Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2005, 10:19 AM

MK3D pitch wavering

hi,
ive had my mk3s for a few years now, i bought them new and just from playing out and on differant systems i feel like i am correcting my pitch alot more during blends on my tables, are there any known issues with the pitch on these units?

thanks,
j

Last edited by jah : 04-29-2005 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:38 AM

wavering

you need the tables serviced. The pitch needs a rebuilding (dont replace that alps fader) and the unit needs recalibrating.
I just serviced 2 MK3Ds that pitch was totally off. The guy took it to repair and they charged him 275 for both decks (replaced the transisitors and 2 IC's) and it was not fixed. See if you can find a local tech in your area. WHO WORKS ON TABLES ON A REGULAR BASIS. If not you can send them to me.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:02 PM

Alps That!

I just had a similar problem that i took care of a couple of years ago. Our old MKII was having the same issue. Luckily, i have moved to Seattle for grad school from Chicago & their is the Panasonics/Technics repair center here that services the U.S. market. I took it to them & they replaced the fader with the same Alps pitch control. It still has a warranty for the work they did and they also brought the unit to manufacturers specs. FInd out if Panasonic has a repair facility in your country. If not, find some cats who do Technics repair locally (make sure its good work too). Back home in Chicago there's a spot called Decibel Audio that did a Technics 1200 "spa service". For $45 they brought it to manufactures specs & repalced the RCA's with higher quality cables with gold connectors. See if you can get this done. Remember, stereo techs charge sometimes $80 and up so makes sure it gets done right! Hope this helps!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:51 AM

I would advice anyone who can wield a screw driver to save some cash and purchase a replacment fader. You can either just get the fader which will require some soldering or you can get the whole unit which is a few screws and a plug. You can purhase a multimeter for very little money these days and you can then adjust the unit to factory specs.

Like any open fader, after time an accumulation of dust, skin, cigarette ash(if you smoke), and other particles find their way into the housing. The wiper then has problems keeping in touch with the tracks which relates to erratic pitch control. Most of the time all that is needed is to clean the tracks and good blast of compressed air around the wiper to blow away the debris. Caig Products are a good solution for cleaning.
________
genetically modified food

Last edited by Richi : 02-02-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:54 AM

Jah.....are you in the UK? I believe there was a problem with all M3Ds in the UK and they are now discontinued. My friend has a pair and the pitch is waaaay off.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:03 PM

true but the VR302 may need adjusting.That is not done with a DMM. i dont think spending 19.95 for a new fader is required. I guess if the man can solder really would be the issue. Caig is nice but to truely take full advantage of that product. the pitch must be taken apart. He has to take the alps fader out anyway to put the new one in. (or a QUALIFIED TECH.)
I mean supposed the wipers are bent. I have yet to come across a slider that i had to actuaslly replace. unless the wipers are missing. that unit can be rebuild. I can adjust the "feel" of it to be super loose or high and tight.
IMO the deck needs servicing A recalibrating of ALL adjustment points.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:10 PM

another possible way to fix that(UK MK3D) is to disable the button lock. use a MK2 pitch board. then it will lock on the zero point regardless of that button. take the button circuit out and leave the switch. Some like this some dont. Personally i have never tested it myself. But the revisions of the MK3D Vs MKII are not all that great. Now the revision of the MK5GSE are a bit better. better tonearm wire and slightly better RCA outs. all and all the MMKII is still the best deck for the money....
Old 04-30-2005, 03:17 PM

wire

I wouldn't recommend changing the phono wire unless it is damaged. Both me and Shorty have reported that changing wires or changing length can change sound for the worse.

Phono levels of a few milivolt are are lot more sensitive to changes in cable to say a CD player (up to approx 1 volt) in my opinion.

Jah, please let us know how service goes or if these are considered a problem product. This gives the threads more of a concise nature for broad help/info for everyone.

Dave
Old 04-30-2005, 11:20 PM

hey guys thanks for the quick replys, i am all the way in australia, perth to be exact there is actually a panasonic service centre here but they charge heaps and im not really sure abou the quality of thier work....