Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 AM

removing Twilo's system video

stumbled upon this on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCUdC...eature=related
Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 AM

i always thought shelter bought that system.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
It was there at some point. I played on it at Shelter (& at Twilo) and it was the same system. Not sure if it moved somewhere else first or timeline, but you're right, definitely was there at some point...
Old 09-24-2011, 07:36 PM

shelter got the stacks minus subs, 2k lounge tops, monitors, processing, and amps.

circuit got the subs and array ( each 4x jbl array 4894, previously in sound factory bar) hangs

roxy got the side fills (3 way hornloaded box, likely has history from before twilo)

funny to hear some familiar voices and see familiar faces in the video). The guy explaining box transport opened a place in dumbo, but i have no idea what came of it.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:31 PM

Well unless perhaps they built new Berthas, Shelter had the same stacks. I remember it quite vividly as everyone commented on how they were too big for that smaller upper floor. Also there was a Dash console in there loaded with PDS crossover, 5-way and 3-way. Again, maybe it wasn't Twilo's, but it was the same stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by der geile ami
shelter got the stacks minus subs, 2k lounge tops, monitors, processing, and amps.

circuit got the subs and array ( each 4x jbl array 4894, previously in sound factory bar) hangs

roxy got the side fills (3 way hornloaded box, likely has history from before twilo)

funny to hear some familiar voices and see familiar faces in the video). The guy explaining box transport opened a place in dumbo, but i have no idea what came of it.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:29 AM

new berthas were built for shelter, and macrotech 5000s were purchased for the subs, replacing the 3600s used in twilo. I cant remember where every amp went, lol. it is possible that the twilo booth electronics were split up or even that shelter received new units. There were 6 3band xovers and 3 5 band eqs installed at twilo. Shelter might have had just 4 berthas with extensions, and emeralds placed mid length.

Getting the subs into shelter was tricky. Very thankfully, the building had an elevator (unlike roxy, ugggggggggggggh), but the extensions had to be brought up through the stairs.

Whereas the ceiling height at twilo was something like 16 ft, shelters was only 10 or so. The tweeter living at the top of the stack at twilo needed an additional mounting enclosure. I cant remember if it was mounted to the side of the stack or symmetrically between the mid and high horns. Brian Wilson did all of the wood work, including console extensions for cdjs, but the berthas were built by some shop in south jersey.

The room was certainly awkward for that system. I imagine the price was right and owning the rig out of twilo would have been a potential marketing point for shelter. Whereas twilo had a nice square dancefloor, shelter was long and narrow. Not that twilo had any acoustic treatment, but the sound from the mid and hf horns effectively smeared itself reflecting off the ceiling and rejoining the direct sound as there was no room for hung absorber panels. My understanding is that shelter installed wall absorbers at some point, which would help with flutter echo.

Another awkward issue for shelter, is that placement of the dj booth was such that the nearest stacks actually needed in-fills due to walls or whatever prohibits a symmetric layout of stacks near the booth. Walls for stairs and whatnot intruded into the dancefloor as well.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:22 PM

I don't know who actually set it up, but it was universally regarded as a poor sounding room with the Twilo stacks. Everyone was expecting "Twilo" at Shelter but it never sounded right. Most likely why it was so short lived. After that, I'm not sure what happened to the system...
Old 09-26-2011, 06:32 AM

I built it up with Wilson, and dash did the tuning. Yes, it was a long shoe box - not an ideal room, but the customer is always right and the shelter was open for a few years. George would know better what happened after 2003, but the system was brought to greenhouse when shelter moved.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:56 AM

i heard the "twilo" system at both new shelter locations. first one was horrible sounding and very over-driven by timmy. the one at the last one (greenhouse) lacked deep bass (no extensions) and was a bit harsh. they tried to squeeze a huge system into rather small or awkward dance floors. they both lacked the "thunder" compared to the original twilo system. the new system at greenhouse is the worse (eaw i think).
Old 09-26-2011, 01:00 PM

Well I agree with you there Mario. I lost track of the system after Shelter "1".

Just so I understand, the current Greenhouse club has the old Twilo system now? Or that was replaced with an EAW system.. I've never been in Greenhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg75
i heard the "twilo" system at both new shelter locations. first one was horrible sounding and very over-driven by timmy. the one at the last one (greenhouse) lacked deep bass (no extensions) and was a bit harsh. they tried to squeeze a huge system into rather small or awkward dance floors. they both lacked the "thunder" compared to the original twilo system. the new system at greenhouse is the worse (eaw i think).