Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 06:51 PM

Technics M5G "improved" tonearm...does it sound better?

I'm considering getting a new turntable for vinyl-recording, and wondering if anyone else has used the M5G's and noticed any improvements.

For that matter, is anyone using anything completely different and getting better results?

http://www.markandrus.com
Old 07-01-2007, 11:21 PM

Never compared the MK5 to the MK2 directly.

A 1200 with an origin live arm will give you better sound than the MK5 arm.
This also means you have a turntable which can be used for Djing if ever needed.

If you are NEVER going to use it for DJing, a HiFi turntable will give better sound quality.
I have a Linn Sondek with a rega arm and it is GREAT !!!
These have been in production since 1973 so they can be found on ebay at decent (ish) prices.

But it CANNOT be used for DJing.
I watched David Mancuso try to when he came to Glasgow and Linn supplied the soundsystem. Records were skipping all over the place.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydebuilt
I have a Linn Sondek with a rega arm and it is GREAT !!!

Just out of curiosity, have you ever listened to the same cartridge you use in the Rega, on a stock Technics (in the same system, of course)?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:12 AM

the technics arm has a marginally higher effective mass so it suits other carts than the rega arm.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:17 AM

The cartridge I have on the rega is a Dynavector 10x5.
I haven't tried it on my Technics because it can't be back cued, and it retails at US$380 so after mounting it on the Rega I haven't touched it.
And I HATE aligning cartridges.

It's a very expensive cartridge if all you are going to do is rip vinyl, but if like me you spend a lot time listening to records it's a nice luxury.
If you had the money then I'm sure it would make fantastic CDs.
It was a friend who used to work at Linn that advised me on this Cart.
The needle doctor site has them for sale.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:08 PM

So I've been using the M5G for a few weeks, for recording vinyl.

Compared to the 20-year-old 1200 Mk2 I was using previously, it seems to have made a relatively minor, but noticeable, improvement in the sound quality. This is with the same Shure V15vxMR cartridge I was using on the older turntable.

I believe the moving mass of the M5G arm is slightly lower (the arm seems to be made from a different material), and that, as well as the improved internal cabling, may account for the difference.

I only wish the pop-up light used a white LED instead of blue. It annoys me enough that I might change it out.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:34 PM

so, do you think that it is "normal maintenance" type issue, or "new and improved"

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 08-05-2007, 10:44 PM

The arm design, and reduction in moving mass, could definitely account for an audible improvement. With phono-level signals, so could the better-quality cabling.

Obviously the older turntable's being 20 years old could have also played into it...those moving parts on a tonearm can degrade, I guess.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark
snip-Compared to the 20-year-old 1200 Mk2 I was using previously, it seems to have made a relatively minor, but noticeable, improvement in the sound quality. This is with the same Shure V15vxMR cartridge I was using on the older turntable. -snip

I'm surprised you are getting decent results with the Shure V15 on either deck, really. (I have and love a Shure V15III with VN35mr myself). The V15 likes tonearms with very low effective mass and the technics arms definetely fall into the medium mass territory. I would think this, combined with their low tracking-force requirements, would make it troublesome. No issues?

Just interesting, not dissing your setup. Matter of fact I have been on the prowl for a decent tonearm just so I can use my V15!! (it worked wonderfully on the 12" Grace transcription tonearm I had on my lathe.....)

Erik

Edit: just noticed the v15vxMR has a slightly lower compliance than my v15III so explains a bit....
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 AM

you have a vinyl lathe?

neato....

Old 08-06-2007, 12:47 PM

Did.

Sadly vinyl demand is small enough here in the states that I could not justify keeping it. Went to Germany, where vinyl interest is actually growing.

Despite the interest on this forum of enthusiasts who still appreciate vinyl, other than in Europe (mainly UK and Germany) and Japan, it is becoming financially very difficult to maintain a vinyl mastering studio. One sad element is that in the states, many of the few remaining old-skool vinyl engineers who have a huge wealth of traditional studio experience are not even getting work.....knowledge that will literally disappear.

Anyways, the Neumann lathe had a simple but nice sounding 12" Grace tonearm that I have not seen before or since. Wish I had kept it.

Cheers,

Erik
Old 08-06-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
One sad element is that in the states, many of the few remaining old-skool vinyl engineers who have a huge wealth of traditional studio experience are not even getting work.....knowledge that will literally disappear.

agreed...

same with alot of the old technologies....

flip side of the same token tho', kinda uplifting the pains that WE went through with the re-release of the 300B tubes....

maybe others will follow suit?

david

Old 08-07-2007, 06:36 PM

Just curious as to why you'd want a Technics turntable if you're just recording vinyl.

Are you not going to get much better audio performance out of a belt-drive audiophile turntable?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattColeridge
Just curious as to why you'd want a Technics turntable if you're just recording vinyl.

Are you not going to get much better audio performance out of a belt-drive audiophile turntable?

You would be surprised, the 1200 is actually a very good audiophile turntable but the thing that lets it down is the cheap arm, the SL-1200 is actually a Sl-120, the 120 was basically a 1200 that shipped without an arm you see.
You can change the arm in a 1200 with a higher quality audiophile arm (Popular ones tend to be Rega and SME) and the results are amazing according to lots of people, even comparing it to turntables costing up to of £3000!
Even with the standard arm it isn’t a bad deck but just not as good as something more boutique costing around the same price as a 1200 but not bad, the plus point being it can also be used for DJ’ing unlike a more upmarket audiophile belt drive deck.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:15 PM

economies of scale IMO

the boutique TTs are so expensive b/c they sell hundreds of them, Technics sells considerably more of them....

Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA.audio
economies of scale IMO

the boutique TTs are so expensive b/c they sell hundreds of them, Technics sells considerably more of them....

Yep, also the 1200 was designed and built in the golden era of vinyl and when Matushita were basicaly LOADED, for a small butique brand to make and design the 1200 would cost crap loads.