Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 05:11 PM

When I used the 909 at Guitar Center it sounded exactly like recent dance releases. A lot of the XL-7's stuff has an oddly early pop industrial sort of flavor from 1990. The rest is cheezy candy-raver sounds. It takes a lot of filting, LFO, etc and X-Mixing to create good stuff on it. I also am having severe difficulty integrating it into my mixes due to the notched wheel and whole BPM's. It can't even resync itself to the downbeat. I don't want any MIDI with it anymore. I don't trust it. I'll do it manually. I have no doubt it's easier to sequence with and do X-mix stuff, but it's certainly harder to DJ with than the 909. My question now is, how do the filters/effects for line pass through sound compare to the EFX500? Are the 909's effects running at 24bit like the XL-7? If the XL-7 had fractional BPM's, sampling, and effecting of passthrough I'd simply stick with it. But I'm thinking of going for the used Xone 62 and used 909 route. For the price I could go the DJM-800 route, but I know how vinyl can sound even transferred to 24/96 and processed at 32bit. My HK AVR7200 runs at that for inputs that are not through the 8ch analog directs. I can hear a descreteness in the transients and a reduction in the staging. If I transfer all my vinyl to digital that's one thing. But if I'm staying analog source on at least half the material I use, I want an analog mixer. So how do the 909's effects sound? Is the fidelity at least comparable to the EFX series? Also, how does the Xone 62 sound compare to the 92?

Last edited by Reticuli : 07-12-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:41 PM

http://data.rs7000.org/forums/showth...p?threadid=241

along with the general smapler sound quality issue, this is why i dont bother looking up roland stuff. Maybe I am biased as I absolutely enjoy the rs7000.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 PM

Well I heard it at Guitar Center and the beats sounded more like beats than the low frequency "tones" of the XL-7. That link you post is to mostly a bunch of people who made comments when the thing first came out and the rest of them either haven't used it or like it. If it takes 1cm to move a single whole BPM that's actually fine, as long as it's moving in 1/10th of a BPM each mm. Also, what are they talking about compressing the sound to 32bit? Huh? The samples are 16bit. Are they talking about 32khz? The sampling on the 909 is 16/44.1 according to the manual. It can't be any worse than the 404, and people like the way that sounds. The only thing I found interesting in that thread was someone mentioned the effects parameters cannot be changed on the non-reverb effects except through the menus. This worries me, but I highly doubt it's correct. It sounds like a bunch of people who'd just gotten the unit and didn't know what they were doing with it yet. Any talk on the OS is moot, too, because even the XL-7 was garbage until the later updates. Mine crashed every 30 minutes until the last two updates. The fact that the recent posts are by people who either like the 909 or have never used it tells me the earlier posts were probably not valid. Are there any other threads or reviews that are more recent?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:15 AM

An odd quirk of the 909 from a review I'm reading is that extra ram added to it is dynamic. It's only for temporary sampling. Only the installed upgrade cards, the original 16MB and the 128MB smartcard reader will still have their samples. That's kind of troubling. That's still over 20 minutes worth that you can save onto it from your computer, but with the smartcards not being hot swappable there are limitations.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA.audio
my only issue with Redsound is a lack of support in the US.....

my cycloops recently started acting funny.....

they want me to ship my cycloops back to the UK for repair, evidently ESO (in NY) does not do their repair work anymore

David,
maybe it really needs repair, but some issues are solved with a firmware upgrade. I also had a few issues with my Soundbite, and they asked if I wanted to correct the problem myself. I just needed a cable and a small program to update the firmware. After doing that, it worked perfectly...
Old 07-13-2006, 12:58 PM

I open up my cycloops and didn't see any input port... maybe i will take it apart and have another look....

I saw the thread on tourism talking about the firmware update, but think it may not be applicable to my unit...

guess i need to look again. I sure do miss that piece...

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 07-13-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticuli
The Xones are also pre-fader on the EQ's and filters, which I'm not used to but have fantasized about having so I can actually fade in using the EQs while still hearing the full signal in the phones. Never done that before in practice, though. Not sure what to do.

at one of my residencies, they usually have a xone62 set up (occasionally a pioneer - ) and i'm sure you can hear the EQ in the headphones. i actually checked this past weekend because i wanted to make sure.
the filters are after the headphones, which can occasionally screw you up if you forget that you've left it on.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA.audio
I open up my cycloops and didn't see any input port... maybe i will take it apart and have another look....

I saw the thread on tourism talking about the firmware update, but think it may not be applicable to my unit...

guess i need to look again. I sure do miss that piece...

that's strange. Maybe they only introduced it on Soundbite.

Mine had a com port on the rear part. It was only needed to unscrew it and then plug an appropriate cable (pins 1-1)...
Old 07-13-2006, 06:28 PM

I thought this is something you have to change internally with a jumper or some soldiering. By default I think they're all post cue, right? That's what the guy with the used one and those on Djforums are telling me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminb
at one of my residencies, they usually have a xone62 set up (occasionally a pioneer - ) and i'm sure you can hear the EQ in the headphones. i actually checked this past weekend because i wanted to make sure.
the filters are after the headphones, which can occasionally screw you up if you forget that you've left it on.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:31 PM

Has anyone played with a Spectralis?

It was released previous to a fully developed OS, but it seems a lot of design effort was placed into it for its live playability, most of the feedback I've seen has been focused on its song production qualities and the quality of its analog synth rather then its live 'groove box' functions. Apparently it does or will have the ability to play rex files, imported via usb.

It ain't cheap $2500!!!

http://www.spectralis.de/english/english.html
Old 07-14-2006, 10:56 AM

admittedly, the link i posted is notthe greatest, but a server crash at livepa.org lost the the thread where an experienced guy decided to return the 909.

http://www.livepa.org/board/viewtopi...ighlight=mc909
Old 07-14-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der geile ami
admittedly, the link i posted is notthe greatest, but a server crash at livepa.org lost the the thread where an experienced guy decided to return the 909.

http://www.livepa.org/board/viewtopi...ighlight=mc909

Still not much of a help since the topic is the 808 and 404. The guy that comments on the 909 never sampled with it. Thanks, though. MIDI is just too unpredictable to DJ with on the XL-7. Even if I get it synced, when the CD track ends there's no way to put the Emu back on its own timing without going through a menu and manually increasing from 0 to the BPM it was at. And much of the time it keeps giving me two values that it switches from: a lower base value and the new one. If I just turn off the MIDI signal from the Midiman thrubox, then it slows to a crawl. At this point I don't trust anything but my own ears. I have to do it manually, and the XL-7 just isn't designed for that much manual precision. I will ponder this subject some more. Ponder, ponder, ponder...

Last edited by Reticuli : 07-14-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticuli
I thought this is something you have to change internally with a jumper or some soldiering. By default I think they're all post cue, right? That's what the guy with the used one and those on Djforums are telling me.

i'm sure the one at this club hasn't been modified - the resident sound guy isn't into DJing, and wasn't buying it through a company that would do that kind of thing.
perhaps the xone92 is set up that way, but the 62 is definitely not.

it did seem like the EQ response wasn't as exagerrated in the headphones, but it was definitely there.