Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2003, 06:59 PM

BozakQs

Well I took MarioGs advice and hooked up my parts Bozak mixer just for the hell of it..As ugly as it looks everything works! Except for one eq board because its a bad one I swapped out of my other bozak which is why I bought the parts one in the first place.

Now my question is,..I really did some critical listening to my Bozak and noticed I can tell the difference bewtween the eq modules,,my original sounds like the high eq and low eq have different center frequencies than the eq board I swapped from the parts unit..Are they different?

Two I noticed my Bozak has much bigger heatsinks yet a smaller transfrormer than my parts unit..Which is better?

My Bozak originally had the dual round ganged pots though I have since changed them to the square alps,the parts unit looks to have come originally with the sqaure alps ones though they are pretty much worn out now.

They both the same model number and both are black
CMA-10 2DL

I took pictures of the insides of both ,Ill post them up tommorow.

Lastly,Mario if you are reading this you should have recieved the mixer today,let me know what the deal is as soon as you have time. As soon as thats done I will ship you the spare Bozak one for a Mario makeover. I hate not having the booth output even if only temporarily!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:16 PM

eq boards

to the best of my knowledge all the boards had the same center frequency from factory! Unless someone changed them or ordered a Bozak with specific frequencys!

Another reason they may sound different is in fact the tone control pots! They do wear out, and when they do they dont sound as strong! this may be what your hearing.

All the Bozaks Ive ever come across have that big black transformer hanging off the back! I have never seen a SMALLER transformer!

Are you sure your BOZAK wasnt cannabalized before you got it?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:53 PM

formers

Ok,Maybe I was exxagerating a bit on the formers,they are not identical would be a closer term,,,one looks just slightly smaller or has a slightly smaller casing..When I post the pics you can see..The internal ps heat sinks though are disticntly different..
As for the eqs you may be right..To my ear it sounds like one is centered 80hz and 10k while the other side "sounds" 100hz and 8k..But again this could be a loudness/power difference and not an actual eq difference..I looked at both boards and the compenents look the same.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:55 AM

BOZAK MIXER TRANSFORMERS

Frank, Scotty

The Bozak mixer the later production models G series serial # (late run) used a smaller transformer. This transformer was capable to be used 110 v or 220 v & will not change the performance of the mixer. The alp pots in this mixer also indicate the later run. Regarding the diff. in sound it could be possible. Frank call me I could explain.

Mario G
Old 02-13-2003, 01:54 PM

ALPS vs AB pots

Yes the Alps sound different than the AB,s! But in the tone control circuit if all the components look the same the difference hes hearing is worn pots! When the carbon is worn it doesnt sound as strong, hence the feeling that the tone control has a different center frequency!

When I have changed worn pots for BRAND NEW it makes a HELL of a difference!
Old 02-13-2003, 02:56 PM

pots

Mario called me and explained most of it to me,since I have a spare Bozak I can just swap out the other eq control if thats the problem,he also told me to also check by swapping the actual eq cards.
I didnt actually make sure if the actual pots in the eq control were the same when I first swapped it.
Its not a huge deal to me,When I eq its only to match up songs so its usually very subtle.My mixes are usually long and smooth beat mixes,I dont do cuts or scratches or fancy stuff,and the songs match each other in tempo,key and frequency for the most part when I play a set so The most youll ever see me move the eq knobs is maybe 1/4 either way(no eq freq kills for me thanks ) ..Thats why I hadnt noticed the difference before. But since i heard it now I was just curious.

Talking about new pots I almost tore my hair out when I changed my channels and mains to alps, hadnt soldered that much in a while..Was worth it though as the originals were toast.Think I will let Mario do my other one though,,hehe,,
Old 02-13-2003, 04:16 PM

We have another converted soul here!!!!

Welcome to the madness that is audio!
They say it wont make a difference, but your ears tell you otherwise!
Glad to hear its working out for you!
Im building an anechoic RUBBER ROOM for recovering audio addicts!!! LOL!