Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM

need a decent mixer tonight in Boston

Does anyone that is in the Boston area have a decent mixer they could rent me for tonight?

Cheers,

-Barton

617 480 3580
Old 09-02-2010, 01:32 PM

where are you playing in boston?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 PM

Woodward @ the Ames Hotel. Looks like I am good. I thought that my McLelland box that converts unbalanced rca to balanced xlr was dead. Looks like I just needed a new power supply for it. Should be a fun night. Lots of deep house with a touch of swing. Crowd is good, a bit older and looking for fun.

Cheers,

-Barton
Old 09-02-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmenianSoul
where are you playing in boston?

Hey, you bought that Bozak from Cyrano right? Hows it holding up?

-b
Old 09-02-2010, 02:48 PM

I live in boston as a matter of fact, i had a bozak ISO-X and i sold it a while ago. I did realize there were any spots in the bean that had a deep house night. this city is a hit or miss with underground shit
Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Hey Bartonn, I might be able to help - give me a call. 617-306-1829.

I also have Cyrano's old Bozak in storage!

-ben
Old 09-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I live in boston as a matter of fact, i had a bozak ISO-X and i sold it a while ago. I did realize there were any spots in the bean that had a deep house night. this city is a hit or miss with underground shit

You need to check out DJ Bruno's utopia parties every sunday night if you want a regular deep house party. Louie Vega is playing Underbar on the 17th of this month. The weekly Thursday I have been a part of for the last few months isn't quite a deep house event. I play a lot of deep house with a mix of jacking swing and some latin house. Basically what ever I feel like, hahaha. The crowd is elegant/sophisticated 20s-50s. Lots of beautiful women. It's an RSVP event so take a look at:

www.facebook.com/duoboston
Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 PM

bruno is my boy, i know he throws the utopia parties but on a sunday night which is not the ideal night for me to go out on when i have to wake up 6 am the next day. I just met up with bruno the other day for the loft reunion this sunday at Machine, it will be good oh yes! I might hit up underbar for Louie Vega on the 17th, im not really to thrilled with underbar as a venue but for vega, i will make an acception..
Old 09-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
bruno is my boy, i know he throws the utopia parties but on a sunday night which is not the ideal night for me to go out on when i have to wake up 6 am the next day. I just met up with bruno the other day for the loft reunion this sunday at Machine, it will be good oh yes! I might hit up underbar for Louie Vega on the 17th, im not really to thrilled with underbar as a venue but for vega, i will make an acception..

Yea, the crowd at Underbar can be hit or miss. But the sound system is banging. Well what would you expect from an Angel Moraes sound system LOL. I think the LLV show will bring out a good crowd. I am bringing Miss Honey Dijon to Underbar in October, that should be a good show as well.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Yeah, Underbar is really a terrible venue. They have brought in some good acts in the past year but man, that place is awful.

The crowd is terrible, the door attitude is unreasonable for Boston, it's expensive, and on top of it all, the sound system really sucks these days. You go to certain parts of the dancefloor and it's like you can't hear anything, just a thick hum, like frequencies are canceling out all over the place. Oh, and there's a giant couch in the middle of the room, so no one really dances. Ugh.

If anyone here on WAVE wants to go all-in with me on building a kick-ass venue in Boston, let me know! This town has such potential but is littered with mediocrity. We can do better!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:24 PM

Sounds like the system at Underbar needs a tune up. It used to be incredible.

There is a new venue called Biju that opens end of September where the old Europa was. They are supposed to have a JBL Dance 5 system . I don't really know anything about that other than these specs:

http://www2.jblpro.com/catalog/Gener...?PId=210&MId=2

I think I might be DJing there for a few events this fall.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:35 PM

Boston was once a spot when we had landsdown bumpin with avalon and pre avalon days. Alot of wanna be's in this city that talk and actually present but not too long after that, done-dead-flat, and i feel that this city is too hyped up with the lame top 40/mash up scene and it IMHO falls under par big time. Guys like Bruno/Bradford James kept the spirit alive and risked to throw nights to restore the house music scene in boston, and hats off to them and there crew for keeping it real and alive! But honestly Bostons scene is mixed up with college/universities/locals who all fall in the electro dance scene and its sad, but what do you expect?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalpudding
Yeah, Underbar is really a terrible venue. They have brought in some good acts in the past year but man, that place is awful.

The crowd is terrible, the door attitude is unreasonable for Boston, it's expensive, and on top of it all, the sound system really sucks these days. You go to certain parts of the dancefloor and it's like you can't hear anything, just a thick hum, like frequencies are canceling out all over the place. Oh, and there's a giant couch in the middle of the room, so no one really dances. Ugh.

If anyone here on WAVE wants to go all-in with me on building a kick-ass venue in Boston, let me know! This town has such potential but is littered with mediocrity. We can do better!

Underbar is not a great venue at all, its too small and way too much obstruction of sound. I hear the system is descent but the format of the club is way toooo loungy
Old 09-02-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Underbar is not a great venue at all, its too small and way too much obstruction of sound. I hear the system is descent but the format of the club is way toooo loungy

Well, thats because it is a lounge
Old 09-02-2010, 04:47 PM

i guess it is

so they are putting a club where europa/buzz used to be lol, its funny i walk by that place sometimes and wonder whats going to be put in there, thats where paul pierce got stabbed
Old 09-02-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonn
Sounds like the system at Underbar needs a tune up. It used to be incredible.

There is a new venue called Biju that opens end of September where the old Europa was. They are supposed to have a JBL Dance 5 system . I don't really know anything about that other than these specs:

http://www2.jblpro.com/catalog/Gener...?PId=210&MId=2

I think I might be DJing there for a few events this fall.

Did you ever hear the Dance 5 from JBL? Webster Hall had it in one of its rooms stacked on top of some Bassmaxx. I think the Copa Cabana (now closed) had them too.

I am not a fan. Nor they are popular. They are custom made per order from JBL.

Mr. Paul Bell can chime in on them...
Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Vinyl in Denver had some JBL custom shop buiolt a few years ago, I think they referred to it as VI or something....

nice system IMHO....
a big upgrade to what was there previously...

everyone has funktion1 lust now (@Beta -- the beatport folks)
Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 PM

What up fellas I am from Boston !!! I would like to get involved with doing a night !!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 PM

i second that