Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2005, 03:18 PM

Question orgin live rega tonearms upgrades

Ok from what i gather to upgrade the technics 1200 i need the following

1 Rega RB250 or orgin live arm
2 orgin live technics 1200 adapter
3 internal rewire mod
4 slotted tonearm mod {optional(reguires internal rewire first)}
5.structral upgrade mod. (does this come with a counter weight?)
6 threaded VTA adjuster
7 stylus force gauge.

now if the udgraded arm comes with no weight. what is a recommended weight (J.A. Mitchell stub and weight?)

has anyone out there had the external rewire done?
Im guessing this bypasses the turntables internal RCA outputs. I can see where this could make a difference, but does it?
also does the external rewire kit get in the way for DJ applications? It looks like it could, but just want if anyone has tried it.
to the owners of the arms if there is anything i am missing please add.

cheers
jack
Old 04-06-2005, 03:43 PM

Hi Jack,

Speaking as an Origin agent who's sold quite a few Origin mods (I must've installed over a hundred arms on decks by now) I don't think I've ever seen them sell an arm minus counterweight (forgive me if I'm not following you here). Every time I order an arm, be it the basic OL1 for 124 rrp or the Silver @ 599 rrp it always comes with a weight!

The wire for the Origin / Rega / Michell / Naim / insert Rega-mount arm here comes out from the base of the arm, bypassing any Technics hardware. You have to cut a small hole in the rubber SL1200/10 base with a sharp craft-knife to accomodate the extra length of the Rega-type base, and the cable comes out from here.

To summarise - the Origin conversion does not get in the way of general DJ activities any more than the standard arm.

Although it's a basic procedure, I would suggest taking time out with a coffee to study the installation manual - the retrofit is easy, but a few minutes reading will ensure you get the whole deck back together in the right order etc without having to repeat the process.

BTW, I notice Origin are now selling the Isonoe Isolator Feet: http://www.isonoe.com Even if you don't listen at excessive volumes I think you'll find they make quite a surprising difference, I know I was surprised when I installed mine.

If you have any further Qs don't hesitate to ask. Note that some users have installed Michell and other Rega-types on the Origin board, although I would recommend the Origin for obvious reasons :-)

Cheers,
Justin
Old 04-06-2005, 03:52 PM

Just to clarify (forgive me if I'm misinterpreting your post Jack), Origin sell the upgrades as "one arm" i.e. the wire mods (ext and int) are installed by them.

You can specify the level of upgrade when you buy initially as one arm, or upgrade at a later date with a separate kit.

Origin won't send you separate packages for the upgrades if you specify them when you get the initial arm.

http://www.tonearm.co.uk/tonearm.htm

Cheers,
J
Old 04-07-2005, 02:33 PM

Hi Jack

The adaptor from Origin is a good start. You can pick up a standard RB-250 off e-bay if the budget is tight, but the Origin or mitchell arm is a huge improvement. Counterweights are supplied with these arms if bought from the distributor or manufacturer, although aftermarket counterweights are available from Michell Engineering, Express Audio etc.

I would also look at the Isonoe isolation feet as they offer a surpising increase in quality of sound.

Regards

S
Old 04-12-2005, 11:28 AM

Exclamation okok fine details

the mitchell techno arm is out the question, and so is the orgin live silver (i could buy a LOT of records with that money. So is the Origin live OL1 the same as the rega RB250? Or is the OL1 arm a wee bit different. As for the counter weights i like the mitchell balanace weight or at least the design of it. Is it a natural upgrade to what Origin Live places upon their arms? last but not least how user friendly replacable are the RCA cables?
(i think the walmart cheap cables are the best) may not sound the best, but they last far longer than the $$$ cables i have tried.
cheers jack
Old 04-12-2005, 02:12 PM

Quote:
So is the Origin live OL1 the same as the rega RB250

No. My memory is rubbish, so there might be other differences, but for starters the OL1 uses different bearings to the RB250, with a different ABEC spec.

Rega make OEM arms for what must be 20+ manufacturers - some of the arms are visually indiscernible from one another yet cost several times as much!

Although the OL Silver or Michell look different, much of the cost in the arm is dictated by the tolerances the parts are made to, bearing specs, internal wire etc etc. Arms are a field where the real cost often lies under the surface.

With regards to the cable - Origin sell kits (as you know) that are fairly priced IMHO (I'm not a cable nut btw - "quality" cable such as Van Damme / Klotz / Mogami etc is good enough for me). You could change the cable yourself, but it could get fiddly as you'll need a rubber stopper that accomodates your new cable precisely, and it's important you have a snug, tight fit. To summarise with the cable - replacing is "user friendly" in some eyes, but maybe not in others, it depends on your skills with a soldering iron and patience I guess.

Hope this helps!

Justin
Old 04-12-2005, 03:20 PM

clarity

the origin live has less good bearings than the rega arm.
regas arms are selected to a higher tolerance as you go up there range.
the ol1 is exactly the same as a rb-250 oem arm as supplied to nad , akai , michell , avid and numerous other companies.
michell are the only company who have a rega jig and have been trained by regas arm experts to load the bearings correctly.
origin live only do bearing mods on the silver upwards.
some people think the origin live is inferior to the michell or rega rb-600 (now rb 700 with new arm base and wiring and higher toleranced bearings.)
my view is that people slag off the rb 300 model which has the spring loaded downforce dial as they say the spring resonates.) but the spring works in reverse and actually allows better tracking and the cartridge sees a lower moving mass so if it does resonate and colours the sound it also improves the sound by allowing the cartridge to drive the arm more effectively. there is much ill informed debate about this imho.
i think the origin live wiring is only marginally better than standard rega rb-250 wiring and not especially noticable under huge sound pressure levels in clubs.
i think you will get at least 15 to 20 % improvement in detail and tracking with even a basic rega arm on a technics.
i think some of the origin live mods actually are inferior to regas standard models but the hi fi press seems to disagree with me.
i think for ease of use a rega arm is well worth the initial hassle. you get better sound cleaner music lower distortion.
as you go up into better wiring , better counterweights etc. the improvements get more expensive and you get less value for money.
if i could have afforded sme v arms instead i would have put those on but they are over 2000 per deck for what i would put down as a 35 % improvement over the basic technics arm.
not value for money in my opinion.
i think the michell arms do about 30 to 32 % improvement and are not to expensive for someone as mad as me.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:58 PM

It looks as if I was incorrect, and the OL1 is identical to the RB250...(I did say my memory was crap! I don't sell OL1s too often - 1 to be precise...). I will speak with Mark tomorrow and check this out as I had the impression all Rega OEM arms were made to a unique specification for each OEM.

When you say "hi-fi press" bear in mind that we're talking about the hi-fi press globally, not just the UK press.

Justin

Last edited by thermionic : 04-12-2005 at 04:16 PM.