Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 05:16 AM
thecitynever

using headshell weight / stabilizer for better bass?

A friend told me last weekend that he now uses a stabilizer (http://www.dienadel.de/Revolver+PIG-...om-Schwarz.htm) and added a 3g weight to his headshell. He claims the bass now sounds clearer and more defined.
Has anybody experience with additional weight and stalilizers? I can imagine that when the headshell has more weight it is more secured from perturbation.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:50 AM

i carry 3 Michell Engineering record clamps http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk...cessories.html in my gig bag, they work well on a SL1200, i admit i use them more for controlling 7" records and clamping down warped or loose records. though i originally purchased them as they made a slight improvement to the feedback issues i was getting when recording vinyl.

i would think adding weight to the stylus wouldn't be good for the stylus or the record, but I'm no expert!

kieren.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 AM
thecitynever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special.K

i would think adding weight to the stylus wouldn't be good for the stylus or the record, but I'm no expert!

kieren.

I think my friend meant adding weight to the headshell and then equally to the counterweight
Old 08-04-2008, 11:10 AM

i've heard of several people, myself included, using plumbing putty to help dampen headshells a little.....

very little putty is enough IME
Old 08-04-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecitynever
I think my friend meant adding weight to the headshell and then equally to the counterweight

Adding weight changes the mass of the arm so it might change it for the better or worst depending on the needle used, just my though I may be wrong though
Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 PM

if you add weight equally on both ends it makes no difference,

you can have a 10kg headshell and 10kg counterweight as long as you set a 2 gram excess weight on the headshell, the pivot point supports the remaining 20kg
Old 08-04-2008, 05:43 PM

<puts on nerdy engineer hat>

It would increase the rotational inertia of the tonearm (about the vertical axis). I don't know what that means in terms of sound, but it could affect it slightly.

The other day I was cueing up a record to the first heavy drum kick, and was noticing that as I rewound (rewinded?) the record, how violently the entire tonearm shook as the needle tracked through the bass wiggles in the groove. A "heavier" tonearm would be affected less by this, even if the cartridge were counterbalanced such that the weight on the needle remained the same.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:19 PM

10kg headshell?

Old 08-05-2008, 03:29 AM
thecitynever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkarrik
A "heavier" tonearm would be affected less by this, even if the cartridge were counterbalanced such that the weight on the needle remained the same.
That's what my friend claims. On the other hand, I can imagine, that the companies who built turntables would know about this and make heavier tonarms.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkarrik

It would increase the rotational inertia of the tonearm (about the vertical axis). I don't know what that means in terms of sound, but it could affect it slightly.

The other day I was cueing up a record to the first heavy drum kick, and was noticing that as I rewound (rewinded?) the record, how violently the entire tonearm shook as the needle tracked through the bass wiggles in the groove. A "heavier" tonearm would be affected less by this, even if the cartridge were counterbalanced such that the weight on the needle remained the same.

weight of the tonearm is a factor in the system (tonearm / headshell / cartridge) resonant frequency. Although some people prefer high mass tonearms and some low-mass, in the end what is important is that the resonant frequency is neither too low or too high. (check articles online on this isssue for more about what is the 'right' resonant frequency to aim for)

EP