Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 AM

My Bozak mixers were purchased from the studio that went to the A/H mixer. Both Bozaks from time were not in the best audio output condition. 1 of the units had channel cross talk and one had some output hum. They were both referb and came back to me in perfect sound quality. All cross talk was gone and they are both quiet as I stated. I was informed by the person who referb them that they were made to last but some major parts do sag after years of use. Your friend with the DLC may have other issues in his mixer because the DLC mixer was built from several modified units I was told. Many times audio cards are mismatced from other mixers and even though you have a newer rebuild problems could have been built in it. Also the Bozaks with the extra gain output could have noise if the front end that has to be corrected to match the output. All this info came to me from the rebuilder.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevie
When you listen through the cans does the hiss appear when you switch from cue to pgm ?

Yeah, its still there!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 PM

I have managed to calm down the hiss by buying a nice PS Audio powerline conditioner. It's not completely gone, but it's a marked improvement.
Next I want to get the power supply taken out of the Urei and use an external one if possible, but not sure how that will work out yet.

I do still get that nasty hiss in the headphones with a faint radio signal which I'd love to get rid of.

The Urei is by far the better mixer in my system and I've tried the E&S DJR 400, Bozak, GLI 5991 & Formula Sound FF-6000.

With all the Urei 1620's hiss and RFI's etc the stereo image when in the sweet spot is magical. The Bozak is 2nd best for sure and the only reason it's not 1st is because I prefer the sound of the Urei.

Schorn.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHORN
I do still get that nasty hiss in the headphones with a faint radio signal which I'd love to get rid of.

Schorn.

when i went to a multi-amped system, i got a very loud radio station through the speaker cables i was using...

switched to a shielded network of cables and all has been well since...
Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoin
Yeah, its still there!

My mate has an le and his is exactly the same When he switches from cue to pgm the hiss goes louder. Really weird, as mine does not hiss at all.
I would try al the suggestions about shielded cables moving away from any possible sources of interference etc.. Or maybe its just an inherent fault in some units. Bloody annoying !
Old 02-25-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
My mate has an le and his is exactly the same When he switches from cue to pgm the hiss goes louder. Really weird, as mine does not hiss at all.
I would try al the suggestions about shielded cables moving away from any possible sources of interference etc.. Or maybe its just an inherent fault in some units. Bloody annoying !

Thats good to hear, not that your mates hisses obviously, but that at least I'm not the only one!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I have managed to calm down the hiss by buying a nice PS Audio powerline conditioner. It's not completely gone, but it's a marked improvement.
Next I want to get the power supply taken out of the Urei and use an external one if possible, but not sure how that will work out yet.

The Urei is by far the better mixer in my system and I've tried the E&S DJR 400, Bozak, GLI 5991 & Formula Sound FF-6000.

With all the Urei 1620's hiss and RFI's etc the stereo image when in the sweet spot is magical. The Bozak is 2nd best for sure and the only reason it's not 1st is because I prefer the sound of the Urei.

Schorn.

Is that an original UREI or an LE Schorn??
Old 02-25-2009, 05:33 PM

if a powerline conditioner calms the issue down, does that indicate dirty power source?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:03 PM

Eoin: It's an original Urei 1620, not LE......sorry forgot to specify.

Mistick Krewe: Yeah I'd say that the power coming out of the wall has could be a lot cleaner and the powerline conditioner deffo does it's job and cleans it and lowers the noise floor.

When I got the Class A amp was when I could really hear the noise in mixer etc. The Klipschorns I have are super efficient and magnify the problem much more than if I had a normal amp and speakers.

It's good to tinker around with all this stuff and solve issues as they arise.

Schorn.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Is that an original UREI or an LE Schorn??

Don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same to an le.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same to an le.

What exactly is the PS Audio powerline conditioner??

What does it do?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
What exactly is the PS Audio powerline conditioner??

What does it do?

I think that question is about to start a rather vigorous debate.
It is used to 'clean up " the A.C. supply.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I think that question is about to start a rather vigorous debate.
It is used to 'clean up " the A.C. supply.

I see. Interesting.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 PM

This is the Power conditioner I bought for my system, it cost me $700.

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...power-classics

I'm can only report what i found works for me, so please don't take it as gospel. I've suffered from bad power in all the apartments I've lived in over the years and this seems to have cured most of the issues I'd had with

I used to have a cheaper power conditioner years ago, but it wasn't close to being as good as the PS Audio PD 4.7. That machine would still give a hum and hiss and I thought it would never go away.

Bad power is a serious issue for us and would be best to run the whole system off car batteries, or similar so you're not dealing with spikes, surges and noise in the A/C power.

I'm no expert on any of this stuff, just trying to achieve a quiet system to play my records on

Schorn.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
would be best to run the whole system off car batteries, or similar so you're not dealing with spikes, surges and noise in the A/C power.

Schorn.
i've read of some 'audiophile' type folks that swear by this...
Old 02-26-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
This is the Power conditioner I bought for my system, it cost me $700.

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...power-classics

I'm can only report what i found works for me, so please don't take it as gospel. I've suffered from bad power in all the apartments I've lived in over the years and this seems to have cured most of the issues I'd had with

I used to have a cheaper power conditioner years ago, but it wasn't close to being as good as the PS Audio PD 4.7. That machine would still give a hum and hiss and I thought it would never go away.

Bad power is a serious issue for us and would be best to run the whole system off car batteries, or similar so you're not dealing with spikes, surges and noise in the A/C power.

I'm no expert on any of this stuff, just trying to achieve a quiet system to play my records on

Schorn.

700 dollars!! I could probably buy a new mixer for that!!!

Thanks anyway Schorn. From the sound of things this is just a problem in some LEs. I might ask the sound engineer in the club I play at what he thinks at the weekend. He might have some some ideas.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 PM

Yeah and especially if you have really efficient system where the amp etc don't take much power, so you can run on them for a while before recharging the batteries. How great that would be, complete silence!!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
700 dollars!! I could probably buy a new mixer for that!!!

Thanks anyway Schorn. From the sound of things this is just a problem in some LEs. I might ask the sound engineer in the club I play at what he thinks at the weekend. He might have some some ideas.

Yeah it's expensive, but it cost $1999 new, i wouldn't have paid that for it, EVER!

I think you should look at getting the power supply removed from the LE and put in a separate box away from the mixer. Then you can run a regular power cable from the mixer to the separate power supply, and then another power cable from the power supply to the power outlet in the wall.

I'm going to do this next, so i'll let you guys know how that works out.

Cheers

Schorn.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah it's expensive, but it cost $1999 new, i wouldn't have paid that for it, EVER!

I think you should look at getting the power supply removed from the LE and put in a separate box away from the mixer. Then you can run a regular power cable from the mixer to the separate power supply, and then another power cable from the power supply to the power outlet in the wall.

I'm going to do this next, so i'll let you guys know how that works out.

Cheers

Schorn.

That would be cool Schorn! I'd be interested to hear if that improves things.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainjr
My Bozak mixers were purchased from the studio that went to the A/H mixer. Both Bozaks from time were not in the best audio output condition. 1 of the units had channel cross talk and one had some output hum. They were both referb and came back to me in perfect sound quality. All cross talk was gone and they are both quiet as I stated. I was informed by the person who referb them that they were made to last but some major parts do sag after years of use. Your friend with the DLC may have other issues in his mixer because the DLC mixer was built from several modified units I was told. Many times audio cards are mismatced from other mixers and even though you have a newer rebuild problems could have been built in it. Also the Bozaks with the extra gain output could have noise if the front end that has to be corrected to match the output. All this info came to me from the rebuilder.
i can tell you right now that xone 92 is noisy, its more noisy than a bozak thats for sure
Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truba
i can tell you right now that xone 92 is noisy, its more noisy than a bozak thats for sure

The Xone92 noisy? I can't say the same about my 92.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolk151
The Xone92 noisy? I can't say the same about my 92.
xone as a mixer is not noisy, neither is my bozak but when you turn everything on you can hear lfo clicking without any fader channels up or even any master knob being turned up, i can also hear noise every time i push a fader up, on minimal volume its not that noticable but if you run it a bit louder you can hear it easy.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 AM

Truba, Again you are correct because the Bozaks use a 4-5 second delay of the unit before it makes the output jacks hot. During that start up period the outputs are directed to ground so the Bozak can not insert any noise what so ever at turn on. I do not know if any other mixers do this. Keep in mind the power supply on the Bozak was design when slower starting units with tubes were in use.