Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 01:54 AM

for sale: the worlds best DJ mixer... A&H Xone V6

I have an brand new (open package) Allen & Heath Xone V6. It retails for over $5000.
I special ordered this for a nightclub installation in LA and the club owner flaked now Im stuck with it. It has full warranty from the manufacturer and I can provide you with the sales reciept. Item is in mint condition never used and not refurbished!
<p>
http://www.xone.co.uk/v6.htm
<p>
Im in LA so we can arrange for pickup or shipping. I am open to escrow for payment if your located out of town.
<p>
800-994-4235
Vince
Old 04-05-2006, 04:38 AM

sent you a pm
Old 04-05-2006, 08:32 PM

quite jumpy to use "World's best mixer" in this messageboard, as most of the active posters will disagree, based on their hears...

(I don't have my own opinion about that yet, because I still haven't had the opportunity to try and compare the main rotaries. But I will, soon... )

Last edited by Acidtension : 04-05-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:10 AM
what a joke

Send a message via AIM to DJ Trinity NYC
i have just sold my UREI and picked up a V6 and isolator at a fair price used from a friend.....

this is just my opinion so don't shoot me!

first off i think the v6 and urei are 2 different sounds... i think a better comparison would be the v6 and a rane 2016

but I will compare it to the urei....the urei definatley sounds warmer where the V6 sounds more true and detailed.....i am beginng to hear sounds in tracks that i didn't before

in my opinion the v6 sounds like the rane but has a low end and balls where i found the 2016 didn't
Old 04-06-2006, 10:39 AM

Saying that it sounds anything like a Rane is really disparaging the V6, considering the price and technology used. I doubt that it sounds anything like it-ones a very solid state sounding mixer, more similar to a Urei but less good, the other's got classic tube warmth.

As far as warmth and detail: it's also unlikely that a solid state sounding Urei's going to be warmer than a tube mixer. My Urei never sounded warm unless maybe put against a Rane.

As far as detail, the Urei has plenty of detail. I think what you might be thinking is that the V6 has a more natural & refined, less electronic character.

Eventually we'll get someone to do a Urei-V6-Bozak comparison. I'm going to see if I can do that this summer if someone else hasn't by then.

Last edited by Criscodisco : 04-06-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:14 PM

He must just like the 'British Tone'

The A&Hs at our local spots here are beat to crap....

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 04-06-2006, 12:51 PM
what a joke

Quote:
Originally posted by Criscodisco
Saying that it sounds anything like a Rane is really disparaging the V6, considering the price and technology used. I doubt that it sounds anything like it-ones a very solid state sounding mixer, more similar to a Urei but less good, the other's got classic tube warmth.

As far as warmth and detail: it's also unlikely that a solid state sounding Urei's going to be warmer than a tube mixer. My Urei never sounded warm unless maybe put against a Rane.

As far as detail, the Urei has plenty of detail. I think what you might be thinking is that the V6 has a more natural & refined, less electronic character.

Eventually we'll get someone to do a Urei-V6-Bozak comparison. I'm going to see if I can do that this summer if someone else hasn't by then.

funny u should say this because i have owned a bozak,urei, rane 2016 and the v6

i will use adjectives that perhaps u can understand better....the v6 & 2016 are very clean sounding in my opinion....the detail in the music is greater than that of the bozak or urei again in my opinion

does the urei or bozak sound better me? does it make the music more alive sounding? my ear tell me yes.....is it accurating replicating the music going through it? my ears tell me no,,,and how do i judge that? by listening to other mixers that show me other sounds i didn't hear before.

so that is where i say the v6 is in the same catergory as the rane...

but being that your have so much to say on this u obviously have spent quite some time on all these mixers where u would even post your opinion

BTW only have tubes for cd's
Old 04-06-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Know what? I have had as V6 since last summer, and I listened to it extensively. Its actually a really good mixer. It sounds different than a Urei, Bozak or Rane. Call it a british tone, or whatever. It has a thicker sound, at least thats what I call it, a chesty sounding mid bass, very pronounced lower mid, as opposed to the ureis upper mid emphasis.

I find it easy to listen to, its clean. As with anything, it can only be as good as the rest of your system.

The P & G pots need a bit of time to loosen up, and I would have preferred taller knobs, but electronically, the V6 sounded pretty good in my system.

Later this evening, when I`m done with my days work, Ill really post a more detailed reveiw of this mixer.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:25 PM
what a joke

Quote:
Originally posted by clubman5
Know what? I have had as V6 since last summer, and I listened to it extensively. Its actually a really good mixer. It sounds different than a Urei, Bozak or Rane. Call it a british tone, or whatever. It has a thicker sound, at least thats what I call it, a chesty sounding mid bass, very pronounced lower mid, as opposed to the ureis upper mid emphasis.

I find it easy to listen to, its clean. As with anything, it can only be as good as the rest of your system.

The P & G pots need a bit of time to loosen up, and I would have preferred taller knobs, but electronically, the V6 sounded pretty good in my system.

Later this evening, when I`m done with my days work, Ill really post a more detailed reveiw of this mixer.

please do scott because express yourself so clearly and know i probably don't use the right word to express myself in this area

once those pots loosen up thou they are like butter...almost as if they could turn themselves
Old 04-06-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Trinity NYC
once those pots loosen up thou they are like butter...almost as if they could turn themselves

Old 04-07-2006, 12:07 AM

Thumbs up Allen - Heath V6 Mixer

OK, lets begin!

To start, I have had the V6 for quite some time, it was sent to me for audition by A & H, particularly, its designer, Andy Rigby-Jones.

My first impressions of this mixer as we all know, werent all that good, I had heard it in the now defunct club, Centro Fly, NYC.

First, lets me say, after having the V6 in my possesion, its build quality is excellent. Internally, they used top grade components, and potentiometers. It has a very heavy faceplate, and LED,s which many like. Its built to last, and thats good.

When I first tried it in MY system, I was surprised at the sound, much better than what I heard elsewhere. Its clean, and it does have a beefy sound. It is different from the Urei or the Bozak, and it has its own character. One thing I noticed, right away, is a very chesty, solid, low end. It punches, its kind of British sounding, I guess thats a given, it is British. Through the midband, it is dead clean, no distortion, and quite easy on the ears, into the HF, which again, lacks distortion, but it does resolve minute details the urei seems to gloss over and bury. V6 highs have body, and clarity, and arent ringy, rather they are clear and smooth sounding. The sound is very focused, and gives a stable, tightly balanced stereo image. With this mixer, what you put in, is what comes out, and the better your system, the better the listening results. The bottom end does seem solid, in the way that discrete designs are known to sound. The mids never glare at you, and highs are precise sounding. I also find the tone controls usable, in a way the ureis arent, more like the bozaks tone controls, they sound good when you use them, and you can work them in the mix! As I used to love working the Bozaks tone controls, I especially liked this aspect of using the V6.

The control layout is fairly intuitive, doesnt take but a minute to get used to. It takes a bit for the P & G pots to loosen up a bit and feel natural to me, they are definitely clean and accurate controls. I would have preferred a taller knob for the volume pots, but, hey, I managed. I used the sweepable low pass filter pot, It can come in handy, although, most of the time, I preferred it switched out, but, when you want to use it, its there and it does work.

CD,s sound good through this mixer, they seem to have more heft than thru the urei. I like that, especially the fact that I didnt have to add processing to make CD,s sound weightier. Tubes at work? I think so. Vinyl sounds more exact through the V6 than thru the urei. Mixing is intuitive. Vocal presence was nice, never harsh sounding, even at high volumes.

What I have come to realize, is the V6 is actually quite good. Its separate power supply is like a small refrigerator, and it feeds the mixer clean, solid power all the time, as well as being separate the mixer is virtually silent and noise free.

Then, if you go for the rest of the tube options, the sound is that much more present, the way only tubes can do.

Having been through many things by this point in my life, using the A & H V6, using Dave Mezas phono cards that use burr brown IC,s, among other things, I have come to learn there is more distortion present in the urei than we realize. And they are pleasant sounding distortions, ones you dont know are there, UNTIL you hear your music through a component that doesnt have them! However, once you become accustomed to hearing whats really in your recordings, rather than whats added to them in the audio chain, this is where you hear things you werent hearing before. So, yes, in this aspect, the v6 outdoes the Urei.

The Allen & Heath Zone V6 is a Premium mixer, it is quite clean, quite good sounding, and will last a lifetime should you buy one! Its a bit different sounding than their American counterparts, but it is in fact good. If theres any drawbacks to the V6, well, price! But then, everything good always cost a bit more!

Last edited by clubman5 : 04-07-2006 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
I have the chance to compare Urei Bozak and V6 with a very nice equipment

some Mark Levinson amplifiers and B&W speakers, and the V6 beats all

Agree the V6 have a exceptional construction, components, the separate AC transformer, and the Class "A" design woprks great on the music,

I dont know in English how to describe it, but well, even the circuit boards inside are of great quality.

I dont like the design only, and you have to wait some time to feel the pots less tight , but damn! is a great mixer, i still love UREi to play with im a UREI fan

At home i have connected the Thorens direct to the pre mcintosh and definetly sound better, so i use the urei just for fun and make mix sessions at home

The Urei is the king of club mixers
but its not Class "A" remember

thats my opinion many of you maybe disagree

Last edited by RETRODISKO : 04-07-2006 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:33 AM

Bozak

Interesting reviews, reminds me some of when a friend of mine bought over a x one 92. I get the feeling from reading the reviews that it is closer in sound to a Bozak than the Urei. Would this be a fair comparison?

Allen
Old 04-07-2006, 03:08 PM

Closer to the Bozak? Umm, maybe in some ways, and in others it wasnt.

The V6 is a weightier sounding mixer than the Urei, its power supply and beefy power rails, as well as discrete circuitry are responsible for this, I feel. But, it isnt as overly warm as the Bozak, and Yes, I said 'overly' warm. The V6 is far more accurate, its definitely cleaner when pushed hard. The Bozak does have its point of breaking up.

The V6 just has far less distortion than the urei, and at high levels, you dont hear the mids scream at you, and the sound remains intact. It does have a heftiness, sort of similar to the Bozak, but not as much, and to tell you the truth, with todays music, I am not so inclined to use my Bozak, it adds TOO MUCH bloom to the bottom end. But, in all fairness to the Bozak, it is great, especially considering how old it is, the time it was designed, and what music was like at the time Bozak was the mixer to use. And I still love the top end from the Bozak.

I also have never really been a fan of the house outs on the Urei, I always, since the first urei I have in `83, used the booth output. The V6 outputs, both house and booth are clean, and totally usable. This is also where the V6 walks on the Urei, as the house outputs which is whats primarily in use, just dont sound as clean, as the V6,s house outputs.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:56 PM

well, it's great to read all this, as I had already decided I'd go for the V6 quite some time ago, and I'll be able to fulfill that goal in one or 2 months time

With the Dual Isolator Module as well.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:52 PM

Scott:
The what is the primary mixer in your console?

sometimes the cleanest isn't necessarily what we want, IMH(umble)O

much in the same vein, I really like tube amps despite the inherent distortions present in tube technology.... I also think alot of musicians love the distortion characteristics of an overdriven tube amp on lead guitar...

(BTW I have never hear the V6 and thus have no opinion of it -- but how can one claim it to be the world's best w/o fully comparing it to the others out there? Has the seller tried the OOMLLC FPI unit? That unit is dope!)

Last edited by DSA.audio : 04-07-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:45 PM
what a joke

scott u should be writing reviews in magazines
Old 04-07-2006, 06:12 PM

too many pieces would get thrashed.
def. wouldn't get published by stereophool

but it would be a refreshing change of pace....

maybe Kerri can put you on the dole.... j/k

Old 04-07-2006, 07:26 PM

You guys are all correct in what you say, the cleanest isnt always neccesarily the best sounding. But, I never, and I do mean never, liked the sound of my room when I use the house outs of the urei to drive my system. I always preferred the booth outs, which are fed directly off the IC, unlike the house, which has two additional transistors, and the output transformers. Mids are much cleaner, bass is punchier and sounds deeper, and more musical, highs are sweeter, and more extended.

Fast forward to today, and todays music. Music is not like what music used to be. It isnt real at all, no instruments, or very few recordings in dance that actually have real instruments played by real people, and the recordings themselves are defintely not always clean. Years ago, recordings were not over recorded, the bass and highs werent as jacked up, and certain added distortions gave us the illusion of a certain sound. Now you play some recordings of todays music, and it just doesnt work as well as it used to through certain things.

The V6 doesnt sound like the urei, and it isnt supposed to. But, it does sound good. Sometimes I find myself liking clean, and the music doesnt become objectionable.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:28 PM

Finally, some credit to the V6-look back over previous months and there's none. All along it was evident that there has been a bias & familiarity with the older mixers.

Basically the V6 is more accurate and musical, which is consistent with the long history of sound engineering in the UK. The Urei's a classic example of the 80s electronic sound that has proven it's worth for club music-having a natural sound isn't needed or even desirable in clubs. It's as much a matter of taste as anything else-those old American mixers colored the sound in desirable ways.

When I compare my Bozak with a V6 and write a review, it'll be closer and I suspect will come down to taste. Accuracy and smoothness vs. a more enhanced, warm & punchy American sound.

That other guy did a better job on the second try-the Rane comparison with the V6 makes some sense now in that the sound is less "enhanced", is cleaner. That's also a rare complement for the Rane as well..:-)
Old 04-07-2006, 09:44 PM
what a joke

this is a mix i did from the v6 with cdj1000's through the tubes

vinyl sounded much much better to me.

I know most of the people are into house on here so u might find this repulsive! but this is flat outta the mixer at 0db on the gains......i found running it at 6 db on the gains sounded a bit nicer

scott what did u leave yor gains at?

Right Click 'Save Target As'

Download Me
Old 04-07-2006, 09:45 PM

Quote:
It's as much a matter of taste as anything else-those old American mixers colored the sound in desirable ways.

When I compare my Bozak with a V6 and write a review, it'll be closer and I suspect will come down to taste. Accuracy and smoothness vs. a more enhanced, warm & punchy American sound.

It will always come down to taste.

I dont know how close youll find the V6 to the Bozak, again, two different mixers, two different sounds.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Trinity NYC
I know most of the people are into house on here so u might find this repulsive! but this is flat outta the mixer at 0db on the gains......i found running it at 6 db on the gains sounded a bit nicer

scott what did u leave yor gains at?

According to the V6's User Manual,
"Music averaging around 0 on the main meters may be peaking around
+6 or so on the channel meters. If the music is heavily compressed this difference may be much less."

So I guess thay may be normal, if the main meters average 0...

By the way
I don't find that trance repulsive, though it's not the kind of trance I like most
Old 04-07-2006, 11:36 PM

I ran my input pots around 2 o clock, and the master volume from 11 o clock to the 1 o clock position. Some recordings nneded more some less.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
more accurate and musical

I think it is hard to really define what is musical or not...

some like yanni some like nitzer ebb

Last edited by DSA.audio : 04-08-2006 at 12:36 AM.