Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2006, 06:34 AM

U simply must read this!!!!!!

Ok let me just settle down for a minute as AHHHHHH ok I cant hold it in no more UREI 1620LE NEW 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES 500 big ones, may I ask why so cheap?? but to hell with that I'm getting one in a month if they are still at that price and avalible! SO dont buy all the stock of them..whell ok I ain't gonna tell u who is selling them here in the UK for that price. What I must...ok then it's HTFR! of all people
Old 07-07-2006, 06:42 AM

Who's selling them for £500?
Old 07-07-2006, 06:52 AM

www.htfr.com

in the uk
Old 07-07-2006, 07:15 AM

One small question other than why so cheap..How dose it differ from mixing on a normal mixer i.e. DJm500 Xone62? and the way I want to set it up is like this...
RCA unbalanced outs from Main house out go into my audio amp and the XLR balanced outs from the house go into some kind of VU meeter. Mixing I would of thought would be done like this..set the volume input pots to about 5 6 or 7 then turn up the house output until you reach few db's below 0 i.e. -2db on the meeter than keep that level uniform throughout

Is that how u mix on that mixer? after all there is no gain so you need to leave room on the inputs for low recorded vinyls
Old 07-07-2006, 07:18 AM

Also is there chance of over driving the phono card with my carts (ortofon Night Club E) after all 6mv needles werent to popular when that mixer was out, what resistors would I need to change to modify it's gain? and what values?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:49 PM

very interesting. I guess they are not selling any 1620LE's... so, they found a way to fix that
Old 07-07-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
Also is there chance of over driving the phono card with my carts (ortofon Night Club E) after all 6mv needles werent to popular when that mixer was out, what resistors would I need to change to modify it's gain? and what values?

I don't think that would be an issue....

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 07-07-2006, 04:16 PM

check your PM vinyl junkie

Last edited by mynameismatt : 07-07-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:23 AM

Ask Larry:
Klick!

I bought my 1620 a year ago and i learnd a lot more about mixing, my tracks and how to work the crowd only with different volume levels.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:16 AM

I wonder if those units are knock offs or the real thing. That price is fantastic.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:35 PM

How the hell are you suppose to mix with that thing? Can you hear the pgrm and cue through the headphones at the same time? Can you cue two tracks in the phones at once? Is it true that the gain knobs are post cue and what you hear in the phones is just one cue at its default input level? That means you adjust the headphone for the cue track that's the only thing playing in the phones, and then you turn one gain up while turning the other down to transition? No eq on the channels? Is this what they call the "New York Style" and why?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:43 PM

I am assuming you are talking about the 1620LE, or any other old school rotary....

here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticuli
How the hell are you suppose to mix with that thing?
, you said it yourself -- mix, track selection becomes very important when you can't EQ out of a bad place so easily....

Quote:
Can you hear the pgrm and cue through the headphones at the same time?
no

Quote:
Can you cue two tracks in the phones at once?
no

Quote:
Is it true that the gain knobs are post cue and what you hear in the phones is just one cue at its default input level? That means you adjust the headphone for the cue track that's the only thing playing in the phones, and then you turn one gain up while turning the other down to transition?
cue does have a gain adjustment pot

Quote:
No eq on the channels?

EQ on left and right channels, but i don't think most people really use them...

Last edited by DSA.audio : 07-13-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:49 PM

Don't the headphones have a volume control?

From the photos it doesn't look like there are separate gain knobs. It just looks like rotaries that are post-cue.

Since the cue system can only allow you to monitor one channel at a time, do you use open-type phones like Sennheisers for setting up the blend before transitioning?

And what is "New York Style" that supposedly uses the simple rotaries like this?

Last edited by Reticuli : 07-13-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:52 PM

yep -- volume control = gain knob; right?

here's a pic of the cue section....

for clarity's sake, there is not an additional gain knob per channel like on the RANE 2016
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06_1.jpg (23.0 KB, 252 views)

Old 07-13-2006, 06:57 PM

By gain knobs I mean the input volumes. You're are saying, Yes, there's a headphone volume control. But my big concern is that the channel gains and fader/knobs appear to be the same thing on this mixer and this simple gain system is run post-cue. So in reality the input gain for each channel appears to be fixed and there's just a rotary channel volume on each that is of course post cue (so the volume can be down while you hear it in the phones). Do you use open phones to hear the nightclub's main program with the cue?

Oh, and does that cue/program switch just change between the one cue channel and the pgrm? There's no middle notch for both?

Last edited by Reticuli : 07-13-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticuli
Do you use open phones to hear the nightclub's main program with the cue?

Oh, and does that cue/program switch just change between the one cue channel and the pgrm? There's no middle notch for both?

no i use 7506s or a DUO stick normally....

yep, no middle position....

Old 07-13-2006, 07:07 PM

So I'm correct in thinking the input trims for each channel are fixed? There's no real separate gain, just the channel rotaries that are post cue?
Old 07-13-2006, 07:12 PM

yep -- i do think you are right...

the Rane has the redundant channel gains....

Old 07-13-2006, 07:32 PM

Yeah, but one's useful for PFL and is pre-cue, while the other is the rotary equivolent of a post-cue line fader.

You know, one could always use a little headphone mixer from Rolls to combine the prgm from the record out to the cue signal. I wonder why Soundcraft just didn't add a middle prgm+cue notch to that switch. Right before I transition I like to have both in both ears to listen for a few seconds.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:47 PM

What kind of case would you even be able to put one of these things in? Are there any rackmount units that are deep enough and big enough to handle both the Urei and the XL-7? How many of you guys actually mix completely without the master in the headphones? Mabye a 1620LE and a pair of Grados wouldn't be such a bad idea. Talk about retro.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:44 AM

...I saw this, all I can think is that they've massively overestimated the demand for a mixer with great sound and stripped down features in the UK market.

Shame really... but it was launched with remarkably little fanfare and they could really have done with some A-list DJ endorsement like Zabiela and Sanchez with Pioneer.

There'll be some folk grabbing a bargain as a result though.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:41 AM

I bought my 1620LE last year (there are only 2 units sold here in Germany) and in need at least 1 month of practising (is that the right word ) to learn mixing without
EQs.
But now i cant even imagine how i could use the EQs (especially the bass) so damm much.
There is no need to cut out the bass, if you have selected the right tunes and have matched the speed correctly.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:01 PM

Well I've never used EQ's to cheat the mix...unless it's an emergency. Lately I've started to use them to get the frequency responses of both tracks to match so it's more seemless, but I could do without that. In the beginning I had a purist approach to mixing and would say "Hey, that's the way the track's supposed to sound." But it bothers me that you have no separate pre-cue gain and would have to adjust the volume on the headphones each time, and that it's only one cue in the headphone with no dual-cue or master/cue blend of any kind. That means I'd have to always have my home system cranked really loud and do either single ear cueing or find open phones that will allow the main system's sound to blend with the cue. But with open phones I'll never be able to cut out the master when I'm finding my place on the record. I just don't see how you can accurately enough prep the blend before fading over without both tracks in the headphone to check it. Whenever I do single ear mixing it's faster getting the initial sync, but is more likely to drift a lot. Is it because I'm focusing too much on the micro-drift and not enough on hearing the tempos in a general way?

Also, what percentage of dance clubs would you guys say still use these types of simple post-cue gain rotaries? Should I be learning on one because it's what's used?

Last edited by Reticuli : 07-15-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:59 PM

Most of the clubs that are using rotarys had Rane MP2016 with XP, so no problem for you.

Im using an HD25 (its a closed-type phone) and got no problem at all.

For me "adjusting something" is the biggest fun on my Urei, cause its not like turning knobs on an Pioner DJM XXX (i own an DJM800 to) the feeling is mutch better.
But its hard to describe, something like driving an old car, and with a RLA Style crossover and the right system its like driving an Hemi powered Musclecar.
Not easy to handle, but if you do can handle it your are on top.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:37 PM

Is the 1620LE the same as the original as the original 1620?

I currently own a djm500. it'd been fine for the bedroom but would def love to check out a urei.

thanks

Ross