivers

you can use boxes with different drivers and it will work! However, you run the risk of having boxes that sound slightly different from each other.

It cuts both ways here. You may have one driver that has a nice roll on the bottom and the other a nice punch, and you make the sounds combine, and you have something good. But, getting them to integrate and sound like one system is the trick! On the other hand, you may NOT like having boxes that dont sound identical to each other.

As for powering the drivers, if they are rated for 1200w then they should be ok. Unless you severely overdrive the amp you should be fine! And at this power level the box/driver combination has to be correct. This means that the scoop your using should be tuned for the exact driver your using! Because, if, lets say, your box is tuned for a lower frequency than your woofer you will unload the driver and it will be very easy to bottom out the woofer even at low levels. If your box/driver combination isnt correct then it will be easy to blow the drivers! Since most scoops have a resonant frequency in the 40-50hz range, you should be ok! You can use a woofer that goes down to 25hz in a box thats tuned for 35-40hz, but you cant use a woofer that only goes down to 40hz in a box thats tuned to go down to 25hz! The tuning of the box cannot be lower than the free air resonance of the driver!
Old 05-08-2003, 02:16 PM

Driving a 600w rms driver with 1200w rms is fine as long as it's not clipped[either the poweramp or the mixer].
The extra 600w rms gives the amp more headroom,allowing it for tweaking,and sounding clean.
What mostly blows drivers,is clipped unpowered amps say:

a 150w rms amp driving a 600w rms speaker,and you will be pushing the amp hard,the result clipping,big distortion and maybe a fried speaker voice coil.

Also, some moron who doesn't know how to adjust the graphic equaliser properly,and just boost all the frequencies at high volume levels,would also fry the speaker,no matter what setup[unless the speaker had a protection circuit or fuse inline]

BUT: the crappy make of speakers[like the very cheap car speakers],can't handle twice the rms,even if it's not clipped.

But Lets say the Eminence Kilomax rated 1250w rms,with it's large 4 inch voice coil,kapton former,large vented pole piece,other vents around the magnet,high temperature polyamide-imide coated copper voice coil,and special heatsink.
I think this driver could handle 5000w rms[5kw],if the amp used was totally unclipped and fed by a clean[unclipped input signal].
1250w rms,2500w progamme,5000w peak,10000 w transient response[this last one is only short torm,otherwise the voice coil definatly would fry].

But wattage is only really thermal,you could still damage the mechanical parts by over excersion[x mech peak to peak exceeded].
x max[voice coil overhang] This only means the coil stays in the magnetic gap.
x mech.This means one way maximum excersion,twice the x mech is the maximum the cone/surround/spider can travel both ways before tearing.

Both the Eminence Sigma pro and Eminence Omega pro are very good drivers for scoop bass bins,whereas the Eminence Kilomax is really only suitable for bass reflex,although i've seen them once in a scoop at Notting Hill Carnival[sounded weird].
Old 05-09-2003, 07:16 AM

Progam power?

I'm building four scoops with omega pro cones in at the mo.

I do a lot of free parties and am often in environments where the DJ is turning the mixer up to it's extreme (Certain People in particular (Although they are starting to get better (As I keep shouting at them and checking them off the decks))).
We have always used amps a couple of hundred Watts smaller than the speakers to compensate.

Could I give my new scoops more power?
I have compressors and limiters, are they enough to stop some tit on the decks blowing up my speakers?

Old 05-09-2003, 09:34 AM

Don't do that

"We have always used amps a couple of hundred Watts smaller than the speakers to compensate."

You'll be pushing the amp way too hard w/ distorted signal and you'll actually fry them easier...

My .02 cents
Old 05-09-2003, 05:05 PM

TOM

what your saying is in fact true, but you can blow a 600w driver with 600w too! Just because you have the headroom DOESNT mean you wont blow the driver. As you said yourself, wattage is really an indication of the voice coils thermal limits! Push a 600w amp into a 600w driver with large low frequency signal and you can still heat the coil into thermal failure!

In my opinion, headroom should be around 100w over the driver rating, not double the rated power! The reason I say this is because when your playing your gonna want to push the bass, and 1200 w clean into a 600w coil will still do damage!

That said, clipping is a notorious culprit of speaker failure, and care should be taken to avoid hard clipping! besides, hard clip doesent sound too nice!