Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2002, 02:40 AM

analog technology the comeback in studios

More Analog talk, Analog Technology the comeback

Ok since this was a hot topic B4 lets see what everybody opinions are about this?.
Ok I get pro sound news because im in the sound buisness and i get this months issue, for those who dont no pro sound news is the industry insider mag on where technology is going in the near to late future with recording studios. Anyway i come across page 30 as it states in bold lettering

1- Inch Analog Fits L.A Market,- Los Angelos - Artists and producers in the L.A area are steadily notching up their demand for syereo mastering on the 1 inch analog format. In response, studios and rental companies are purchasing additionalinventories of 1 inch ATR - 102s from ATR service company. According to Gary Ladinsky, president of the design FX rental company, his company has seen a gradual building of interest, month by month. "We bought one machine,"he reports, "then ran into a situation where we were getting more calls and that machine was already out."

Design FX now has 2 of the machines working at various area studios. According to Ladinsky, recent 1-inch analog mix downs using his ATRs include projects by System of a down, Meat Loaf, BeBe Winans, Extasy recordings also own a pair of the ATR 1-inch machines, which either shuffle from Exacy in north Hollywood and Extacy south in L.A - or go out to other studios thru the companys 1080 rentals division.

Extacy engineer and operations manager Joe James notes a cycle in popularity, feels that Analog sound is making a comeback. After the first big rush into Pro Tools, its comming full circle," James surmises." People are getting back to putting things on tape. I know that when it comes to the final mix, I love to print to Analog tape. When people start to put these 1-inch machines into their working environment on a regular basis, we expect they will be very much in demand."

Larrabee Sound Studios is banking on a continued upswing in 1-inch demand, having recently taken delivery on the first of three 1-inch machines ordered from ATR Service. "We just uncrated it, and it looks fantastic," enthuses Larrabee maintanence engineer Aaron Becker." "It has stirred up alot of interest already. I talked to one producer who really prefers to mix Analog at 15ips, but he doesnt like using Dolby SR. Now, with the 3 DB lower noise on the 1 - inch, he can do 15 ips without the noise reduction.

Taken from the June 2002 issue www.systemsbyshorty.com / soundman.shorty@verizon.net
Old 10-14-2002, 08:46 AM

Analogue

Hope this thread isn't out-of-date, coz I just discovered this site...

Shorty, I think it's very predictable that mastering onto tape has come back round. With the growth in HD recording technology, I guess it's natural that people are wanting to put that warmth/roundness/solidity back into the mix. It's my opinion that as we discover the advantages of both digital and analogue, they will be able to be used as musical effects themselves - I'd be interested to know if any artists have done this already??

Personally, I'd love to mixdown electronic stuff onto tape. In fact, I plan to!!

Take care,

Andrew