Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > General Music Topics

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2002, 12:45 AM
Administrator

The state of Dance Music today

As I travel a fair amount I am seeing a great deal of change in the clubs and music scene in general this year. Some good, some depressing, some very positive.

Would love to hear some comments from around the planet on how things are going in YOUR neigborhood, and what you see happening (and not).

wax on, wax on...

FK
Old 09-25-2002, 05:11 AM

dance music today

i feel that nyc needs help. to few good partys, not enough clubs. it good to see some sort of house being played but it hate the trance and progressive house. nyc is not about a quality party its about making a profit. i feel in order for us to turn the tide we must all support each other. i also feel for nyc to have so many top djs that you can't hear in the city is a shame. we might have gained europe but we lost our own back yard! the ball is in our court we can a; run with it and score or b; we can fumble it. only time will tell.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:21 AM

Not that great

I am working in a field slightly related to dance music but in the mean time I kind of lost touch with the scene. (I'm working actively to the replacement of the bad producer by machines and automatisation, there: www.madplayer.com ) but I still have comments on the state of the scene.

I've always thought that Dance Music is the worst genre of music, Britney Spear, Spice Girls, Madonna, shitty pop dance, badly pressed 2mn longs disco edits of classic rocks, bad filtered disco loops over a lousy beatbox, cheesy Trance with endless buildups, noise for scenesters, etc... that's all dance music, music that prostitutes itself to sell more.

But Dance music also contains the best, music that uplifts you, music you can lose yourself into, music that make you grove, etc...

IMO, today is as ever, some islands of beauty in an ocean of mediocrity.

I live now on the Cote d'Azur, the land of superficiality... The dance music scene here is a disaster, cheesy pop dance, sped up R&B tracks, gucci crowd, money, strass and very bad champagne at $400 a bottle. Gay clubs have sometime some good music (during the week) but they play mostly bad hard-house. I was very surprised to see that, sometimes, you can hear good deep soulful house... in parties for the jet society (the beautiful people, what I call the really ugly beautiful people, the gucci men and silicone women who drives in mercedes and audi) It's really a (bad) change from the Shelter and B&S crowd. I have heard that "Garage" music is getting a little more attention in France now, I don't know if it's true.

Just my 2 cents of Euro,
Plur,
-Joël S.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:05 AM

dance music today

i never went to france but most of the french house i hear are disco loops. most of the pop acts you mentioned i don't consider house. i feel a lot of these remixes are just for sales. lets face it most of these acts never been to a club before they were famous so how can they make music geared to that crowd. and lets face it these acts wouldn't know a hot club record if it hit them in the head.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:55 AM

London head!

I'm based in London.

I see London being saturated with club nights, some good, some very good, but some poor!

Not many venues with decent sound systems, nor creative layout, most nights have poor music direction or stick just to one genre of music, which bores me!

FK - i know you've played at a few clubs in London, which was/is your fav?

Although i say that - I am checking Carl Craig this w/e which should be good!

Jb

Old 09-26-2002, 09:11 PM

chi

Someone took a great big shit on Chicago. It makes it hard to have a good time. bad or no vibes. lifes hard. What cities are happening now?

Old 09-27-2002, 12:45 AM
Administrator

fave clubs in London

FK - i know you've played at a few clubs in London, which was/is your fav?

Well, it would be unfair to not say that over the years I have had a lot of very very positive experiences playing in London, all the major clubs know their stuff and are pretty together. But things change and evolve very fast in the UK!!

The recent one I was most impressed with was certainly Plastic People, which is small in size, but has more than just sound going for it, there's also a vibe and the right team of people doing what they feel should be done.

FK
Old 09-27-2002, 06:14 AM

LOST

Hi Francois

I didn't hear any news of how LOST went in london, with D. may....was it deep as ****? they usually have people like Ritchie Hawtin or Jeff Mills bangin out tunes so i would imagine so

jb
Old 09-27-2002, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Regarding Lost in London

The 'Lost' party was absolutely brilliant for me in July. Reason it wasn't mentioned in previous post is that they are holding events every so often (and have so for a great many years) but I do not believe that they have a permanent space..... "A Club" so to speak, with a permanent sound installation,etc...

Must say this particular one was one of my all-time thrills!! Then again, wouldn't anyone if they got to play with Derrick May and Steve Bicknell?

Just this week, unbelievable party last Wednesday on a boat in Paris (Respect) with Jeff Mills and myself, with a 3-way tag team at the end including a surprise appearance by Laurent Garnier. That one was sweet and totally off-da-hook too!!

FK
Old 09-29-2002, 07:51 AM

Correct!

"but I do not believe that they have a permanent space..... "A Club" so to speak, with a permanent sound installation,etc... "

Yes, they've been holding these parties for ages, in random venues - do you recall where the one you played at was?

WOW, wild party in Paris - top notch!
I understand that Jeff has been making sound tracks for film- very interesting!

Although have to say (being quite fussy!) Carl Craig/Stacey Pullen/Kevin Saunderson do it for me out of that neighbourhood - full props to Carl and Felix to a wicked re-mix of Floppy Sounds - very good!

On a completely different note - I've been keeping abreast on events in NY, esp B&S - whats the score with that, seems as though this 'Arc' company have been..errr how should i put it, upsetting a few!? actually you're probably best not commenting?!

Old 09-29-2002, 05:30 PM

La Villette Paris

About "The state of Dance Music today" I was there among many people at La villette festival "Musiques Electro" where you performed last night after John Tejada and before Derrick Carter.

The place was full but still remained cold. The booth was too far, too high from the dance floor. You were too far.

As I heard of it before, I have seen you play more techno than before and I respect most of all the choice you made. After the first hour of your set, really tough!!! I landed , I stopped dancin wild. I heard techno tracks, great one most of the time, Octave one, Dj Rolando, Isolee, 4Hero but I did not feel your personality anymore, I did not feel you in it.

I might be wrong but I guess you must be tired of playin' the same kind of music since 1975 but you're a part of it, a part of the history of disco and house and its wide acceptance. The hypnotic sets that drove me crazy you used to play was not here yesterday eve. It might be the fault of the place. I do not want you not to change, I just want you to remain inspired.

You know some artist are not followed by their fans when they evolve ahead, they want to hear the same for ever.

I don't think I am of this one, and as far as I am concerned, it seems you are moving to a place already well known and built by others Dj and producers.

After you left Body & Soul, your more techno oriented sets, I'm just wondering where is the FK'state of mind?

A bientôt
Old 09-29-2002, 09:40 PM
Administrator

apples and oranges

The songs are different that sometimes can move a crowd of several thousand people or in an intimate gathering.

The fair way to make that comparison would be to see the difference between what was played on the boat party in Paris on Wednesday and the event on Saturday.

Regarding Body&SOUL, which I haven't left (we're hopefully just on a hiatus right now) I always thought that the music there was the fusion of many different influences.

However, I very much personally feel the need to explore new uncharted musical territories, some of which happen to have a very electronic edge right now. Sadly, and whether one would like to admit it or not, it is sometimes important to find opportunities to play for large groups of people, including younger ones; some of them definitely seem more attuned to the sounds described above. I think it is equally important to make time for more intimate occasions where it may be far easier to expose material that is much more delicate and subtle to understand, including going back to some of our musical roots, which I believe I also do on a regular basis!!

There is something to be said for the positive aspects of both types of interactions, and although you are correct that the setting was far from ideal on the Saturday event, it still felt quite positive to be able to share some musical joy with those people who were there!

Please also remember that it is especially difficult to express some of the things you were referring to in a 1H 55min set....

Peace.

fk
Old 09-30-2002, 10:37 AM

La Villette Paris

hi,

i thought that the event in Paris was pretty good if you criticise it in the context of the scale and spirit of it. What a strange venue, with that sunken dancefloor like a skating rink and one room open underneath the main dancefloor. But with all the people and the other stuff (metro area, especially), i thought it was good. I came over from london on the train for the night and it was well worth it. i've seen francois play a couple of times at plastic people and at the end in london. Both were good and totally different from the villette event in paris. Sometimes you just need to experience things on scale and you take the good and the bad aspects of that. At risk of a generalisation, i felt the people at the event in paris seems a lot more friendly and covering broad age ranges, than many things i've been to in london. Maybe that was just due to the size of the event. Anyway, just to say, thanks to francois for contributing to a fine evening. Oh and what's that cool version of yoko's "walking on thin ice"? best wishes, roberto
Old 09-30-2002, 12:31 PM

UR

Galaxy 2 Galaxy feat Darren Mckinney & Gerald Mitchell

Title: Hi Tech Jazz ( Live Version / inc Original Mix )
Label: Underground Resistance

ANYONE HEARD THIS NEW 'LIVE' MIX.....

SURPURB! FK- WHAT YA RECKON????

JB
Old 10-14-2002, 07:47 AM

LOST

Just a note re: LOST w/ Derrick May etc.

Francois, I don't know if you'll read this but your set was an absolute bomb!!! I've never heard techno played like that before, certainly not in London (loop city, IMO) - the groove changing, pitched up, down, whatever! You even dropped Moritz (M5) which I've never heard in a club - you must have heard the recognition from us lot down the front!

It was simply wonderful to hear a DJ who obviously LOVES playing - you were jacking like a 19-year-old. (BTW you pissed all over May's set - no disrespect.

And the acid test - my girlfriend also loved the set! It was her first techno thing, as I've tried to play her techno amongst everything else, usually pitched down for the groove factor. She just wasn't expecting a set like that at a Lost party.

We had taken nothing (a new policy of ours) and whilst we danced like maniacs throughout your set, about a 1/2 hour into May's set we had to sit down...it started so well but soon lost the 'x-factor', for us anyway.

Please come back and play some techno - I think a set of deep electro/techno in somewhere like Plastic People would be a special event for this city...

Best wishes,

Andrew.

PS. Thanks for the autograph!
Old 10-14-2002, 08:16 AM

The state of dance music...

I forgot about the original thread...

Speaking from the UK, I think it's probably no good to talk about any time being better or worse than any other (like everyone in the UK does - ALL THE TIME!), just maybe certain periods throw up their classics and sub-genres. But what I really think is important is that more music should be coming out which has some ambition, instead of being in awe of our influences - there is such a thing as too much respect for the past! Unfortunately, the UK is overrun with guys with this attitude, but no fuckin' groove. A happy medium is possible, in my opinion. I guess I feel like it's techno that should be leading the way in this respect. And no, UK garage is not the answer! (I'm kidding...some of it is v.nice!) For me, R&B and hiphop are no.1 right now for innovation, but obviously oases of genius surface in every genre, from time to time.

Obviously there are producers out there doing great music, published or not, but it's certainly not reflected in the club scene here in London. I'm still waiting to find a club which really delivers with their music policy, but then, my standards are VERY high!! (See above post re: Lost.)

OR maybe I'm just not going to the right clubs!!

OR maybe I just need my own club night!

I must say, the best nights I've been to in London have largely been private 'parties' in clubs, thrown by friends.
I think the party vibe is often missing from regular club nights - I wonder if it's the same the world over?

Anyway, I could go on...no, really, ALL DAY!!

Best wishes,

Andrew.

Old 10-26-2002, 02:01 AM

Sankeys In Da House

So what did you think to the state of Dance music in Manchester??!!
Old 10-29-2002, 04:53 PM

Manchester

He he, well I haven't been to Bugged Out yet! I really should try when you next get down here, your line-ups look good...Hey, hows about a guest list??

Regards,
Andrew
Old 10-30-2002, 06:28 PM
Administrator

state of Dance Music in Manchester

Hey Miguel,

Incognito said it best: "Crazy For You"

Love the city, the people and the vibes.

You know I'll be back!!!

FK
Old 11-05-2002, 09:21 AM

music

As for the state of music I would like to add a big "thank god" for the people bringing the old music out for us not old enough to have heard it when it was new. I always seem to be more interested in the older stuff and hardly anybody plays it on the west coast that I know of, though I'm sure that is very different than in NY. It is making it hard for me to find the music I really want! (Speaking of which there was a wicked disco track FK played in London at Plastic People at about 2:00 with this CRAZY synth that at points almost sounded like people talking and some horns behind it. I would love to know who did that track. One of my favorite beats for a long time...) In any case, thanks for saturday FK and thank god for a 6 1/2 hr. long set. Been a while since I have been able to see a dj do that and still have people there at the end begging for more!
Old 11-05-2002, 10:10 AM
Administrator

track with horns

To Matt,

Probably Stevie Wonder's "Race Babbling" from the 'Secret Life Of Plants' movie soundtrack. Very deep...

fk
Old 11-05-2002, 12:04 PM

disco

don't think that is it, but thanks. The one I was thinking off was a bit more "disco-y"...But I guess that doesn't help any.

Anyone have suggestions of disco in the lines of Wuf Ticket "The Key" or Konk's stuff and the likes?...

Matt
Old 11-07-2002, 08:55 PM

Matt,

possibly the track you are talking about is 'Marisa' by Machine.
I think he played that anyway.