Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 12:29 PM

Technics SL-120Mk2, anyone familiar with this model?

I just got a "new" turntable, an armless version of the SL-1200Mk2.
I know they made an armless version of the SL-1200 (SL-120, Mk1), but I've never heard about an SL-120Mk2. The only reference I've found are some pics at a japanese website. Does any of you guys have any info on this model? Production runs, etc?

Pic: http://www.axemen.org/1200.jpg
Fortunately it looks better than in the picture.

According to the operating instructions sheet,
the SL-120Mk2 was sold without an arm, and pre-mounted with an SME armboard.

Quote:
The SL-120Mk2 is designed for SME3009 series so that the mounting hole of bedplate has already been cut-out. Install the tonearm in accordance with the tonearm's instructions.

The assembly and set-up illustrations shows an SME 3009 Series III beeing mounted (mine came with a SME 3009 S2 Improved).
The grounding was also optimized for SME arms, with a special grounding point at the mains cable inlet. The turntable was delivered with a seperate ground cable, to be attached to this terminal. All other specs are like the SL-1200Mk2 (the earlier versions of those, with a plinth without the Pocan layer, and a larger armhole in the bottom of the plinth).
Old 11-17-2006, 04:59 PM

120 mk2

Hello Virak

My friend has one, the ultimate technics for DJ home listening. SME 3009 improved and V15 III. It is very good indeed. The spec is exact as you said although I haven't had the rubber off to see if it has the plastic mass missing.

Please keep this secret.......ooopps!

I have SME 3009 and original cast technics adapter to do the same, although if the 120 no pocan layer (which I'm guessing is the mass you are refering to) then mine might be better

Oh, everyone who hears our sound wants the same sound for themselves.

Pics to follow.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:23 PM

Its all in this plate.

How do I attach images?

Last edited by daveg : 11-19-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:17 AM

Use this button:
I'll post some pics later, too. Right now a housemate is lending the TT while I'm working on some other projects. At the moment it's playing with a Technics supermat and a Stanton 680EE. Very nice.
The funny thing is that I was actually working on a SL-1200Mk2 / SME 3009 S2 combo when this suddenly showed up! Got the arm and armboard from an SL-120, and bought an arm and feetless SL-1200Mk2 on ePay (a set of Isones are on their way). Oh, well...

Last edited by virak : 11-20-2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:27 AM

Hi All,
Been ages since I posted...

Hi DavegG! Did Technics actually make an adapter for the SME? Thats quite something! I built a very simple adapter for an SME some time back, its not a particularly hard procedure, to do it really neatly would take time tho' .

For ultimate cool factor the SME 3009 12' transcription arm would be a must of course Wonder if it would fit? Different spacing I guess....

Cheers
Old 11-21-2006, 02:14 PM

sme

Hello DJnick

Yes, the Technics part was made but only comes attached to certain decks. This won't be around as a spare part. As everything of this Technics era it is very nicely made and finished.

I'm not wanting to give any more details but it looks like this will bump up the ebay prices

I am looking for a SME cable assembly and plug by the way, this project is not urgent so pictures will be pending. I also have no host for link picture to as yet.

Dave
Old 12-27-2006, 08:36 PM

pic of adapter

For our info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_DSCF1585.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1258  
Old 12-27-2006, 08:38 PM

picture 2

Look out for this plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_DSCF1582.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1259  
Old 12-28-2006, 08:22 AM

There is also another completely flat armboard, where the SME base is mounted diagonally. I have one of those too, from an SL-120 (Mk1). I see some people are selling stainless steel copies of those on ebay.co.uk, albeit with a 3-hole mounting pattern (you won't have to drill new holes). The original armboards are cast aluminium, plus there's an undrilled rosewood version (yummy!). I've seen the armboard pictured here go for 50+, btw...

Mine is currently playing with the original Technics Supermat, Isonoes and a NOS Stanton 680EE/S (stereohedron) cart, and it's an absolutely brilliant match! I also got a new armclip, and I'm now playing around with the fluid damper.

Next project: Get an old-school Concorde cart (the really light ones) to use with a Super OM40 stylus. I've already purcased a lighter counterweight, so I can balance the arm with this combo. If my resonance calculations aren't completely wrong, this should produce rather pleasant sounds.