Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:53 AM

Suggestions for VU-Meters

Hey Folks,

since i recently purchased a Rane mp2016a, and now ordered a Rack from Soundactive for travelling-purposes, i was wondering if there are any suitable VU-meters on the market, that can BOTH display the master-signal and the signal on the phones, so i can set the gain right on the different channels BEFORE turning the volume-knob, IF that is even possible

i'm used to having led-meters on every channel on all my other mixers, to know how loud my channel-signal is..since that i gone now, i'm looking for a solution to give me the best comfort...and since i'm planning to take the mixer with me to our monthly venue, where other djs have to work with the mixer i don't want them to blow the system by turning the volume to loud

all vu-meters that i checked so far are just for the master-signal
i think there must be some sort of company out there that has developed a vu-meter that can show the amount of dezibel on every channel that has been selected for pre-listening

i don't care HOW they display it...for me it would be nice to have the led for the master going to the right, and a signal for the headphones going to the left, maybe? or the master on the upper led-band and the phones underneath it...dunno

maybe you guys know something like this...and i hope i find a solution without much stress..just plug-and-play would be the best
if it's not possible, i have to live with it

thanks in advance,
much greetings from germany

#npnk
Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #npnk
Hey Folks,

since i recently purchased a Rane mp2016a, and now ordered a Rack from Soundactive for travelling-purposes, i was wondering if there are any suitable VU-meters on the market, that can BOTH display the master-signal and the signal on the phones, so i can set the gain right on the different channels BEFORE turning the volume-knob, IF that is even possible

i'm used to having led-meters on every channel on all my other mixers, to know how loud my channel-signal is..since that i gone now, i'm looking for a solution to give me the best comfort...and since i'm planning to take the mixer with me to our monthly venue, where other djs have to work with the mixer i don't want them to blow the system by turning the volume to loud

all vu-meters that i checked so far are just for the master-signal
i think there must be some sort of company out there that has developed a vu-meter that can show the amount of dezibel on every channel that has been selected for pre-listening

i don't care HOW they display it...for me it would be nice to have the led for the master going to the right, and a signal for the headphones going to the left, maybe? or the master on the upper led-band and the phones underneath it...dunno

maybe you guys know something like this...and i hope i find a solution without much stress..just plug-and-play would be the best
if it's not possible, i have to live with it

thanks in advance,
much greetings from germany

#npnk

Youd need something integrated with the mixer really

A workaround is buying a normal vu like the stagemaster one, running the headphone outs in split cue mode (if your mixer does this) and then monitoring from the VUs outs
Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 AM

have you received the mixer yet??? Or read the manual online???

From the manual

INPUT GAIN

INPUT GAIN controls allow the user to match input
levels. Adjust these controls to make the SIG/OL indicator
flash green. If the indicators turn red, reduce the INPUT
GAIN. Adjusting the INPUT LEVEL controls correctly
maximizes dynamic range and provides consistent MIX
LEVEL response.

Input SIG/OL
These dual color indicators provide help in setting correct
input levels. A flashing green indication is optimal. The red
indicator should remain off during normal operation.

MASTER HOUSE Level
This studio-grade control sets the HOUSE Output level.

MASTER SIG/OL indicator
This dual color indicator helps set correct MASTER mix
levels. A flashing or steady green indication is optimal. The
red indicator may flash only briefly on rare occasion...regular
flashing or steady-on means that distortion is imminent and
Levels need reducing
Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 AM

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you only bought the mixer not the expander (XP 2016a). I don't understand why anyone would do that but hey whatever.

IF you bought the XP 2016a you would know that the meter that is on it follows the headphone cue. Meaning that when the split cue knob on themixer is set to cue, whatever you are listening to in cue is what the meter is displaying. So if you have an outboard meter for the master, the meter on the XP will display your channel volumes in cue, and therefor you have both.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:13 PM

i don't want the expander...i rather have a e&s isolator on the master, and thats it
i saw the expander at work in berlin at the cookies, but i just don't really like it

i want to get away from the 3way-eq

plus: i want the setup to be a light as can be..so just the mixer, isolator and a vu-meter...5 HU..thats it
i don't like setups with lots and lots of equipment...

this is a pic that CJ Brenda has posted...this is the kind of thing i would go for..just imagine a vu-meter above the isolator
and in an soundactive-rackstand ^^

like this, just the vu-meter instead of the a&h filter

@mark:
yeah man, i noticed the signal-leds, but thats just not precise enough for me
i want to set the master-signal ONE TIME only at the beggining of the party, and from there keep the level at the same volume, by using the channel-gain
our venue has a limiter, and i don't want that thing to fuck with the sound, so i want to push the volume right to the edge, before that limiter cuts away frequencies

i just saw too many people dropping a record, and the volume-difference was too big...it fucks up the mix and it's not pleasant for my ears...

Last edited by #npnk : 01-05-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #npnk
@mark:
yeah man, i noticed the signal-leds, but thats just not precise enough for me

But as long as you stay out the red you will be fine, that's all you gotta do.

If you go in the red turn it down, the same as if you go in the red on a VU-meter
Old 01-05-2009, 06:24 PM

the led stays green for a LOOOONG time, before it turns red...i can turn the gain almost a 1/4 of the whole turn and the light is still green...thats gotta be a huge db-difference..at least so i think

what brand is that vu-meter above the r3?
Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 PM

Here's a couple!

Furman VU 40- Old School hard to find
Logitek-Cool but kinda heavy
American Audio- Cheap but works
Stageworks-Cheap but works

My Beloved Wife

Last edited by Dj Greg G : 01-05-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:47 PM

Well, the only way your going to get what you want.. a meter that displays the channel signal so you can match levels BEFORE you turn the pot up is the built in meter on the XP 2016a expander. But hey, if you don't want the expander what can I tell you, you'll have to live with just the signal indicators on the MP unit.

Oh, and if the reason you don't want the expander is because you don't want to use the channel EQ's you don't NEED to use the EQ's. You have another need that is one of the exact purposes of the expander.. the meter. Plus IMO its better to have the channel EQ's and not need them then to need them and not have them. Just gives you more versatility to do things you can't do with only a master EQ/Isolator. having channel EQ's AND an isolator on the master is the best of both worlds, and the Rane expander doesn't degrade your sound quality at all. If you switch the expander in and out you will see there is absolutely no change in sound either way.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!

Last edited by Kevin James : 01-05-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM

I think he wants to travel with the least amount of weight as possible.Although extremely helpful, to get and expander just to use the VU meters is a waste of space and money.

My Beloved Wife
Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM

if you want to travel light, use your ears
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM

What about this
Old 01-05-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark andrews

suspiciously phallic...
Old 01-05-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Greg G
to get and expander just to use the VU meters is a waste of space and money.

thats exactly what i wanted to answer to kevin, thanks for your help an your concern mate, but...i ain't no rockefeller...i just don't have the money

@man_traic: yeah, would be cool if it was only me..but other djs out there tend to push the gain and the volume right into the red...i guess it would be unfair and straight ignorant to present guest-djs a mixer without proper leveling-capabilities...i can't tell them "use your ears"...i have to provide them with the comfort they want..even if that means setting up a pioneer djm-800...

djs have a tech-roster, that needs to be followed, and if i can't provide them with the goods they want i have to give them a solution they can live with...this is why i need a vu-meter

if they insist on 3way-eq then i just give them a pio 800 or a xne..but if not then they will experience what it's like to play on a rotary with no eq
but i still want the setup to be the most professional, but still keep it the way that everybody can handle it
Old 01-05-2009, 07:30 PM

I tend to find most mobile Dj problems as far as monitoring their system is that a lot never use a booth monitor. They tend to use the main system to monitor their mix and at that point no meter in the world is going to help you.

My Beloved Wife
Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Mate to be honest it's simple to me

I know your saying the light stays green for a long time, but it will as its replacing many L.E.D's

All you need to worry about is it not flashing red (same as most amps)
Old 01-05-2009, 07:33 PM

what about something like this?????

link
Old 01-05-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Greg G
I tend to find most mobile Dj problems as far as monitoring their system is that a lot never use a booth monitor. They tend to use the main system to monitor their mix and at that point no meter in the world is going to help you.

Agreed... but as a mobile dj, I sometimes get 10 minutes to set up before a party...have to be quick and there isn't always time to set up a monitor. So I find myself checking the system constantly from the dance floor. And over the years you get to know your system and it's capabilities and how to set it to sound good without always using a monitor.

When I work with other dj's playing on my system I just jump right in and adjust the levels for them while they are mixing, even if they get pissed off. Have to let them know they are pushing it too hard.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark andrews
Mate to be honest it's simple to me

I know your saying the light stays green for a long time, but it will as its replacing many L.E.D's

All you need to worry about is it not flashing red (same as most amps)

Yep agree. Just as long as whats coming out is not cliping the amps you are ok, a master vu meter I would reccomend just as a safety barier and as long as your gains are in the green you are ok, just then use the input knobs as your gain etc much like the urei.
Now I know my Urei I can mix with or without my VU and you wont know a thing...learn your mixer, use your hearing
Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 PM

Suppose you used a VU meter like this.

http://www.logitekaudio.com/bvmeter.html

Then split the signal from the decks into the meter and the mixer. It will give you a reading on bother channels so you can compensate when you mix them. Not exactly a headphone monitor but you can use it to keep the mix levels even. And if you get the meter with 3 sets of LEDS you can even monitor the master out.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to NeverObsolete Send a message via Yahoo to NeverObsolete
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcm

Then split the signal from the decks into the meter and the mixer. It will give you a reading on bother channels so you can compensate when you mix them. Not exactly a headphone monitor but you can use it to keep the mix levels even. And if you get the meter with 3 sets of LEDS you can even monitor the master out.

Now ur getting hot.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcm

problem

turntables have phono out not line level

so unless the mixer hs channel inserts its not going to work
Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_traic
problem

turntables have phono out not line level

so unless the mixer hs channel inserts its not going to work

ahhhhh... forgot ... I just assumed he was using cd players.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:57 PM

Just get a cheap VU, callibrate it, get used to what levels the mixer can stick out at different settings and stick it in the tape outs and be done with it.
I use a VU with my Urei..honestly dont need anything else
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Br-ERW...eature=channel

The rane is a quality piece of analogue gear and should have enough headroom to cope with varying signal levels with it still sounding good

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 01-05-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:12 PM

for the third time now: THIS IS NOT ABOUT ME!!!

i want to put this setup together to use it at a monthly party we do over here...for guest-djs from all over the world!!! and they are used to turn the volume-knob to TEN, and not stop before that because its already loud enough...I'VE SEEN IT AT COOKIES IN BERLIN!!! THEY DON'T WORK THE MIXER LIKE THEY ARE SUPOSSED TO

i don't want to be the guy constantly reminding them not to go into the red!!! cause i have other shit to do on that night (bar, door, etc)