Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 04:20 PM

Few questions regarding second hand arms/Technics Mod

Hi, after looking around I thought it would be a nice idea to go and get a Rega RB-250 arm with an Origin Live Arm Board and fit it to my technics sl1210 mk2. Any sort of things I should look out for? Or any tips? I know most bearings in the arms of technics sl series if brought on ebay are crap, I had a few of these. I'm also toying with the idea of getting some Grado DJ200's or 100's styli.
I personally think the stock technics arm sound awful.

If I go ahead I will ebay the 2 Technics arms complete with base and 2x Ortofon Concorde Night Club Eís, this should cover few things anyway.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:21 PM

http://www.tonearm.co.uk/dj-technics-arm.htm
Old 01-24-2007, 04:39 PM

I like these....

http://www.knekt.com/spec_sound/prod...KEN= 39845160

but my local Linn dealer said to me, "I don't deal with any of their turntable parts"

I was sad....

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 01-24-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA.audio
I like these....

http://www.knekt.com/spec_sound/prod...KEN= 39845160

but my local Linn dealer said to me, "I don't deal with any of their turntable parts"

I was sad....

I can't believe that, sad isnít the word! All the dealers around here including retailers selling Linn are very much into their turntables and know a lot of stuff., always very knowledgeable and helpful (The smaller stores) I havenít had the time or money to go into these sort of shops for at least a year now though.
Also check out the reviews about the modified rb-205
http://www.tonearm.co.uk/tonearm.htm
I will have a stock 250 if I go for one but the upgrade potential is real nice it seems, also it seems to get better reviews than the pricier RB-300
Old 01-24-2007, 04:55 PM

OMG I just did some additional research and decided I can not afford the Linn that I linked to.....

I had been tryign to locate a local dealer to get a price quote, if what I found on the web is correct....

DAYUM....

Old 01-24-2007, 05:12 PM

Thought so. No Linn comes cheap, and wayyyyy out of my budget. If I had the cash I would go for a new top line SME arm drooollll , I think GSA or Shortey uses them on theyr installs.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:20 PM

those ain't cheap either....

Old 01-24-2007, 05:21 PM

RB-250/Ol1

Silver Tonearm
Old 01-24-2007, 05:22 PM

RB-250's are very cheap here, how's £60 for a second hand one? I know SME's cost the earth...
Old 01-24-2007, 08:10 PM

I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
RB-250/Ol1

Silver Tonearm

Rega Silver tone arms with Grado Prestiege Gold cartridges, and they sound amazing takes about a week or 2 to break in depending on how many hours you use them at first, i am ordering shortly, the Rega silver MK2 arms for my other 2 turntables.

I am a dealer for the Origin live products so if guys want these products i can offer them to you.

I have used the SME 3009 OR 3006 cant recall the old model # tone arms in a few situations, and dont like them, with a floating suspension and a counterweight on the line swinging, it tangles up and will throw off the tone arms tracking and will effect the way it will track in the groove, so it will effect the quality of your music and system playback. This is why i did not go for the Rega Encounter arm, for the same reasons i dont like the SME, the Encounter is even more superior to the Silver or SME products, which the SME tone arms are not even made anymore,but i didnt go for the Encounter because the Encounter aswell offers this tone arm with the counter weight on the string like the SME but the encounter sounds rediculous.

For a standard home audio enviorment where the turntable is on a flat surface that does not float, they work well but not in a situation when the turntable is on a floating base with rubber band suspension. But i still enjoy the Rega Silver Tone arms better for music playback over the SME any day of the week

www.systemsbyshorty.com
myspace.com/soundmanshorty
soundmanshorty@hotmail.com

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 01-25-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshorty
I am a dealer for the Origin live products so if guys want these products i can offer them to you.

Good to know! i was planning on buying the adapter plate and possibly some isonoe feet directly from OL. i'll send you an email for pricing.

btw, does anyone know how well the RB250 lines up parallel to the platter with the OL mount and standard Technics rubber mat? i was thinking that a VTA adjuster might be required, but it doesn't seem to be necessary in the photos. in fact, it almost looks like the mat could stand to be just a hair thicker.

jeff h
Old 01-24-2007, 10:21 PM

I would

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynagroove
Good to know! i was planning on buying the adapter plate and possibly some isonoe feet directly from OL. i'll send you an email for pricing.

btw, does anyone know how well the RB250 lines up parallel to the platter with the OL mount and standard Technics rubber mat? i was thinking that a VTA adjuster might be required, but it doesn't seem to be necessary in the photos. in fact, it almost looks like the mat could stand to be just a hair thicker.

jeff h

Sugest you use a VTA adjuster to set this up, because you can set these tone arms up with different adjustments and each way it will sound different, so you can try it in different weays to tune it the way you like
Old 01-25-2007, 05:51 AM

VTA adjuster

I bought a VTA adjuster when I got an RB250 and OL armboard for one of my 1210s. I ended up not using it because without it, the arm sits at just the right height, parallel to the platter. With the adjuster, the extra height pushed it up a bit too much so the arm was at a bit of an angle.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:55 AM

unless you have audiophile soundgear its not going to be much of a noticable difference especially on a club system at higher volume with an arm like a rega or sme

the technics arm is pretty good with a grado cart
Old 01-25-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynagroove

jeff h

If you're going to keep the original rubber mat (good man - massive improvement right there - I can't understand why anyone would remove it...) you'll need a VTA adjuster.

With your average slipmat and no VTA adjuster, the arm will be parallel; but with the mat, you'll need the extra height afforded by the VTA ring.

The difference on kick drum is astounding. I would suggest to anyone that can't hear it that they might want to get their ears syringed...

Justin
Old 01-25-2007, 09:34 AM

the rega arms sound better and much clearer and musically sure footed than the technics arm.
the origin live arms dont really do it for me, i use michell tecno arms.
by the way the the new sme 3 series and the iv and v do not use thread bias systems and work fantastically well on technics 1200 decks but they are all very expensive. and armboards are hard to come by if you cannot make your own.
you should all remember the arm has more influence on the sound quality than the cartridge in terms of musical information being retreived.

i have played my modded decks to lots of people and taken them to clubs and sound men and dj's are always gobsmacked at the better sound of the upgraded decks.

i would not use a linn arm on a dj deck the arm bearings are waaaay to fragile a big no no and a very expensive mistake.

stick to rega / michell or go hi end with an sme 310 or series iv. the v is overkill.

Last edited by darrylfunk : 01-25-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bissnette
unless you have audiophile soundgear its not going to be much of a noticable difference especially on a club system at higher volume with an arm like a rega or sme

the technics arm is pretty good with a grado cart

this is for my listening rig - all tube gear, so yea, the little things are going to make a noticable difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic
If you're going to keep the original rubber mat (good man - massive improvement right there - I can't understand why anyone would remove it...) you'll need a VTA adjuster.

With your average slipmat and no VTA adjuster, the arm will be parallel; but with the mat, you'll need the extra height afforded by the VTA ring.

that's what i needed to know - thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylfunk
the origin live arms dont really do it for me, i use michell tecno arms.
also good to know your opinion. i have not personally heard the OL arm, so i have nothing to base their claims on. i'm planning on sticking with the stock RB250. down the road, i will probably do a Cardas rewire and go with a new counterweight setup.

jeff h
Old 01-27-2007, 06:40 PM

Saw this mod with Goldring Lenco on Ebay!!!
Item # 190074572862
Nice!@
Old 01-27-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_CARY
Saw this mod with Goldring Lenco on Ebay!!!
Item # 190074572862
Nice!@

I might be wrong but...That's a bad mod! You are still using the nasty technics bearings and arm. Also those bearings should be done to a precise tightness and Iím talking microns.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
I might be wrong but...That's a bad mod! You are still using the nasty technics bearings and arm. Also those bearings should be done to a precise tightness and I’m talking microns.

Regarding bearings: Technics SL-1200Mk2 arm bearings have a tolerance of ± 0.5 microns. Bearing friction is 0.007gr. Do you really think a Rega RB250 or RB300 (I own/owned both, btw) has better bearings?
You'll might find the Regas better sounding, but that's another story.

Are you familiar with the "Linn swing test"? You remove the couterweight, place the arm hanging vertically on e.g. the end of a table, give it a light push, and count how many cycles the arm swings before it stops.

I had a little Rega RB300 vs. SL-1200Mk2 arm shoot-out a while ago:
Rega RB300: approx. 30 cycles (I don't remember the exact number). That's considered to be very good.
Technics arm: I stopped counting after 250 cycles...

That arm modification is utter cr*p, though.

Last edited by virak : 01-28-2007 at 01:22 PM.