Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 PM

Ortofon Nightclub mk2

Out of interest has any one used these yet?
I hated the mk1's, very harsh sound and sibilant. The DJ E/Arkiv was more pleasant and less sibilant than the NCE mk1 probs due to the softer suspension but again a lot of top end and picked up loads of surface noise.

At the moment I'm using the Grado DJ-200i but I don't like the low output (4mv) and the hum it induces from everything.

The Ortofon's had amazing strengths but let down a lot by that top end and they needed to be tracked really heavy..Not nice

Thinking of trying some of the OM's.. Gona use them on a silver Bozak CMA 10-2-DL

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 02-15-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM

Man, you have used almost every dj cartridge out there. If you find the holy grail with Ortofon let us know.

I got an email from my needle seller Kevin at KABUSA and he told me the Stanton factory is closed down and Stanton has been sold to Gibson USA. I wonder what Gibson will do with the Stanton phono cartridge business?

I just got a pair of original white Stanton D6800EL stylii, which will keep me going for 6 more months.

Otherwise, I had been happy running 500 AL II but all the original Stanton D5100ALII stylii are gone and it's all the new V500 styli now. Kevin says they are the same just the plastic housing changed but I'm not so sure.

Shame about Stanton Magnetics, I was about to look at Ortofon myself.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM

Wow that's mental news!

The Grado DJ-200i is a fantastic cart, it tracks the vinyl amazingly, no sibilance what so ever and can go wikki wikki till your hearts desire also sounds amazing with old Jazz but the hum, low output and lack of punch really make me want to find something without those traits... Sibilance and over brightness are huge hates for me though and all Ortofon's I have ever owned have had this
Old 02-21-2012, 08:26 PM

"There's been chatter for the last few months that several manufacturers were "circling the carcass" of the Stanton group, after we exclusively reported that the concern had put itself up on the auction block. Native Instruments, Numark, Behringer and others reportedly sniffed around or were in talks with Stanton, but nothing materialized.

Now Gibson, who has come out of left field according to insiders, has made the acquisition from ML Capital. It has been conveyed that Tim Dorwart, Stanton's current CEO, will still oversee the group for the near future. Others have commented that Gibson is only interested in KRK, the group's cash cow, and will probably spin off Stanton's DJ group when it can find a suitable buyer, if it hasn't already located one. Although ML Capital didn't outwardly say they would reject selling off each segment, it was obvious that they preferred to dispose of the poor investment in one deal. This may have been the reason that finding a suitable buyer turned off some of the interested parties attached to the deal originally, since they were only interested in one of the three segments.

What Gibson, who at one time owned Oberheim, ultimately decides to do with the Stanton DJ unit is anyone's guess, but at least Henry Juszkiewicz can rest assured that the DJ unit's offices won't get raided for illegally obtained wood products."
Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 PM

Why are you thinking about the Ortofons when you dislike them?

Although Stanton carts and styli aren't as good as they were in the past you still can buy original Pickering spares which are good.

Why don't you try the Whitelabels with the N92E stylus?

I got in contact some time ago with the Shure support and they told me I could fit the N92E in the Whitelabel, although I may have to do some "brico" with the grip and the sound may not satisfy me.

I'm a bass guy and own the Whitelabels and also a pair of Pickering 150-DJ, which are the XV-15 white bodies with D150DJ red styli (made in FL and right now discontinued).

I love the sound of the Pickerings a bit more than the Whitelabels, although the Whitelabels sound better with some bad pressings I have (like Passarani's "Sullen Look", which has distortion at high frequencies) and also more detailed in general.

One of my Pickering stylus came with defective cantilever (tilted/rotated/twisted) and never have used it. I only have used the other cart to listen to music at home and the Whitelabels for djing (at home too).

(offtopic on)
vinyl_junkie, If you remember, I asked you some days ago about the Pickering spares. I got in contact with vickers-hifi via ebay because some months ago they had a good deal for a spherical twin pack.

Although that offer is no longer available right now, they said that would provide me the deal if interested. I said I was interested. I also said I would buy XV-15 carts instead of the spare styli in case they would have them.

More than one week since then and haven't received an answer yet. I even sent a new message on friday, but nothing. I'm thinking they don't want to pay attention to me.

Disliking vickers-hifi at work.
(offtopic off)

Last edited by No luv : 02-21-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 AM

Another note from KABUSA, they are going to bring in the Japanese line of Jico brand replacement styli for Stanton cartridges. For DJ styli these will include

D680EL dj elliptical for Stanton 680 cartridge
D51E dj elliptical for Stanton 500 cartridge, 2-5g tracking force, a replacement for a long unavailable Stanton elliptical dj stylus

http://stylus.export-japan.com/

"We at Jico are committed to delivering high quality styli to our customers and continue to produce around 2000 types of record styli using integrated manufacturing. While each needle on our site is designed by a dedicated craftsperson, we have kept our status as one of the two or three manufactures in the world that is capable of supplying such variety.
*Please note that all our products are replacements and not originals and that replacements are of the same quality as originals"

The good news is no matter what the future of the Stanton's phono division, Stanton cartridge owners will have options for new needles.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM

I've read very good feedbacks about Jico styli. Also have read is hard to get the specs from them.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 AM

From Stanton's distributor in the Philippines:

"Stanton Carts will eventually be stopped but all else will go on. in fact, a very nice Stanton controller for VDJ will be released in April"
Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 PM

Why the Ortofon obsession? Because other than the high frequency tracking issues due to the suspension/heavy cantilever they sound damn fantastic, the 680 sounds like you are listening to music with cotton wool in your ears and the sound is mono compared to a OM DJ E/Arkiv lol
Old pressings don't sound as good on the Ortofon though and a bit too much surface noise.

I won't be going back to Stanton though as Grado wipes the floor with them imo even with the hum and low output they outperform them in every other way.

I might investigate those Jico styluses as it's always nice to have some beater needles for shit records that you don't want to play on your expensive carts.

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 02-25-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:06 AM

I currently have the Shure Whitelabels but would like to try the Ortofons.

Any difference in the bodies from the CC line or stick to the OM versions?

PS - I recall some good things said about the Audio Technica ATP2xN on the forum. Perhaps an option...
Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 PM

Hello, my first post here (thanks for approval).

Would there be a big difference between the 680 EL & the 680 EL II ?

What do you think of a retail price of 68.99 (92$) for a EL II (blue tip black body) ?

I need a good cart for sampling use, i have a shure v15 type III but looking for a more colorful cart. I used to have a 680 HP and it sounded amazing.

Sorry my post is a bit off topic.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:43 PM

no comments on the topic at hand, but
welcome abaord!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:50 PM

Lots of people here don't like the II (blue tip, black body) I have only ever used them with the mk1 body though and I liked them but they seemed to vary in quality, I had more that sucked than ones that didn't.

I'm not keen on the Shure you have, the quality has changed over the years imo and they are just a bland cart. I'd just get a Audio Technica At-440mla
Old 02-29-2012, 05:28 PM

Thanks Mistick Krewe

Cheers vynil_junkie for the input. The shure v15 III is an old design but it's still relevant imho for it's neutral sound and frequency separation abilities.

I'll look into that Audio Technica but its pricey !
Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 PM

Ops I just got your V15 mixed up with the M97xe lol Never tried the V-15, heard good things about them though

My bad, just got back from work
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 PM

To be honest you say you loved the 680HP, I can kind of understand that for sampling. I have a crusty old Stanton 505SK sitting about here which is wicked for sampling some drum breaks, it's a shit needle for music but it's wicked if that makes sense.. LOADS of bass, seriously loud and man what crunchy high end
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM

I use the Grado DJ-200i, I don't make a lot of sample based stuff but this was made mostly of samples other than the 909 kit, sampled 101 bass and bass station lead

http://soundcloud.com/martin_bell/tims-mpc60

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 02-29-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 AM

I didn't really want to open a new topic for this so I'll just ask it here:

I currently have Ortofon Concorde PRO carts (the silver ones), and I recently upgraded my sound system. Would new carts actually be worth it? I would need spherical carts though, since I use my needles/carts very allround. I can't really afford different sets of needles. any recommendations?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM

All those ortofon DJing needles will have issues with distortion in the highs. It's because the cantilever is overbuilt and has too much mass. I believe it requires something like 3.25 grams or more downforce to tame it. Ditto with the Stanton 500 djing needles. The Shure Whitelabels are a slight improvement in this regard. ATP improves this even more, but is a harder, less finessed sound. The Grado will sound better than any of these and will distort less. Assuming they're tracking fine for you, I'd research ways of improving the Grados with better phono preamps and either different turntables or getting yours modded to move the power supply (if it's a switchable voltage model) out of the TT body into a separate housing. There are durable hifi needles that can run at lower downforces, track well, and distort very little, but the Grados are fantastic needles if you can deal with the tracking and the RF/EM hum pickup.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011...pen-wager.html

Last edited by Reticuli : 03-01-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Think I'll stick with Grado's for a bit. I agree on the Ortofon's overbuilt cantilever, it's a shame cos it ruins what is I think a good cart.

The Grado's track great at 2.5g, I can get away at 2.3 but 2.5 seems best.

The hum doesn't seem to be as much from the 1210 but more so from everything else in the room!
The Urei mixer being close affected it, the amp being few meters under the desk on which the TT sits on really affected it, hell if I fart it will probs pick it up lol

I used for a while good phono pre-amps that were silent with anything other than the Grado, the hiss on the Urei covered up the hum to an extent lol And in the end it was pointless using good pre-amps as it just made it more obvious how shitty they are so I took them back.
Sure there was a improvement in the quality of the sound but the hum was even more prominent

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 03-01-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estacy
I didn't really want to open a new topic for this so I'll just ask it here:

I currently have Ortofon Concorde PRO carts (the silver ones), and I recently upgraded my sound system. Would new carts actually be worth it? I would need spherical carts though, since I use my needles/carts very allround. I can't really afford different sets of needles. any recommendations?

I still have to ask why spherical? DJ Kentaro DMC champion uses elliptical carts to scratch with and enough people won DMC's using 680EL's (DJ Cash money) I think used a set.

I'm never going back to using spherical's unless it's a Denon DL-103, I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.

If you really needed spherical I'd stay with the Pro, it's probs the best one they make imo I had a set and they did the reverse to what was printed on the paper work, they track great at 2.5/3g, the cantilever is light, hardly any sibilance and in that respect better than the NCE or Arkiv/DJE the sound was very 2D though compared to the ellipticals but that's to be expected, nothing the cart was actually doing wrong

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 03-01-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Also I'm mega skint now so a replacement stylus is cheaper

This thing will be making it's way to me soon and it has stripped me of cash lol

Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
I still have to ask why spherical? DJ Kentaro DMC champion uses elliptical carts to scratch with and enough people won DMC's using 680EL's (DJ Cash money) I think used a set.
\

Youre the first one to tell me that elliptical needles can scratch! I've always been told that spherical=scratching elliptical=no no scratching. I think it was A-trak BTW with the 680.
I do a lot of back cueing (bad habit) and I occasionally scratch, I also have a lot of dusty old records that need to be played, and dust and elliptical needles don't go well together (AFAIK). So spherical seems like the way to go. Needles are also generally cheaper (easier to make).

I'll just stick with the PRO then, needles are dirt cheap so thats a plus
Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 PM

nitty gritty or a DIY version will work wonders for your vinyl experience...
don't forget to de-static after cleaning...

a link on buiding one up....
http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html
Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 PM

Nice loop there vinyl_junkie, i'm learning to use the 3000 right now.

Cheers for the 505sk tip, exactly the kind of output i want to have in a set of carts.

In the end i'll be keeping the v15 III with an ed saunders replacement tip and try and get lucky on a 680EL bid.

But seriously your feedback on Grado's scare the days out of me ! Do they pick up that much ?