Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 PM

AND YOU REALLY THINK A RED LIGHT IS GOING TO STOP THEM FROM TURNING IT UP!!!

Don't think so mate
Old 01-05-2009, 08:16 PM

At the club I play sometimes they have different Dj's, so we run their mixer through the house mixer so no matter how high the Dj pushes their mixer it's not going to erupt.

My Beloved Wife
Old 01-05-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #npnk
for the third time now: THIS IS NOT ABOUT ME!!!

i want to put this setup together to use it at a monthly party we do over here...for guest-djs from all over the world!!! and they are used to turn the volume-knob to TEN, and not stop before that because its already loud enough...I'VE SEEN IT AT COOKIES IN BERLIN!!! THEY DON'T WORK THE MIXER LIKE THEY ARE SUPOSSED TO

i don't want to be the guy constantly reminding them not to go into the red!!! cause i have other shit to do on that night (bar, door, etc)

well dont hire them then
Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 PM

In all honesty in that case I wouldnt use the rane... most people dont know how to work a rotary any way.
A&H, Formula Sound, Pioneer (Something with a farmiliar layout to your avarage dj) and stick a limiter on it which I know comprimises sound but if you cant trust them then what you gonna do?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM

okay...i wanna keep this as simple as can be:

a) is it possible to have a vu-meter display the phone-signal on a rane mp2016a for every channel punched in to prelisten?
b) if so, what unit would i have to buy to have this out-of-the-box or with little effort? and...
c) how will i have to wire it to my rane mp 2016a? (i'm thinking about tape-outputs, or booth-outputs maybe...)

thats all i wanna know...
thanks for you guys taking so much interest in this, but i'm looking for a short and simple answer...i want exactly THIS, and if it's not possible, it's not possible..i'm am already aware of the alternatives, you don't have to explain them to me...thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
okay...i wanna keep this as simple as can be:

a) is it possible to have a vu-meter display the phone-signal on a rane mp2016a for every channel punched in to prelisten?
b) if so, what unit would i have to buy to have this out-of-the-box or with little effort? and...
c) how will i have to wire it to my rane mp 2016a? (i'm thinking about tape-outputs, or booth-outputs maybe...)

thats all i wanna know...
thanks for you guys taking so much interest in this, but i'm looking for a short and simple answer...i want exactly THIS, and if it's not possible, it's not possible..i'm am already aware of the alternatives, you don't have to explain them to me...thanks

The answer to your question is, no!

My Beloved Wife
Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM

XP-2016! Easy

Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
XP-2016! Easy

Here we go again!

My Beloved Wife
Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Greg G
Here we go again!

lol But it does what he needs it to do right? Fair enough it's a bit extravagant to spend that money on it just to use it's VU but you can view pre fade cue signals on it
Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Greg G
The answer to your question is, no!

and that solves the case...plz close this thread
Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 PM

It is absolutely hilariouse to me that the EXACT thing you want and are getting so frustrated over is something the mixer does RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX with the XP expander. Yet thats not acceptable to you lol

I don't even understand why anyone would buy the Rane in the first place if they didn't want the expander. To me, the Rane sounds great BUT the expander IS the entire reason to get the Rane. If no expander then why not just get a Urei?

Heres the bottom line, buy the expander, it does exactly what you want. If you just can't stand the expander then just get used to the fact that what you want isn't possible any OTHER way.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
I don't even understand why anyone would buy the Rane in the first place if they didn't want the expander.

the keyword is "easy-to-use"..the rane mp2016a has all the features a "modern" rotary-mixer should have, by keeping an vintage appearance and workflow...
i wanted a cue-mix-button, because monitoring in clubs over here is somewhat bad, and i tend to check my mix on the headphones before turning up the volume
i wanted to prelisten more than one channel on my headphones, cause i play on 2 decks and 2 cd-players, and sometimes on all of them all together...if i'm in a very good mood...so the rane gives me all i wanted...and it gives guest-djs that play at our party the same comfort as other mixers

also i got him for a VERY good price, so i didn't think twice
why are you so obsessed with making me getting the expander?
i don't want it, cause then i could have bought other mixers and hook them up with a rotary-kit...and that even would have been cheaper for me

but then it wouldn't be special to me
Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 AM

I'm not obsessed with making you buy the expander. It makes no difference to mewhat you do. I just don't think that you are making any sence when you say you don't want it, but your desperately wanting one of the main features it offers that you aren't going to get any other way. But hey whatever, no bubbles no troubles there guy.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:34 AM

with the expander the whole mixer itself is just getting to big..i'm not fond of having this HUUUGE box sitting on the table while i'm playing...all these rack-boxes make me sick

okay, yeah...soundactive is selling a 6 window-rack-unit that looks very cool
but to me it's just too big..if i put this on the table in the club, you can't see me standing behind the mixer, cause it's just too high...and i'm not a small person

as you see this is just a decision of taste..i know the expander is giving me a vu-meter i can use, but it also gives me a lot of stuff that i don't want...and i was just trying to get what i want with just a little less space needed

the 3window unit from soundactive just looks way better, slicker and more "agile", i would say

why buying a hummer suv, when the corvette looks much better AND is faster?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 AM

mate, ive already given you a workaround several posts ago - plug headphone l+r into the vu meter, then connect your headphones to the outs of the vu meter

this presumes you have headphones that are in split cue mode and have matched levels

alternatively just buy the xp
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 AM

Try using separate phono pre/stages on the turntables and run them through the meters before the mixer (you could even run one channel of each deck through the meter only to get away with useing one unit), though this will give you the level pre-channel so it won't let you know when you have matched the gain but this will let DJ's know how much lower a pressing is!!!!!

Though i just use the XP-expander in my mobile setup and i berely ever use the ch-EQ but it comes in handy now and then!

But i do understand what your trying to do, pleasing some DJ's is imposible (buy a DJ wacking stick)...........................

Kieren.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_traic
mate, ive already given you a workaround several posts ago - plug headphone l+r into the vu meter, then connect your headphones to the outs of the vu meter

this presumes you have headphones that are in split cue mode and have matched levels

alternatively just buy the xp

DAMM, i never thought of that....... nice one!

But you would have to have the split cue pot in the right spot, wouldn't you?

on the "a" you can split the monitors, can't you? if he doesn't use monitors couldn't he do the same out of the monitor output?

Kieren.

Last edited by Special.K : 01-06-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:33 AM

most djs in europe have no clue about rotary mixer :(

Quote:
...I'VE SEEN IT AT COOKIES IN BERLIN!!! THEY DON'T WORK THE MIXER LIKE THEY ARE SUPOSSED TO

Yep, I saw their set-up the last time I went to see Omar S.
This was a night organized by Smallville and guess what ..? they plugged a f*** Pionner into the Rane & they were all playing on this crappy piece of shit. This was so ridiculous! When Omar asked to use the Rane, no one has a clue how to change the routing

Cookies is probably the best place to dance with nice fancy easy girls in Berlin but don't take it as a reference for sound system ... cause they're just amateurs.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:39 AM

Keep It Simple!

Quote:
i want the setup to be a light as can be..so just the mixer, isolator and a vu-meter...5 HU. that's it. i don't like setups with lots and lots of equipment...

Right! Keep it simple. I tested the rane for a while. I'd suggest you use the little channel leds for channel monitoring, it's quite easy: after 2 records you know how to use it. Then on top of this add a good VU-Meter. I was considering getting something like an RTW or NTP but those are really expensive and then I found this one: http://www.thomann.de/fr/the_tmeter_..._peakmeter.htm

Thomann also sells it into a 19' rack. Affordable, solid, and convenient
Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special.K
Try using separate phono pre/stages on the turntables and run them through the meters before the mixer (you could even run one channel of each deck through the meter only to get away with useing one unit), though this will give you the level pre-channel so it won't let you know when you have matched the gain but this will let DJ's know how much lower a pressing is!!!!!

Though i just use the XP-expander in my mobile setup and i berely ever use the ch-EQ but it comes in handy now and then!

But i do understand what your trying to do, pleasing some DJ's is imposible (buy a DJ wacking stick)...........................

Kieren.

that too - but its PF level, but its a start

For what you want to do WITHOUT the XP unit you really need another mixerr...
Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djone
Yep, I saw their set-up the last time I went to see Omar S.
This was a night organized by Smallville and guess what ..? they plugged a f*** Pionner into the Rane & they were all playing on this crappy piece of shit. This was so ridiculous! When Omar asked to use the Rane, no one has a clue how to change the routing

Cookies is probably the best place to dance with nice fancy easy girls in Berlin but don't take it as a reference for sound system ... cause they're just amateurs.

sorry for creating offtopic in the very thread that i started, but:

1. alex wasn't asking to play on the rane..he wanted to play on the pioneer..he likes his line-faders, trust me

2. if he would have asked for the rane, then it wouldn't have been no problem..i know the tech-guy there (he put me on the guestlist that night)...and he is definetly a nice guy and he knows the system there

3. they are not amateurs, but they are not really high-class professionals either...they do their thing, and the system is not the worst in berlin
remember: not everybody has the money to buy a function one system

4. the women there are SIKK!!! *drooling* lots of fashion-models, and hot girls...but easy? no way...i got no game up in there
the place is a huge showoff for people..the more important, the more interesting you are...if you aint got shit like me, you have to be all like: "i know the dj"
nuh uh, not my thing

@topic:

i think i found a way to work around...if it works, i go tell
Old 01-06-2009, 01:23 PM

The 2016a allows you to route the cue signal to the booth out. You could attach your VU meter to the booth out in split cue mode, then switch your cue signal between the input that's currently playing (to give you a reference level) and the source you're about to play (to match it using the input trim).
Old 01-06-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaat
The 2016a allows you to route the cue signal to the booth out. You could attach your VU meter to the booth out in split cue mode, then switch your cue signal between the input that's currently playing (to give you a reference level) and the source you're about to play (to match it using the input trim).

yeah..i'm trying something just like this, but not exactly...
but this could work too

thanks