Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 AM

What the?

I just saw this for sale for $1000.00. What do you guys think of this? Is this worth $1000.00?
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/ele/2420000381.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1212.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	2959  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1215.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	2960  
Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
I think it would be pretty f'ing cool to rock 4 decks with traktor on that bad boy lol. Looks hot.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:48 PM

That thing is crazy!

Never seen a Bozak with the cue switch on the left side. Is this a standard model with a custom faceplate, or a totally custom model?
Old 06-09-2011, 04:09 PM

earlier model...

notice the larger plug in mic transformers...

it's interesting that the unit has xlr outs for the mains...

I wonder if it's really an earlier model with the mono cards,
or if the early faceplate was fitted to a stereo card unit...
Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 PM

Mistick Krewe is correct. This is most likely an early DL that would have had the Cue switch on the left side with a small selector knob as shown and should have mono channel cards like the 10-2 used to create the stereo channels if it is original inside. If you look close it is obvious where the rivets were that held the original RCA output jacks that have been replaced with XLR connectors. The face plate was obviously redone and the Bozak print on the logo is incorrect. Some early models used a glue on logo overtop the print that was also original on other early DL models that had the Cue switch on the right side. The print style and logo was never changed and the registered trademark always used by the original United States Bozak Company remained the same over the years. Even though all rights have been obtain by the new company from the UK for Bozak products the logo and print style is still owned and registered under a subsidiary company that remains in the United States. It may never get used again (due to legalities) since the UK company obtained all other Bozak rights. The original logo and print style most likely will remain owned by the people who purchased everything in 1979. From what I understand it is something they keep registered under another company subsidiary and refuse to give up and maybe why it is not on the new UK Bozak products. The original owners did lease the use of the Bozak name in the 1990s to and overseas company for 10 years. I am sure that has long since expired. On another note the company called Purple Audio who reissued a couple Urei components had that color face plate dipping & metal oxidation done for them back in the 1990s when they first started out in business.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to dino59
its a D model has two phono cards per channel came with a silver faceplate not black it was a early model
Old 06-12-2011, 08:17 AM

I think that was installed at Barbie & Ken's discotheque...
Old 06-12-2011, 11:57 AM

No it's from Miami...
Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino59
its a D model has two phono cards per channel came with a silver faceplate not black it was a early model
Dino59 is also correct. When Bozak designed and introduced the D/DL series mixers there was a little over 3 years of mass confusion. The first in the series appeared as a D model with 10-2 components and a hand cut mother board using only 8 channels from the 10-2 mono/stereo mixer. The faceplate print on the mixer in this thread is that of a D and not the early DL as the model number is showing. Early model numbers would have been D designated for sure. However there are also some very early silver face DL models that actually had mono internal cards, external microphone transformers, no loop function, and 10-2 components. The run of the chassis serial numbers does not always reflect this but production stamp dates are usually in the correct time line. People think the assignment of the letter L was for Loop but it actually reflects several other updates. None the less this mixer is what it is and getting back to the original question of being worth $1000.00 dollars, I would say it is worth whatever someone would be willing to pay. It is as they say “in the eye of the beholder”.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 PM

Thats Right

I got mine for$450 and it need some work, fun project if you like that sort of thing. Question is Where can I get A face plate like That? I ended up making my own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUC50002-2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2963  Click image for larger version

Name:	4573.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	2964  Click image for larger version

Name:	14521.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	2965  
Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 AM

Anodize your faceplate and let it engrave.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 AM

Nice job of bringing a mixer back to life by MainEssentials. I know that Buzzy Beck has a lot of the original faceplates and chassis and may have that D faceplate if you check with him. He has a lot of older inventory from the 1970s and may still have one of those plates. Several years ago he gave me an original silver DL plate and at that time he had a lot of other silver and black plates just sitting in boxes. He also had boxes of Bozak records and paper work from the 1970s – 1980s and he told me he did keep all the original faceplate and chassis films from the different outside vendors they used. You could also get someone to do a plate for you from scratch. There are companies out there that will do a single plate for around $150.00 but the quality of the plates varies from different sources. I have seen reproductions that are nice and others that are not so nice.