Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2003, 10:44 AM

Are Behringer products really that bad?

I was just about to buy a pair of Behringer "super x cx34000" active x-overs, Then i happened to read all the bad stuff people have said about Behringer products on this site, Now I'm begining to think twice. Does anyone have an opinion on these x-overs or can recommend any suitable alternatives. I am on a tight budget and was attracted to these because of their features at a low price (around £140 each) I am not keen on buying secondhand as i've had trouble with secondhand gear in the past. I need 3 bands per side with possible sub output as well, I was also keen on the "cx3400's" limiters as I've had my gear wrecked in the past by interfearing dj's/mc's.
Also whats the deal with Behringer's "ultra bass pro" I know what it does but is it really that good, The people selling it would have you think you can't live without one.
Any help on these subjects would be much appreciated.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:15 PM

behringer

Where are you Adam? Do you want a spare used one? Going very cheap,make a silly offer and you haven't lost out if you don't like it. Clean sounding,no problems for me,not as good sounding as gear costing ten times as much!
Old 07-12-2003, 12:53 PM

cx3400

These are used by big companys sometimes to make a load of noise for rave type events. Connected to multiples of crown MA, so they do the job. The limter function is not good enough to protect your speakers from determined abuse. I know from this experience. BSS FDS are best pro type. circa 500 each plus eq cards for CD horn eq boost circa 120 plus VAT. Guess what, you get what you pay for! Rane,DBX etc are all workable units or you could get a secondhand pair of BSS, going rate 250 each, sorry

I have just been e-mailed a three way BSS for sale,probably the model before the 360, interested?
Old 07-12-2003, 12:57 PM

crossover

Bss MCS 200

Heard of this?
Old 07-12-2003, 03:59 PM

Behringer products #2

Thanks for the reply Dave, I'm in North London UK I'm assuming from the time of your reply your in the USA so your offers not much good to me unfortunatly thanks all the same. Good to hear you had no problems with your cx3400 maybe i'll still use them unless anyone else can suggest otherwise?
Old 07-12-2003, 04:19 PM

sorry your probably not americian

Dave, looking at your reply again I've realised I'm probably wrong with the USA assumption, This whole time difference thing really confuses me. I would be interested in your offer on the cx3400 or possibly the BSS could you email me some details at apthornton@mail.com I would like to know more on the BSS. Thanks
Old 07-12-2003, 04:28 PM

I am in UK

This is where we talk about verry high quality sound reproduction which often comes out of New York or suchlike. I'll send you an e-mail.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:57 AM

CX3400

You said you where on a tight budget.

I use the CX3400 in my rig and it dose the job, one day I would like to get a better sounding cross over, but for the time being the CX3400 is reliable and dose what its supposed to (although the limiter doesn’t seem to do anything).

If you are on a tight budget then there is no point in spending £500+ on a cross over unless you are going to spend similar amounts on every other processor, amp, speaker, cable and so on. That gets really expensive believe me.

When it comes down to it my Cx3400 has never stopped working half way through a gig and although I know sound quality could be better, you have to draw the line somewhere.

Saying that I would be quite picky about an EQ, if you are planning on getting one, as cheap ones can case a lot of distortion.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:56 PM

Affordable crossover

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2542489590&category=32 78

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2545637030&category=23 793

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2545832693&category=23 792

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2545689371&category=23 790

Hi Adam. I know this is the dreaded evil-bay (use escrow if you're worried), but these are Rane units ranging from $160-$250USD on buy-it-now.

I gotta be honest, the Rane is in a different league to the Behringer, several above IMHO. Rane win tech shoot-outs against serious studio brands such as Focusrite etc... I'm not saying they're as good, specs ain't everything, but a Rane will anhilate the Behringer.

By the time you've factored-in postage / tax, you're gonna pay a little more, but you'll appreciate it in sound quality and durability/ruggedness. The op-amps Rane use are probably at least 10X as expensive as the Behringer, as would be the pots/switches.

Best Regards.

Bozak CMA 10-2-DL Full Rebuild

How Mixer Level Controls Work

Important Differences Between Types of Bozak
Old 07-15-2003, 09:58 PM

xover

you can get a dsx 3 way (rla style) for $250 new. and it sounds damm good.