Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2002, 08:42 PM

How to build your own DJ coffin / console etc...HELP

Not strictly a soundsystem question, But would you happen to know where i could find some plans for different coffins etc to house turntables, mixer.

I am looking to build my own for my studio at home, Wanting to sink the turntables level and have the mixer at an angle.

Any help would be great.

Rob.J
Old 10-11-2002, 02:13 PM

coffins etc.

i wasn't able to find any plans online, but let me give you a few suggestions:

first, if you're making a portable coffin for your decks and mixer, you're honestly better off just buying one. Grundorf, SKB, and Odyssey make coffins in every imaginable configuration. i have seen coffins with 19" slant-rack mounts before, so i'm sure you can find one to suit your needs. a new commercially-made coffin will run you between $100-200, and a sweep of Ebay should net you a used one for a lot less. try www.pssl.com

the reason why i suggest you buy one is because making one by hand takes a lot of effort, and when you add the cost of carpet, padding, and hardware (steel corners, clasps, rails, etc.) you will be paying $50-75 for materials alone. what you will end up with will be a case that is a lot HEAVIER than a commercial one. i know from experience! a coffin with 2 1200's and a mixer already weighs a lot and sucks to transport. but a home-made one weighs even more, and generally just isn't practical.

if you're dead set on this idea, however, i'd recommend you check out some commercially-made coffins and take notes on how they're made. a coffin is a really simple design, and even a novice can make their own, if you're not sweating portability or looks. i've seen some fairly hefty ones made of 2x4's before...

fyi, i've always preferred to use two single 1200 cases with a 10" battle mixer between them, or a slant-top box case with a 19" angled on top and room for rackmount CD players or an efx processor down below. breaking your setup down into small, well-protected cases means less lifting for you, and easier transportation - try fitting a coffin into a compact car!

good luck,
sim*n
Old 10-16-2002, 01:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to mattu
dj console

I can't tell you anything about coffins, but I have built a DJ console and if you want I could search around my stuff and see if I can find the plans.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:15 AM

HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN DJ CONSOLE...HELP

TRY KEVIN CHILLIS SPECIAL DESIGNS - MONTCLAIR,NJ E-MAIL:CHILLKVN@AOL.COM NOT SURE IF HE WILL TELL YOU HOW TO DESIGN YOUR OWN, BUT HE DOES BUILD PORTABLE AND AND HOME INSTALLED CONSOLES TO YOUR SPECIFIC DESIRES. TRY WWW.JERSEYDJS.COM SCROLL DOEM TO THE DJ'S PAGE AND CLICK ON KEVIN CHILLIS TO CHECK OUT SOME PICS. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:01 PM

Consoles

I build consoles if your interested these are the same consoles i use in nightclubs with suspended tables. goto my site at www.systemsbyshorty.com view the pics so you can see them then email me if your interested at soundman.shorty@verizon.net
Old 10-19-2002, 03:34 PM

Isolating tables

Just wondering what's the best way that any of you have found to isolate the tables from vibration? I've seen all differnat ways like weights, foam, sand, hanging them etc. Just wondering whats the best way. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:41 PM

Suspension

The best way that has worked in my opinion is supension by ruberbands this works the best and this technique has worked for over 20 years in nightclubs
www.systemsbyshorty.com
Old 10-21-2002, 09:47 PM

Thanks

Thanks Shorty for the info I admire your work. I've always wondered how it was done in large club. I'm gunna give it a try next time I get a chance to build a console for a friend.

Allen Mueller
Old 10-22-2002, 02:58 PM

Suspension

Remember, the plate that holds the turntable should be some type of metal, that is how Richard Long designed his consoles. Alot of people use wood which vibrates metal does not vibrate if ti is 1/4" thick and secure.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:40 PM

dj console

i wouldent mind trying to get my hands on some plans on how to build a dj console like the one on shortys web site
Old 10-22-2002, 09:06 PM

Metal base & my console

Hey Edward,
if you use metal for a base there is a resonanating frequency of the metal & that will feedback down the tone arm of the 1200 this is why you don`t suspend your tables with springs it`s for this same reason.
Being that Richard was using thorens tables in some clubs with that floating base and that straight arm a metal base might work and give you no problems, but you have to take in the account of the thickness of the base for welding the hang points that type of base would be an expensive base x3 and weigh alot which would add additional stress to the rubberband suspension which they would break alot sooner than if the base was made out of wood. This could be a big problem in the middle of your set when the temperiture rises in the room and how that would effect the life span of the rubberbands with all that weight of the base plus the turntable they would break alot sooner and possibly in the middle of your set. Try playing records with this type of suspension with a metal base then when you turn around to find your next record finding the table that is playing fall through the console not a fun night so i dought this technique was used by Richard but i could be wrong plus the hang points on a metal base would have to be welded in the right areas with no mistakes so the table would suspend properly.
I have never seen a problem with a wood base, maybe the wood base that you seen was not the right thickness or the tables were suspended wrong this could have lead to the feedback problem or the base was desined with the wrong rubberbands. This all takes into acount designing a proper console with the right suspension there is mathmatics with these theorys in doing a console & a proper disco sound system.
As far as suspending 1200s with that S type tone arm a metal base would be trouble also what new jack DJ plays on thorens ? that would be a rarety.
So in my opinion that would not be such a great idea with 1200s having a metal base to suspend your tables.
Edward I have worked on some of Richards systems Namely Zanzibar and Club 88 and those bases were made out of wood. So I would tend to disagree with your statement on Richard only using a metal base but he might have tried it in some places so i cant say he did or did`nt use metal for a base but from my experience of working on a few of his systems he used a wood base and Paul I`m glad you like my console but you can purchase it from me cause there arent any plans documented. www.systemsbyshorty.com
Old 10-23-2002, 01:05 PM

Metal Plate

Craig, you are right in the sense of the metal plates in the consoles. In 1981, I played at Club New York New York in Manhattan which had one of Richard Longs sound systems on both floors. I played on the first floor and remember placing my turtables (original SL-120's with Shure SME Tonearms)into the console and a metal plate about 1/16' thick attached to rubber bands was used at that time. The console had two slots for the turntables and one for a reel to reel. Similar to one of your consoles. Being a civil engineer by trade I understand all the specifics in the actual design.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:15 PM

New DJ's

Craig,It's funny you mention new jack DJ's. Today's new guys no nothing about Thorens turntables or audio equipment at best. They have no clue of the entire audio setup. For example I have yet come across a DJ who demands to have metering units above the mixer to monitor outputs, this is sad, they just drive sound systems into disrepair.I have looked at your website and I see you have the vintage Audio Technology LED meter units, good choice. I see you have three over the mixer, they will never figure that one out. Todays DJ's will not go down as legends, todays DJ'd no nothing about Grado cartridges. Another sad point! Better yet who can balance a tonearm?
Old 10-24-2002, 02:07 AM

Source for Rubber Bands

What is the best source for rubber bands, when making this type of consonle?

Allen Mueller
Old 10-24-2002, 11:26 AM

V.U Metering

Edward,
some DJS have asked why i used a three VU metoring system in my system and true most don`t understand why but once i explain they understand and do agree with the theory. But some DJS still don`t pay atention to vu metors even if you use them for monitoring & they just dont care this is why some clubs hire techs on site to protect there sound system.
But I use them in all my systems to let the djs monitor the system there are djs that will pay attention if you explain.
www.systemsbyshorty.com
Old 12-16-2002, 11:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
Console Designs

If you would like to purchase a serious console, kindly check out Kevin Chillis for console designs. His work is excellent and well designs. I have seen consoles and his designs are second to none. Check out his work at www.jerseydjs.com. Trust me you will not be dissappointed. This cat does supreme work.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:24 PM

LED VU Disp;ays

Just in case anyone would like to have LED vu displays there is a company making VU,s very similar to the old ones Richard used. www.logitekaudio.com. The Super VU model is not to expensive and has 3 pairs of LEDS per 1 rackspace unit!
Old 12-17-2002, 08:17 AM

3 VU's

I'm just curious as to why you have 3 VU's in your console, Shorty. Whenever I'm out playing I usually go with the meter on the mixer, as that's usually what's available. I know the Bozak/Urei don't have any VU meters, so one is obviously for the main out. At least as far as I can figure. What does the 2 others show?
Old 12-17-2002, 10:21 AM

reason for 3 vu meters

I have 3 units to monitor the input and the outputs of the amps that drive the subwoofers, the fullrange, and the super tweeters.
The Audio Technology meters allow me to view what each section of my system is doing seperately.These units have line level input as well as speaker level input so you can monitor the amplifiers output section to view what the speakers are recieving from the amps as well as line level input so you can really see whats really going on with the system just by pushing the button on the face plate.
www.systemsbyshorty.com
Old 12-17-2002, 11:18 AM

3 VU's

Like you said! When explained, it makes complete sence. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2002, 11:25 PM

your welcome

:-)
Old 01-28-2003, 09:22 PM

Respons ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP

hey how you doing...since people can't answer the question you asked about making your own WHICH Costed ME only $60.00 to make my own console and is light as hell. i was wanted to ask you if you got a hold of some plans or if YOU knew where i can get some printouts of DJ coffins to custom my own. I made one for someone else
Old 04-12-2003, 01:49 AM

Acoustic Suspension For Turntable Cases

Looking to have this moble parties.
Any tips?
Old 04-12-2003, 01:59 AM

New jack djs

New DJs dont have a clue of vintage equipaments cause they didnt grew up with them.
I think its sad but understandable,no shame bout that.
Not everyone can have (+)38 years old and had experieced R.Long systems.
Information and knowledge might make something bout it...i guess.......................?!?!"
Old 04-12-2003, 02:20 AM

Hey Leonard

Go to jersey DJ's and look for kevin chillis. I was lucky and able to buy a used one really cheap that was used in a mobil set up. I am customizing it right now and will tell you if you are not used to building stuff just buy one...

Mine was already built and I have been working on it on weekends and it takes time. I have spent time learning the trick to the rubberbands experimenting with how many how tight ... Removing the old finish, which was a grey carpet... Next is plastic wood, sanding and painting.

For me it's therapy but it may drive others to therapy.

If I can find his e-mail address I'll let you know I'm even sure that one of the cats on Deep House page may be able to help you track him down...