Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2003, 01:22 AM

Cartridge Input

First off, let me say that I really enjoy reading everyones posts. This is an educated, affluent audio community, and it is really refreshing to see the dedication to the art. It's a real switch from what happens here on the left coast.

In any event, phono cartridges: It would be great to get preferences from different users (and as to why). Currently in my home studio, all three decks have the Shure 35S's on them. I am looking for another option that would give presence and definition. However, cost is a factor.

Everyone appears to rave about the Grado's, but from the technical specs on their website, it appears that back cuing is a no-no. Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2003, 01:53 PM

cartridges

The Grado,s sound good but can be somewhat delicate as compared to Stanton or ortofon!

The cartridge Ill recommend to you will be the Stanton 680 EL MK II with the blue tip! More output than the Shure which will give you a thumpy bottom and clean mid/highs!

And fairly economical, too!
Old 05-05-2003, 02:47 PM

on the subject of cartridges and needles...

what needles do you recommend as being the best sounding (need to be able to back cue) with the LEAST amount of record wear?

please list your choices from most affordable to expensive.

right now, i'm using the shure whitelabels w/ a spherical tip. i also have stanton trackmasters 'roger sanchez' editions w/ elliptical tips. both needles are 1 piece designs. i feel that the trackmasters
have a better sound that's fuller. they also have a higher output. but, are supposedly a bit longer than the standard needle setup w/ (technics headshell) - i was told that because they are slightly longer, they could wear my records down faster (especially with back cueing).

i'm not sure if the banana shaped ortofons are longer than the standard setup. i'd be interested to find out.

from the research i have done, it seems that ellipticals sound better because they pick up more surface area in the groove but are not recommended for scratching and excessive back cueing because of record wear.

and the sphericals are more recommended for scratching and seem to stick to the groove better. i've noticed the shures do stick better but i'm more interested in better sound than tricks and scratching.

i've heard a lot of good things about the ortofon line as well as the grado's which have a dj line (that you can back cue with)

but, i can imagine the grado's being quite expensive, though.

the one piece design needles are cool because they are quite simple to install but i've read somewhere that sometimes they have connection/contact problems where you wont be able to hear one channel or the other.

so, should i just get some needles that i can attach to the technics headshell? i was considering the ortofon nightclub OM's w/ an elliptical needle. i may also check out the stanton 680 EL MK II with the blue tip like scott recommended.

and then the final question is, if i use both elliptical and spherical needles, would that wear out my records faster?

thanks for all your imput! you guys rock!
warren
Old 05-05-2003, 03:46 PM

Use the

Technics headshell and make sure you use the weight that the turntable comes with in the original packaging (the little metal plate that comes in the bag when you buy these turntables this piece is a must to make the tone arm balance properly) if you dont have that plate you can order it. But if the Grados is out of your price range the next best stylus is the 680 EL these still sound great.if you balance the tone arms properly you can get alot of hours out of them and you won`t wear out records.
www.systemsbyshorty.com
Old 05-05-2003, 11:25 PM

thanks!!!

thanks shorty!
i'll definitely be getting the stanton 680 EL. i have the
weights and the headshell so i'm all set.

how about vinyl care? i'm currently using gruv glide occationally (when records are really dirty). i also have the stanton cleaner/brush and a calotherm cleaning cloth. what about carbon fiber brushes? i've heard they're good.

geez, so many different kinds of cleaning materials. i really want to simplify this process. what do you recommend as being the best way to keep vinyl super clean?

i'm just a newbie trying to protect his collection.

thanks a million!
warren

Old 05-05-2003, 11:35 PM

groove glide

This is great stuff but you can ONLY USE THIS STUFF ONCE ON A RECORD NO MORE THAN ONCE ALSO.
Mark your record that you use this stuff on it works great as long as you use this product properly. As long as you follow the directions it will do you right so i deff recomend it i use it my self on all my classics
Old 05-05-2003, 11:52 PM

thanks again! : )

cool, i'll make sure to follow the directions and use it only once like you said.

cheers,
warren

Old 05-12-2003, 10:44 PM

Justin...

Grado's DJ100 and DJ200 models are built for back-cueing. The output isn't as high as some other brands...and they are definately not built for scratch DJs. But soundwise, I'd say they are the best carts available for DJs.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:11 PM

grado vs. ortofon

Are the grado DJ 200 carts significantly quieter than the ortofon nightclub carts? I am running 1200s with nightclubs into a Rane MP 2016 right now, and I have to run gains and volume pots much hotter than I would like. Anyway, I am worried that with a cart with less output, I would lose more headroom. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
-Eric Best
Old 05-12-2003, 11:50 PM

Ortofon is the HIGHEST output

I dont like ortofon, I find the sound hard and screamy! if you are running the gains high with the ort,s something else is amiss in your system as these have HIGH OUTPUT!
Old 05-13-2003, 12:22 AM

6mv, right?

In order to get the mixer running according to Rane's specs (thru ortofons. this is before any amp set up...), I have to run gains at like 6-7 to get the channel LED blinking, and then the volume pot at 7-8 to get the main LED blinking (constant on like Rane recommends is 9-10 on the channel pot). This just seems really high to me. Also, I have used other 2016s, and I have never had to run them this high... It is not a big problem, because there is still what I consider to be a lot of headroom (not like a Urei, but it still stomps on most other mixers), but it just seems a little too high to me...
-Eric Best
Old 05-13-2003, 01:08 AM

yes your right

considering the output of the ortofon that setting does seem very high to me! You might want to have your mixer serviced as you mention you havent had to run the gain and volume as high on other 2016 mixers!