Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2004, 09:08 AM

Thumbs up The Phazon 3700

Hi,

What are your fundamented opinions about the Phazon 3700 mixer and model 5000 EQ for that mixer ?

I'd like to read several opinions, as well as mr. clubman5's and soundmanshorty's, please.

I only ask one thing: objective opinions.

Cheers
Old 07-29-2004, 01:01 PM

Objective.....

There have only been a small handful of these bought whereas there have been many more Allen Heaths bought (since I want to be fair by only including currently produced mixers at the same price point). Now Phazon has made their product readily available for many nightclubs and individuals, but almost all of these parties stick to their UREI, Allen Heath, and even their Rane mixers. And these are people with decent budgets available. The few that have been sold are all installed in clubs with Phazon systems.

So from these facts I think you can deduce some opinion of the quality of this unit. Also Mr. Dash has listed the units he has thus sold:

http://www.stevedashaudio.com/index.htm

Now I have seen the 5 band EQ in more installation photos, but have not heard any positive comments on it from the DJs I know. I believe that Phazon is the only company building a 5 band EQ right now that is optomized for DJ use, so sadly there isn't much choice yet (paging Mr. Shorty to bring out the 5 band EQ).

Subjective.....

Don't waste your money. For the same kind of money you can buy 2 mint UREI 1620s, or just one and enough to sit on until a quality 5 band EQ, or 3 way isolator is released.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dancindave
Subjective.....

Don't waste your money. For the same kind of money you can buy 2 mint UREI 1620s, or just one and enough to sit on until a quality 5 band EQ, or 3 way isolator is released. [/b]

That high-end/quality 3 way isolator will probably be made by shorty, sometime soon, won't it ?

I guess there aren't mint Urei 1620s for sale (or the Bozak) at the moment... I hope soon there will. At least on Ebay (and by Mario G). Any other recommended place where to get one ? (considering I live in Portugal and I'd like the mixer to get here as mint as it should )
Old 07-29-2004, 01:28 PM

Actually, I've got a 3 way isolator in the works right now slated for release very soon (this August via duo-audio.com). This will be fully discrete, class A circuitry with quality components. Shorty's will be out soon as well and should be a formidable unit with a some output options available.

Email John Kimura: djjohnk@sbcglobal.net or Mario: djmariog@aol.com and find out what they have available. Mario likes to use stock phono cards and original clones, whereas John will tend to use my own phono cards which have their own sound unique to the originals. UREI 1620's are always available here in the US since they were built for about 20 years and were very popular, so you should always be able to find one if you really want it.

Also, www.hticsproaudio.com has them sometimes and also www.soundbroker.com; but beware that these guys will charge you $2500+ for these units since they are selling on other peoples behalf.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancindave
Actually, I've got a 3 way isolator in the works right now slated for release very soon (this August via duo-audio.com). This will be fully discrete, class A circuitry with quality components. Shorty's will be out soon as well and should be a formidable unit with a some output options available.

Email John Kimura: djjohnk@sbcglobal.net or Mario: djmariog@aol.com and find out what they have available. Mario likes to use stock phono cards and original clones, whereas John will tend to use my own phono cards which have their own sound unique to the originals. UREI 1620's are always available here in the US since they were built for about 20 years and were very popular, so you should always be able to find one if you really want it.

Also, www.hticsproaudio.com has them sometimes and also www.soundbroker.com; but beware that these guys will charge you $2500+ for these units since they are selling on other peoples behalf.
why 3 channel and not 4.most dj setups use two cdjs and 2 tts
Old 07-29-2004, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Don't know their work...
Mario is more faithful to the Original Urei parts, isn't he?

For home dj use and quality recordings (I've got a CD recorder currently connected to my hifi), which amp +monitors would you vividly recomend to take a nice advantage of such a mixer ?
I had a look at the Crown XLS 202, but I don't know if its recommendable. I've also been looking at the Alesis MK One monitors...
I apologize to sound so lame (as in fact I am) with these questions, but I'd like to considerably improve my home setup regarding audio quality (even if I can't take the desired 100% advantage of it). I wouldn't fancy spending as much money as with the mixer with the other parts, since I don't need a huge speaker system, as I live on a flat and I'm not interested in severely bothering neighbours (just a bit is ok )

Cheers
Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 AM

I don't use or sell urei mixers anymore.

I don't use or sell urei mixers anymore unless I get them for a great price to sell. Now, Bozak mixers and parts are what I believe in and I will continue to sell them for as long as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidtension
Don't know their work...
Mario is more faithful to the Original Urei parts, isn't he?

For home dj use and quality recordings (I've got a CD recorder currently connected to my hifi), which amp +monitors would you vividly recomend to take a nice advantage of such a mixer ?
I had a look at the Crown XLS 202, but I don't know if its recommendable. I've also been looking at the Alesis MK One monitors...
I apologize to sound so lame (as in fact I am) with these questions, but I'd like to considerably improve my home setup regarding audio quality (even if I can't take the desired 100% advantage of it). I wouldn't fancy spending as much money as with the mixer with the other parts, since I don't need a huge speaker system, as I live on a flat and I'm not interested in severely bothering neighbours (just a bit is ok )

Cheers

Last edited by djjonk : 01-06-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjonk
I don't use or sell urei mixers anymore unless I get them for a great price to sell. Now, Bozak mixers and parts are what I believe in and I will continue to sell them for as long as I can.

I had planned to buy a 3 phono card 1620 from Mario before the new year but due to other nessessities coming up with very shitty timing I wasn't able to make it happen. Something has been in the back of my mind though that is really starting to eat at me which is that maybee a Urei is not the right mixer for me.... or maybee it is. I'm really not sure at this point. Maybee a Bozak is the way to go if I can get it the way I want it. The thing is though what I want would require extensive mods to a Bozak and while I have been told it can be done, I'm sure it would end up being very very expensive. A Urei however can do what I want as is.

My issue is this. I use 3 Turntables and 3 CDJ 1000 cd decks so I need to use all 6 channels. I have no need (or want) for a mic channel. It will literally never be used.

The mixer pictured here is VERY close to what I want, the 5th channell has been modded to accept a stereo line signal instead of a mic in mono and a 5th cue position has been added to cue it. The only thing different I would want is to have this same modification done to channell 6.

IF I were to get a Bozak I would want the following features or it wouldn't work out for me:

1. Dedicated booth out with seperate level control
2. 3 phono cards
3. Channel 5 modified to accept a stereo line signal and 5th cue position added
4. Channel 6 modified to accept a stereo line signal and 6th cue position added
5. FX loop
6. 2 dedicated record outs (ie I need to use the fx send for the isolator so that can't be used as a record out and I want 2 record outs like the Urei)
7. The A/B switches for the auxilaries as pictured here.

So I guess what I'm wondering is can this be done, and how expensive would this end up being? I know the Urei would do all of that stock, but I also know the Bozak is said to have a warmer sound, and maximum warmth is what I'm after.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!

Last edited by Kevin James : 01-06-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:21 AM

I will forward what you would like in a bozak to buzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
I had planned to buy a 3 phono card 1620 from Mario before the new year but due to other nessessities coming up with very shitty timing I wasn't able to make it happen. Something has been in the back of my mind though that is really starting to eat at me which is that maybee a Urei is not the right mixer for me.... or maybee it is. I'm really not sure at this point. Maybee a Bozak is the way to go if I can get it the way I want it. The thing is though what I want would require extensive mods to a Bozak and while I have been told it can be done, I'm sure it would end up being very very expensive. A Urei however can do what I want as is.

My issue is this. I use 3 Turntables and 3 CDJ 1000 cd decks so I need to use all 6 channels. I have no need (or want) for a mic channel. It will literally never be used.

The mixer pictured here is VERY close to what I want, the 5th channell has been modded to accept a stereo line signal instead of a mic in mono and a 5th cue position has been added to cue it. The only thing different I would want is to have this same modification done to channell 6.

IF I were to get a Bozak I would want the following features or it wouldn't work out for me:

1. Dedicated booth out with seperate level control
2. 3 phono cards
3. Channel 5 modified to accept a stereo line signal and 5th cue position added
4. Channel 6 modified to accept a stereo line signal and 6th cue position added
5. FX loop
6. 2 dedicated record outs (ie I need to use the fx send for the isolator so that can't be used as a record out and I want 2 record outs like the Urei)
7. The A/B switches for the auxilaries as pictured here.

So I guess what I'm wondering is can this be done, and how expensive would this end up being? I know the Urei would do all of that stock, but I also know the Bozak is said to have a warmer sound, and maximum warmth is what I'm after.
I will forward what you would like in a bozak mixer to buzzy and I will let you know what he says. I know that most of what you want can be done. I just want to make sure since I am not an expert but Mr. Buzzy is and he knows best. Thanks, John
Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjonk
I will forward what you would like in a bozak mixer to buzzy and I will let you know what he says. I know that most of what you want can be done. I just want to make sure since I am not an expert but Mr. Buzzy is and he knows best. Thanks, John

That would be awsome. If anyone would know it would be Buzzy. Thanks John

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 07-29-2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
[b]Actually, I've got a 3 way isolator in the works right now slated for release very soon (this August via duo-audio.com). This will be fully discrete, class A circuitry with quality components.

Will there be an European Voltage version of it?

Which will be its price, can you tell ?

Thanks for your repplies
Old 07-29-2004, 02:21 PM

For speakers I've been going through a similar situation. I've got some UREI 809 monitors and a UREI 6250 amp that I'm selling because the amp is a bit troublesome and the right woofer doesn't respond well to sub-bass. They are also too much for me to deal with for nearfield monitoring.

So far the best deal that I've seen is the Mackie HR824 because they are active speakers and also use a passive radiator on the rear for bass extension. So you get full and true sound. They run from $700-$1300 USD either from ebay, or any pro audio dealer. Since they're active; you're spared the hassle of matching the monitors with the amp and the expense of getting both seperately.

I've spent many hours with the Alesis Monitor One speakers w/ a Crown D75 amp and can say that they are only decent for small (preferably enclosed) areas. It's all relative to budget, but I say the Mackie's are the best deal right now. Now if I had more overhead I would get some Tannoy SGM, LGM, or DMT monitors with a decent reference amp like a Yamaha 2200. Or some PMC active monitors which have Bryston amplifiers built into them. Also ADAM monitors are good too.

I'll leave the choice to you for the seller of the UREI mixer. John is a good friend of mine and buys, reconditions and resells UREI and Bozak DJ mixers, so they are up to par. Mario is a cool guy and has built his reputation on selling refurbished UREI and Bozak mixers. Email them both and find out what they have available and if it fits your budget. I'm sure you'll get what you want from either of these guys.

The power transformer is switchable between US 120V and European 240V, so I would just need to know ahead of time what you like and it would be made how you want it, or even install a switch if you travel much. Price will be from $1400-$1600 depending on our final production cost and also relative to the number bought. So if you got 3 or more they could be discounted.

Last edited by dancindave : 07-29-2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:28 PM

Mackie HR624 is enough, isn't it?

I guess I wouldn't need the 824..and the 624 isn't that much less in capabilities, is it ? It won't be used in large rooms...

As for the EQ's, I'd need 4 or 5... but that would surely cost me 3 times the price of the mixer... and I won't be able to afford that soon, I'm afraid... but if you can please email me with a budget for such an ammount of the referred EQ's, with European voltage (220-230-240) & plug (it would only be used where I live).., considering their proper shipment to Portugal?

As for the 'refurbished' ureis John & Mario sell - so they are items that originally came with slight problems or mistakes, that they alter, giving us a final product equal to the original... or it isn't just like that?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2010, 10:29 AM

Oh, and by the way

Isn't there the possibility of a double eq module with that same high-end quality, switchable between the 6 input sources of the mixer, such as the separate isolator module that exists for the Xone V6 ?( )

Nice for taking up less space, and offering almost the same possibilities, if we'll only use 2 sources at the same time, most of the time.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:11 PM

The HR824 would be optimum, and even the Event 20/20bas and their newer Precision models. Don't pay more than $1200 for a pair of any of them and you should be ok.

The isolator is built for a single channel because it's easier to deal with that was as a DJ and also for us as builders. It also gives more space for the DJ to freak the knobs by having them spread far on the panel. Having more options means more parts and means a more expensive unit since I don't believe in any compromises. It also means more parts in the sound path which goes against my creed.

Many of the units that John and Mario get are in decent condition. I just talked with John and he doesn't have anything right now. I know Mario will have something for you, so he will be your best bet right now.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
[b]The HR824 would be optimum, and even the Event 20/20bas and their newer Precision models. Don't pay more than $1200 for a pair of any of them and you should be ok.

Were you referring to the HR624 ?
I'd more easily be able to afford those.... and they'll only be used in my room... which is not 'that big'...

Quote:
Many of the units that John and Mario get are in decent condition. I just talked with John and he doesn't have anything right now. I know Mario will have something for you, so he will be your best bet right now.

Well but, they do sell them in perfect (not just decent) condition, don't they (after working on them to get them in that great shape)?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:46 PM

Must I?

Do you really want my opinion on the 3700?

You would do well with a Urei 1620!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:56 PM

Re: Must I?

Quote:
Originally posted by clubman5
Do you really want my opinion on the 3700?

You would do well with a Urei 1620!

So you've already tried the 3700 right?

I mean... for those 4800 USD... I could buy a mint Urei... but I couldn't buy all the class-A equalisers (engineered by dave or shorty) I'd like... and the 3700 comes with bass /treble eq for each channel...

But regarding its sound quality (Phazon 3700)... ?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 AM

Well, when I heard it installed at Shelter, few years back when they were on 39th St, the mixer would make a cracking sound once it had been running a bit, and being driven hard. It had some bugs to gotten out, So, at that time, NO it was not a choice of mine. It also was/is VERY expensive, and I prefered the Urei so, it didnt matter to me.

I would guess they have perfected the design by this time, if they are still making and selling the mixer.

They had a list price of something like 4G,s or maybe more, I dont remember. It was,nt priced to move very many, IMHO. I did get to listen to the system with the Phazon installed, and I had been going to Shelter every week at that time. I felt that the Urei still had a beefier bottom end, and warmer sound.

Other than that, I never had a desire to have it, and pretty much that was that! But,
Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 AM

Well, when I heard it installed at Shelter, few years back when they were on 39th St, the mixer would make a cracking sound once it had been running a bit, and being driven hard. It had some bugs to gotten out, So, at that time, NO it was not a choice of mine. It also was/is VERY expensive, and I prefered the Urei so, it didnt matter to me.

I would guess they have perfected the design by this time, if they are still making and selling the mixer.

They had a list price of something like 4G,s or maybe more, I dont remember. It wasn't priced to move very many, IMHO. I did get to listen to the system with the Phazon installed, and I had been going to Shelter every week at that time. I felt that the Urei still had a beefier bottom end, and warmer sound.

Other than that, I never had a desire to have it, and pretty much that was that! But, Steve Dash had a good idea, because at that time, the Urei was no more, and there really wasn't a mixer on the market for awhile that was considered good enough for top grade installs, so he decided to build his own, based on the amount of sales of custom installs they projected would be sold. And, that thinking made sense, Phazon was considered the ONE to have if you were serious about your clubs reputation, and success.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
I just like that the volume goes to 11. Someone actually asked me if that makes it louder then a normal mixer that goes to 10. I kinda like the idea though, subliminally making people try to keep the volume at 10...

Last edited by atf104 : 01-07-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
where's that Bozak w/eq at?

I have an LE and am pleased with it.. Stereo Montreal has a Steve Dash variant system yet they use an original 1620.. the bar at Stereo uses a E&S 100D.. the Bozak - I want one!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:30 PM

Bozak Model Cma 10-2dlbs

Here is a photo of one of my bozaks with 3 rec outs. This unit has every option possable. This was a unit from Bozak factory with every upgrade possable.

CMA 10-DLBS S= SPECIAL

NOTICE ORIG. FACTORY RIVETS ON THE REAR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3404.JPG
Views:	565
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1711  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3405.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1712  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3406.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1713  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3411.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1714  
Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 PM

Sdx 3700

Here is a photo of a mixer i just servised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3412.JPG
Views:	1056
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1715  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3413.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1716  
Old 01-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator