Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 02:05 AM

Got Tubes?

I used to have a tube setup many years ago. I had McIntosh MC30s and Stephens TruSonic 15" Multicell Co-Axials. I have regretted it for years because that stuff sounded amazing and it has all appreciated way beyond my means. After many years of switching to an accurate set-up with a Bryston 3B and Kef speakers, I have finally filled my environment with the sound I loved back 10 years ago. I got a pair of Klipsch LaScalas and a bunch of low wattage tube amps and the sound is dyamic and powerful. The difference is that I listen to better music now and have better sources. I am running the LaScalas off a pair of 14 watt heathkit amps and they pump just as hard as the 150 WPC Bryston. Now I have 4 tube amps. Any of you running tubes?

Last edited by Mr ZDUR : 08-11-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
let us know when you want to donate one of those toys, !!

great set
Old 08-11-2008, 12:24 PM

MC-30's? Cheers!

I got my Mac monoblocks this spring (birthday present to myself). I'm running them with a Sony SACD player, McIntosh C-20 preamp and a pair of Tannoy 12" dual concentrics, and couldn't be happier with the sound. One day I'd like to upgrade to the 15" Monitor Golds, but with apartment living being what it is, my current setup is pushing it.

Got a chance to hear some Steve Hoffman-mastered Nat King Cole this weekend, and it was truly eerie. Music recorded more than 50 years ago with the "breath of life". Even my wife, who when I told her I was getting the MC30s, responded with: "great, more junk" had to admit that they sound great!

I've been on the tube path for almost 5 years now, started out with a Dynaco ST-70 (great intro to tubes, IMHO) and then got a Fisher X-202 a couple of years ago, on the way to my current setup (I'd still like to hear a MC-240 in action). I fully expect that these amps to be part of my Estate, I cannot see myself getting rid of them anytime soon. As soon as I get home, I just want to plunk down in the sweet spot and listen for hours...
Old 08-11-2008, 12:42 PM

i use some old tube amps off and on,

a dynakit ST-70, some heathkits, some motorolas salvaged from consoles...
mostly EL34 or 84 and some 6V6 based stuff

i am learning how to strip them down, removing tome control circuits and re-build them back up as straight up power amps...

i'm also looking into a design for some OTL designs for some parts i have managed to accumulate

pretty neat stuff... but be careful if you decide to play...

there's stuff floating around that is actually not really well grounded due to design limitations...

pretty neat, but scary sometimes if you think about it....

talk about voltage...

Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 PM

I've always wanted to build a set of La Scalas. I first heard them in my local record shop (they had a pair of PA versions) and the first thing that I noticed was the dynamics and the attack they had.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2house
I've always wanted to build a set of La Scalas. I first heard them in my local record shop (they had a pair of PA versions) and the first thing that I noticed was the dynamics and the attack they had.

Play de Record?

I like La Scalas, but no room for them!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:52 PM

Nice set up!!!!

It's so nice to see a pair of La Scala's on here

I had a pair of La Scala's too for a while which I loved!!!

I ended up selling them and getting a pair of Belle, which i just sold to make space as I some Klipschorns as well.

Klipsch with tubes, or solid state is always a winner and each offer one thing the other can't.

Are those amps in the middle Scott 299's?

Klipsch Heritage are just butter!!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookysooky
Play de Record?

I like La Scalas, but no room for them!

Yes it was Play De Record... Unfortunately they put some DYI speakers in there place... I never asked what they did with them. Perhaps one of the guys at the shop decided to take them home...

I don't go to Play De Record as I often use to (I used to walk over from U of T). One of the best (and now one of the only) records shops in T.O. A shame too because at one time within 10-15 mins of each other we had Eastern Bloc, Play De Record, Traxx, The Pit, and Release Records.

Along the theme of tube amps, my grandfather has an old console style sound system with a Dual TT, a Grundig Multiband Tuner, a Grundig Reel to Reel, and a tube amp. The amp is enclosed in the unit and I've only seen it once as a kid. It stopped working a while back, I never had a chance to check it out but I'm hoping its just the tubes that need to be replaced (as far as I know, they have never been changed). Perhaps a set of horns would be better then the built in speakers they are currently equiped with.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:14 PM

I too like to mess around with tube circuits. I used to modify and build tube guitar amps. One of the Scotts is a 222 and the other is a 299. I have a soft spot for EL84's, so the 222 does it for me, but I will need to recap it soon. EL84s are also in the Heathkits (which are modded).

The LaScalas are wonderful speakers. I put Bob Crites tweeters in them and re-did the X-Over with Sonicaps. It is amazing how huge and accurate they sound. I had Heresy's before these and they are no slouch either. I love the Klipsch sound, especially for soul, boogie, disco and jazz. They work quite well with minimal techno too!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 PM

Noticed the two Scott amps and guessed they were a 222C/D and 299. I've got the 222 output transformers sitting here. I built them into an amp using Tungsol 6550s in class A triode. Next, they're going to meet 2A3s. Nice stuff there, major envy of the LaScalas!

My home 'A' system is dedicated to mono LP playback, and all the music comes through a single 45 triode. Two watts does it huge.