Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Youre mixers down the years...

Synergy Hybrid:

First mixer - got it with my first LIMIT direct drive decks. Was OK - miss the kill switches sometimes (only sometimes) but it died after a year. traded it in for a...

Citronic Mixer:

This had an onboard sampler which was why I bought it. Four channels. Took it home, and headphone output didnt work so I traded that back with the shop for...

Numark DM1200:

First proper mixer. best thing about this was the EQ, which could really shape the sound. Down points = headphone died after a year, had a x-fader for the cue. Never a fan of this. Sold this along with my LIMIT DD Decks, to get 2x 1200 TTs and...

Pioneer DJM600S:

Despite the bad press it gets, I loved this mixer . decent effects (Which I hardly ever used), great cueing system (Each channel can be cued, applied eq is heard through the phones, phones level was loud, and you could check the PGM as well: very comprehensive). Very clear sounding, though if a little glassy.
The headphone output started going, and I realised i didnt need the BPM/ effects etc so i sold it and bought this next mixer for £35 new:

Numark DM950:

Very clean sound quality, though features were stark: applied eq doesnt appear in the cue, you couldnt check the PGM in the cue, and no meters. Sold it soon after for the price I paid. Better Sound than my DJM600 though for 1/20th the price

Urei 1620LE:

One of 2 current mixers I currently have: SQ is excellent, if a little mid-range oriented. Rotary feel is excellent, as is the build quality. Plenty of inputs etc. the only thing against it is the cue system is a bit restrictive. You can only choose 1 cue channel and you can switch between that and the PGM, so you cant preview a mix if youre not running booth monitors. Im trying to get it modded though.

Vestax PMC-20:

I got this mixer cheap, good for quick/ scratch mixing, and very ergonomic. Thinking of learning (or attempting to) how to scratch. Bad points: SQ is the anti-urei: good treble and bass, but virtually no midrange (?) and the cue has no PGM preview and the dreaded crossfader between the 2 cue channels (grr!!!)

To sum up: ive had a few mixers!!! what about you?

Last edited by man_traic : 11-07-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:28 PM

started on Rane MP24 (club's mixer)

bought a Redsound INfader when it came out ~2000

bought a Rane 2016 combo.... sold it
bought a few 'beater' Bozaks... sold them (should have fixed them)
bought a Urei 1620... still have it
was given a AudioArts 5200A... still have it

Doolittle & Seymour Associates

Last edited by DSA.audio : 10-13-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:04 PM

- My first mixtapes I did on a Sony TC-K6B Cassette deck that had separate stereo
rotary controls for the deck's two RCA and DIN inputs. No cueing.

- Home made as a school project
4 faders with cueing + master

- wb (don´t remember the model, not the model 2000)
Small 4 channel

- JBN MM60 MKII
Swedish, small 4 channel

- Power mpk 307
Small 4 channel

- Numark 1175

- Gemini PDM 6012

- LEM DM 1508
Large Club Mixer

- Vestax scratch mixer
Some early model

These I still own:

- Dynacord SM 7050
Large Club Mixer

- Citronic Predator
Has been my real workhorse for the past 10 years or so

- UrEi 1620LE
Doesn´t need a description...

- Outline Pro 405
My current mixer

- Ecler SCLAT 200 v5
My newest toy, with 100 mm faders

(I don´t how long the links will last and I hope I have not broken any copyright law by providing these links)
Old 10-13-2007, 10:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to djchris73
In the late 80's and early 90's I just played on other DJ's equipment. East LA days. Mostly Numark and Gemini mixers. Then, 7 year or so hiatus (Marine Corps).

Started on a Radio Shack SSM-60, brand new....1999 or so, sold it 6 months later.

Bought a Gemini PS-626, brand new, 2000....gave it to my cousin 3 months later.

Bought a Rane MM8z, brand new.... 2000, sold it 6 months later, at a big loss to buy my first rotary mixer....

Bought a Urei 1620, used, obviously, 2001....loved it, miss it, but had to sell it during dot.com burst.

Bought a Pioneer DJM-300 also. Sounded great. But not enough inputs. Outgrew it. Should of kept it.

Bought a Numark PPD MMX-2000, 2001, fell in love with it, sounded ok, but looked great with the aluminum tape I but on the knobs,
I let a famous former LA radio DJ/producer borrow it, he had some financial issues, unfortunately, my mixer ended up in a pawnshop somewhere, I guess.
Lesson learned.

Bought an American Audio DX5R, all I could afford, used it for two years. Loved it 'cause it looked cool and it was rotary.
Hated it because it sounded like shit.

Bought a "beater" Bozak, 2004, got it workin' (it was dead), loved it, sold it and regret selling it (I too, should of fixed it up and kept it.
But I could barely afford buying it, so sending it to Jersey to get it cherried was out of the question)

I was given a dead Numark PPD MMX-1000 by DJJohnK, 2005....revived it, put aluminum tape on knobs to give the classic Rotary look, used it for a year or two loved the look, wasn't thrilled with the sound, sold it to someone on this board to buy my....

Rane MP2016A, brand new, 2007... still have it, love it, will keep it and use it for mobile work.

Needed something to listen to records with at home, so I got an ancient Radio Shack 32-1200C. Trying to sell it as a "MP3" compact mixer to some unsuspecting soul!

Saving my pennies to buy a classic rotary mixer and cherry it for home use.

Last edited by djchris73 : 10-14-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:08 AM

Hey....

Started off with a Numark 2 channel (DM 1001?)..........sound was sooo harsh and mixer was so full of gimmicks and all for next to nothing moneywise.......which prob explains the sound quality.

Pioneer DJM 300.....loved this lil 'no frills' mixer and i actually liked the sound too.

Pioneer DJM 500 ....... hmm.....kinda liked it at first cause of all the effects but soon got bored of it. I sold it after 5 months.

UREI 1620 LE.........as mentioned needs no intro.......i absolutely love the feeling of it and sound is 'arguably' unsurpassed. This mixer was ALWAYS on the cards as i'd used an original Urei some years earlier at a friends in Chelsea NY.....and was overwhelmed.

Aside from the Urei's points i just love to mix it up on a rotary!

Last edited by Leeee : 10-14-2007 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:56 AM

Wooo (Heads down memory lane)

First mixer I had was a

KAM-Moblie Pro
All I can remember about this is the very bad build quality and the fact if you went 1db above 0 it distorted rather badly. Faders sucked although sound quality wasn’t the worst.
Sold it one year later and got a set of Numark tables and this next mixer..

Numark DM-3000X

Very smooth faders witch I loved, at the time, sound was ok as was the build when new. Had it for roughly for 4 years! Within that time the build showed it’s true colours through normal use! Up faders bleed and crackle, mixer develops buzz, internal ground wire becomes lose and causes even more buzzing, psu loosens internally causing even more buzzing, fader curve sucked from the word go! EQ’s sucked big donkey balls.

Pioneer DJM-300S

I loved this mixer! Great build, good faders with a nice curve, nice eq, nice sounding. I can’t say one bad thing about this mixer. Had if for slightly less than one year.

Formula Sound FSM-600

I have posted some things on this board about it so read that. In short though…Worst mixer I ever owned! I hated it. Sounded truly awful, headphone out distorted, eq’s sucked, faders felt cheap n’ loose and the curve on the up faders was worse than my Numark!
Even though the quality of components used and build was good the whole thing felt very flimsy and cheap. Had it few months, sold it on ebay to someone on here from Germany which I felt really bad about although they read what I thought about it before they brought it.

Denon DN-X500

Fantastic mixer, I loved it! Very clean sounding if that’s your bag.
Although I have to say I don’t have much faith in the “New” Denon build quality, there were some small minor things that annoyed me about it. Like the use of cheap pots on the EQ’s that crackle from new and the fact that the power regulators bolted to the case could heat the whole room otherwise it was great. Eq’s a little shitty sounding though with no finesse/bit harsh, good up fader curve, solid build, headphone output scared me as it was rather low. Sound had no character.

Allen & Heath Xone 3D

I hated this mixer at first but………..
After a week of owning it I couldn’t stop mixing on it! Lovely velvet eq that was really nice to use on vinyl, great sound and contrary to what many say the sound had character, I called it liquid sounding as in it just flowed out of the speakers so clear but bass was unlike anything I have ever heard! Still is, my urei doesn’t do the same.
Something I really liked bout it even though I could slate everything about layout etc..
Up fader curve was the best I have experienced on a linear fader mixer and would match it to mixing on my Urei! Mixes just flowed into each other.

Urei 1620LE

You all know I love my Urei and that it’s not going anywhere! Mixes just melt into each other with this lol. I still have strange dreams about the A&H though, something about that sound, through my system it sounded very strong not that the Urei doesn’t.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Senior Citizen

I started out with a mixer marketed under the name of Bigroup. It was also available under the Soundlab and the Phonic name. It had 1 mic channe, 2 phono channels and 1 line input. It also sported old shool needle type meters. It was a very basic mixer, but enough for me to get started on. I don't have any good close up pic of the mixer, but here's me working it in '87

Next purchase was a Phonic MRT70 in '88. It was a pretty solidly built mixer, but the faders where more than stiff and the sound quality was pretty bad.

After that I bought a Numark 1175 in '91, it was a pretty decent mixer actually. The only problem I really had with it was that the headphone out distorted rather easily, so you needed to have some high sensitivity headphones to get enough volume out of it.

Next up was a Numark DM 1100X in '94. It was actually a lot worse mixer than the 1175, but it had per channel EQs, which was what I wanted at the time.

In '98 I got a Numark DM1720. This was not a bad mixer at all. I used it a lot, both at home and at my gigs. I later sold it to a friend who's still using it and it's still working just fine.

When getting my first job after college, I decided to shell out for a really good mixer, so I bought the first edition of the A&H Xone 62 in '01. This has been an awesome mixer and it's still doing duty in the home studio and at the Saturday night residency me and my wife has.

During the last few years I've also aquired two Formula Sound mixers, one System 2000 and one PM90. Both these were bought used for around €400 each. The system 2000 I had to replace all the pots on, since they had worn out and I also replaced the channel faders and put in some Alps K faders. The PM90 was in almost mint condition, except for two EQ pots that had broken during shipping. Most PM90s you see for sale have carbon pots, that tend to wear out afte a while. Min has Bourns conductive plastic pots, which have a very different feel to them when in use and I don't see any need to have to replace them in a long while.

Here's a pic with the Xone mounted for mixing duty and the FS-s in the foreground.

/Daniel
Old 10-14-2007, 09:45 AM

First was one of these:

Then came one of these (for a long time):

Then when the Numark died, there was a cheap Gemini for about three months, and then a Vestax 05Pro (mk I) for several years, and now an Ecler Nuo3.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 10-14-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
Wooo (Heads down memory lane)

Urei 1620LE

You all know I love my Urei and that it’s not going anywhere! Mixes just melt into each other with this lol. I still have strange dreams about the A&H though, something about that sound, through my system it sounded very strong not that the Urei doesn’t.

Aah nice......looks like you got the silver capped LE too....not that its any different but i seen some about with pretty nasty gold coloured caps. Personal preference tho not treading on anyones eggs.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeee
Aah nice......looks like you got the silver capped LE too....not that its any different but i seen some about with pretty nasty gold coloured caps. Personal preference tho not treading on anyones eggs.

That's not my actual Urei there, got that pic from Google, I think that's just the lighting/camera/lens used there that makes the knobs look less gold. Also I didn't know that there were silver caped LE's out there Personally I also prefer the silver caps although IMO the original Urei is the best looking out the lot.

This is my Urei

Oh and these go nicely with the Urei too, the NightClub E's sounded good on the A&H and Pioneer but nasty on the Urei and most Hi-Fi pre-amps. These are just amazing needles though

The Old Numark Setup
(Old House)

New place where I'm at now

The needles were Stanton 680EL's on there
Old 10-14-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that there were silver caped LE's out there Personally I also prefer the silver caps although IMO the original Urei is the best looking out the lot.

Well u got me all confused now too lol..i'd say they were silver but they could be gold?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Urei 1620LE

Ill tell you what I love about the Urei: Virtually nothing wasted on it. No per-channhel sends/ eqs, no per-channel gains, no per-channel meters or BPM counters etc. What youve got is what you need. The only thing id remove from it is the balances per channel (poss move to the master) and maybe remove the master gain.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_traic
Ill tell you what I love about the Urei: Virtually nothing wasted on it. No per-channhel sends/ eqs, no per-channel gains, no per-channel meters or BPM counters etc. What youve got is what you need. The only thing id remove from it is the balances per channel (poss move to the master) and maybe remove the master gain.

Personally I like it how it is design wise; I like the per-channel balance for when mixing with vinyl, the master gain is ok just as long as you know the limits of your stuff and don’t overdrive your amps.
I would have liked an FX loop by-pass switch on the front panel but this can be done as a mod by many people on here (On the original 1620 anyway).
Sound wise I want to upgrade the phono cards later this month when I get paid and when Clubman5 mod’s his LE I would be interested in him doing mine. It’s not that I don’t like the sound of it I just think it has a lot more potential to make it even better.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:41 PM

Seeing as we are on the subject of mixers I dug out an old mix I did on the Numark stuff (Only one that survives/have I think now), that stuff brought a tear to my eye lol..so many memories; records friends and places. My childhood years.
So I uploaded it if anyone wants a listen, ahhh the days before programs like mixed in key and all that rubbish.
The mix is a mixture of deep/progy house from the like of Nick Holder, Royksop and Hipp-E. I think I recorded it in 2002 or 03 I was about 16
Style of mixing> Short, sweet & precise

(Unlike most mixes this one has track marks and all tracks are named!)

http://rapidshare.com/files/62564432/My_old_Mix.zip

(Fixed link, originally posted wrong link lol)

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 10-14-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:21 PM

This is one of the coolest threads I've seen, wonderful old pics and I hadn't seen some of these mixers before.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:23 PM

Mine in some sort of order:

1. KAM GMX-25? "Made2Fade" 2ch. mixer in 1996 - bad in all terms

2. Pioneer DJM-300, 1998 - liked it at the time

3. Behringer DX-1000 1999 - not the typical bad B.-quality unit, used the mic preamp to distort my TB-303 at the time

4. Formula Sound PM-90, 2001-2007 - best sound quality so far

5. Gemini Techno Master PMX-25(?), 2004 - bad mixer in terms of sound and quality, good for quick mixing

6. Cloud Discomaster 600, 2004 - Bad in all terms

7. Urei 1620LE, 2006 - I like it! (I have it at home with Vestax Iso and Tech 1200's)

8. Gemini Trickmaster, 2006 - used it for split cue with LE, couldn't even do that well. Someone on this board appraised this unit. Seriously?

9. Vestax PMC-17A, 2008 - cheap mixer between my CDJ-800 MKII's (current gear at dorm)
Old 11-07-2008, 05:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
My first Mixer i made it, in a Shoe box, buying one of those Kits" do it yourself, I Use to walkmans,, and a Boombox for recordings,

The next was a Realistic Mixer, in 1986 (same as Jeff)

In 1988 I buy a Pyramid mixer

1989 I Buy the UREI 1620 stolen in 2006

Actually i have a Xone 92 Mixer

I have worked with many mixers in clubs ranes, numarks, Ecler, pioneer, gemini, etc, I must say that The mixer i used often in clubs has been Urei and rane rotary,
Old 11-07-2008, 07:33 PM

1) ~2000 Vestax PMC 03A - Sold for like $20
2) ~2003 Cheap Behringer mixer - sold for $5 on Craigslist
3) ~2004 Rane MP44 - sold soon after
4) ~2004 Rane Empath sold in early 2008
5) ~2006 LATec 160S rotary mixer - still have it
6) 1/08 Bozak CMA 10 2DL converted to DLA by Gary Stewart BITD - Still have it
7) 6/2008 Vestax PMC 170A bought to flip sold for $150
8 7/2008 Gemini El Cheapo - Gave it to my brother
9) 9/2008 Bozak 10 2DL - still have it

Last edited by Mr ZDUR : 11-08-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:48 AM

1) ~1995 Eclerc Mix 3-2
2) ~2003 Rane MP 2016 + XP 2016 - sold
3) 1/2005 Bozak CMA-10-2DLA - sold
4) 3/2006 E&S DJR400 - still have it
5) 6/2006 Urei 1620 - still have it
6) 2/2007 Bozak CMA-10-2DLA converted to DLO by DJ Mario G - sold
7) 5/2007 A&H Xone V6 - still have it
8) 9/2007 Urei 1620 - sold
9) 8/2008 Bozak CMA 10 2DLC - still have it
10) 11/2008 Rane MP 2016 - still have it

Jeremy
Old 11-08-2008, 11:25 AM

'90 Peavey 502, traded for
'91 Peavey 902, sold in '95
'98 Peavey 902, sold
'99 Peavey 502, trashed
'02 Pioneer DJM-300, sold
'02 Pioneer DJM-3000, traded for
'04 Pioneer DJM-600, sold
'04 Rane Empath
'07 Rane MP24 for memories, sold
'07 Peavey 502 for memories, sold
Old 11-08-2008, 02:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
They are gold.. the only silver knobs are after market for the LE. But if you play with it enough the gold colouring does start to fade to a more silverish finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeee

Well u got me all confused now too lol..i'd say they were silver but they could be gold?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:18 PM

Champagne! Case closed?

"Gold" does fade to silver over time on LEs.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:30 AM

1. Behringer DJX-700

was cheap, and great to start learning...used it for half a year and then one channel fucked up...traded it in the store for a

2. gemini umx se

great mixer...i sold it to afford buying my newest mixer...
i really liked it..after a while i got bored with the effects-section of the behringer...3way-eq...3 channels....cue-mix...it had everything i needed
and it did not sound that bad at all...it was a quality mixer for his money...
180 euros

3. Stanton RM-80

bought it for 75$ from the states, had it shipped over to germany...after all i payed 120 euro for it...linear faders were converted to rotary knobs

i really hate the fader curve (gets pretty loud in the last few millimeters) but i got used to it...sound quality is okay for home use, i had it in the club and the sound wasn't that bad...but it was a crappy system there anyway

i'm saving up for a E&S DJR 400

X. i dont really use it, but i found this one in a basement, and i cleaned it and it worked again...my Ecler Mac 6-2E
http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=251tj0.jpg

great sound quality!!! i was really amazed..this mixer was used in a students-club and got really beaten over the years..coke and beer has been spilled into the mixer and what not...i only opened the mixer-case and got rid of the obvious dirt in there...plugged it in, and it really blew me away...

outstanding sound...compared to the other mixers i had before...(i don't even wanna think about hooking a DJR into my setup here)
Old 11-09-2008, 06:07 AM

first mixer was borrowed numark no idea what model it had no working headphone output and only the cross fader really worked on it

then i had a radio shack mixer it was 4 channel no eq

then a gemini pmx 2000 19''

then a bunch of radio shack mixers of various incarnations(at least 10)

gemini 626

gemini trickmaster 7'' mixer

gemini scratch master 10'' mixer

pioneer djm 600

numark blue dog(favorite mixer but was stolen at a rave)

peavey 502

current mixer is a four channel nexxtech modded with rotary pots

peas
Old 11-09-2008, 06:14 AM

i want one of these