Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 AM

Vintage Pioneer Amps

Hi all, I was wondering what you all thought of Pioneer transistor amps manufactured from around the 70’s to the early 80’s.
I was thinking of buying an SA-7800 as a temp amp until I get my modern one fixed (Analogue switch relay needs replacement)
Looking deeper into it they look pretty good! Low distortion figures even by today’s standards and some even go up to 80 kHz!
I was wondering how these stand up by today’s standards and what are the best models to go for? Also what prices are you expected to pay on these items?
I always had a thing for these types of vintage amps since an early age, I think it would be nice to compare one to what I have now and see how it stands up. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was better sounding.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 AM

the one in that pic looks brand new ! anything made back then by the japenese was relatively good i liked the sansui and the kenwoods too
Old 05-13-2007, 01:21 PM

WOW! That very Pioneer integrated amp has been in my family for years, making music for my neices these days at me brother's house. It's never failed.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbellsound
WOW! That very Pioneer integrated amp has been in my family for years, making music for my neices these days at me brother's house. It's never failed.

Cool
So how does it sound? That one in the pic finishes in 40 minutes on ebay.

Nothing quite spells childhood like a vintage 70's amp with those lovely backlit VU meters
Here's a pic of an older Pioneer the SA-606 AHHHH that looks so sexy!
Old 05-13-2007, 01:48 PM

F*#**#! I just looked at my bank statement and I forgot I pissed all my money last month on records, downloads and some new clothes....SHIT!
I was going to bid on that..... Oh well getting paid soon hahahh
Old 05-13-2007, 02:31 PM

You'll do well with the big recievers of the 70,s and early 80,s. People go for them on ebay all the time, most notable are Sansui, Kenwood, Pioneer, and some of the Onkyo,s!

In the American brands, Marantz and Fisher, and even the McIntosh recievers are VERY desirable.

Alot of guys that got some of these big pieces from the 70,s always remark about how a 75wpc Sansui sounds stronger than todays stuff of the same rated power. And, the good recievers have that nice sound as well, warm, punchy bass, smooth highs.

I used to use a Sansui Eight reciever from 1971, that my dad gave me, it powered my JBL 4312,s and it was only 50 watts per channel, but sounded alot better, and stronger, than my 100 watt Denon reciever from 1986.

If you want a reciever like this stuff, ebay always has items available, and you can get a good buy.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
This is my Technics SE-A5 MKII which powers my vintage Mirage M3's. I remember listening to it in the early 90's against some Krell and Mark Levinson at the time and it was the biggest bang for the buck they sold at my local store here. Great piece, i'll never part with it until it dies

Old 05-13-2007, 07:12 PM

Nice, I read an article in a Hi-Fi mag here in the UK a while back about those Technics Amps. They said how under rated they are, they tested it with the matching pre-amp but said best results were gotten by using a different pre(Not Technics).
Also another golden oldie here is the Quad 303 Power amp, there is a place on the net modifying them and apparently they sound the business, although if you get quad to restore/refurbish them apparently this gives off the warmest sound.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf104

That's an awesome looking piece of equipment!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
Nice,

Im very happy with my mcintosh too, the model i have is from 1978 MAC 4100, there are some pics on a past thread
Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
I love Mcintosh stuff. Almost had my hands on a free set of vintage amps last year but missed the opportunity..meh

I originally heard my current babies (http://www.miragespeakers.com/PDFs/c...M3brochure.pdf) (well, the M1's, I have M3's) auditioned on Mcintosh Amps with a Krell Pre-Amp, D/A and CD player back around 1991 or so. I inherited my Mirage M3's from my parents and i'll never get rid of them. I'm a big fan of the unique bi-polar design they incorporate and it gives one of the most realistic sounding performances I ever heard. I used to listen to something David Sanborn, or the ultimate creaking door on Thriller at the beginning of the track and if you closed your eyes you'd swear it was real in front of you. It's a shame the direction Mirage in particular has gone with the mass production direction.

I still remember hearing M1's (which were about $5k a pair back in 1990) auditioned next to Wilson Audio $50k speakers and the M1's were pretty damn close. Of course you weren't offered free caviar with an M1 audition though

Last edited by atf104 : 05-16-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:01 PM

I actually got a Pioneer SA-508 (euro version of the SA-5800, little brother of the SA-7800) today, I expected it would be just OK, but it's a really nice sounding little amp! I've only tried it with Sonab OD-11 speakers, though. 25wpc/8ohms, but that's a very conservative rating. Don't think you'll regret buying the SA-7800.

Last edited by virak : 05-24-2007 at 09:04 PM.