Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 02:26 PM

disco records vs house records

I slapped on my disco records and noticed that they sound 100 times better and clearer then my house records which sound good and i can hear the low ends output from my speakers. I have a 1620, and somewhere one here i saw that the Operational Amp chips are the reason behind the sound of particular music. Could this be why?

thanks
Old 05-22-2011, 03:14 PM

mastering?
house records are often over-compressed and "super-maximized." this results in distortion. disco music was made in the analog domain which is usually better (more forgiving) when it comes to distortion. analog distortion may actually sound good. on the other hand, brick-wall limiting and trying to push the most SPL from digital mastering can sound nasty in the wrong hands. most modern house music was mastered to D.A.T tapes and more recently directly on D.A.W.s. disco was mastered unto 2 inch reel-to-reel tapes.

did you try to A/B re-mastered disco songs (CDs) and original vinyl?
the re-mastered songs will have higher SPL (perceived) which may sound better... but is it really?
Old 05-22-2011, 05:02 PM

nothing was said about the age of the house music, so any arguments for or against digital are premature.

Disco producers probably had bigger budgets, meaning potentially better muscians, engineers, and equipment. As cassettes and cds were not around yet, disco probably had hte luxury of better bulk pricing when it comes to pressing material and mastering.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der geile ami
nothing was said about the age of the house music, so any arguments for or against digital are premature.

Disco producers probably had bigger budgets, meaning potentially better muscians, engineers, and equipment. As cassettes and cds were not around yet, disco probably had hte luxury of better bulk pricing when it comes to pressing material and mastering.

i am going to repeat...

did you try to A/B re-mastered disco songs (CDs) and original vinyl?
the re-mastered songs will have higher SPL (perceived) which may sound better... but is it really?

almost all modern music produced (especially in the digital realm) is way "hot." which means it is overly compressed/limited/saturated and "pumped" for radio play. music produced in the analog realm is often more "airy." this may mean better for your ears or not. unfortunately, most people perceive louder music as better sounding. this argument is even stronger when it comes to house/techno music where the bass kick is the major driving force in the track.

engineers want to squeeze every last frequency out of track by using plug-ins, etc...
Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM

which modern house records are produced for the radio?

regardless how squashed a digital file might be, cutting vinyl is a totally different process than burning a cd. There is a limit to how deep the grooves can be cut.

the original post was talking about records, not cds. What do plugins have to do with the perceived volume of 35 year old pieces of vinyl?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:49 PM

both you guys have valueable points, but i am more concerned as to the components in my mixer that gives disco the sound that it should give and so forth.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:07 PM

I think it's (that "classic" sound) is a combination of the op amps & resistors (to a lesser extent maybe caps and other components) and the circuit layout....
Old 05-23-2011, 04:24 PM

hear differences when using another kind of mixer?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der geile ami
hear differences when using another kind of mixer?

have not tried too yet, but i will
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 PM

Errrm two totally different types of music and eras..You mixer I doubt has anything to do with the differences you are hearing if anything I hate the Urei on stuff other than house as I find the way it distorts the sound hard on my ears.
I would love to sell it but I like the way it mixes, had enough of it.. Sounds like a bag of ol' rusty nails on my Naim speakers where's a good pre-amp and turntable sound sooo lush, wish I had the space for it all!

One was done in big studios with real gear and musucians

The other by a 17yr old kid with a 12 bit sampler, a crappy record deck with a stack of vinyl and Atari computer/MPC if we are talking early 90's house.. Throw in a cassette deck some where in there too...

DJ Sneak's first 30 releases were done just using a Roland TR-909 and Akai S-950....909 would sequence the 950 and everything was done on the fly

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 05-23-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM

of course-vinyl junkie has done it again

disco records sound better through the urei, then house IMO, house sounds good too, dont get me wrong but my ears were happy when i played the records on sunday, idk, if ya'll want to stop commenting on this, then thats the end of it!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 PM

I was playing John Martyn's Solid Air album the other day... That was recorded in 1972, I got it on vinyl and CD.

The wax allthough is a good pressing sounds pretty terrible through the 1620 imo.. Lots of dynamic material and quiet passages, bog standard SL-1210 meh

The CD sounds AMAZING, honestly..by-pass the 1620 and go straight into my amp and wow.
The only way I could match or better that performance is using my friends Rega P25 turntable with a Dynavector cart and a good phono pre...that option costs too much money and I don't have room for another turntable ;-)
The 1620 I use to mix Disco and House though as that music isn't as demanding, Urei for mixing too... got to love it ;-)
Old 05-24-2011, 05:22 AM

But there is a big difference between the 1620 and the 1620LE.