Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 AM

starting production

what is your favorite reasons, ableton live, sony acid pro 6 , i heard a lot of good things about logic but im using a pc. and what is user friendly.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:50 AM

im using fruity loops and audacity

works for me

im not a fan of ableton

peas
Old 09-12-2008, 02:02 AM

one of my friends managed to set up OS X to run on his PC in order to run LOGIC, he said he just Google it and there was heaps of information. i saw it the other day and i am thinking of doing it to our studio as the cost of a new MAC PRO is ridiculous!

kieren.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:06 AM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
for me if money will not the matter i will use Logic on Apple MAc computer is awesome and pro,, But you will need to spend many days learning how to use all the fantastic things Logic Offers,

Im very pleased with Ableton, lost of people has been post tutorials on youtube , i run it on a Toshiba laptop with 2 gb ram now 4, and a Core Duo and its perfect for me, I produce all my stuff there

Is easy to use, i think that if you are newbie on production ableton will be easy as well as fruty loops, When you have full control on them you will be ready to move into Cubase Logic or protools. takes time to learn, and patience like everything,

I was a Cubasis user in the early 90's i move into cubase and later one year ago i switch to ableton,

Digital performer is good to in Macs, Good Midi / Audio workstation
Old 09-12-2008, 06:12 PM

everyone loves fruity loops and the ableton. its hard getting tutorials for sony acid pro 6
Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 PM

You need to find a sequencer that works for YOU and is efficient to use, one that you can get what you have in your head down on it without thinking not one that is rated the best, thats all bullshit they all do the same crap just differently.
I still use Logic5 on the PC and you know what I don't care for any thing else cos it works for me and does what I need it to do...write music. I used Logic8 Pro on a mac and was not impressed, I much preffered Logic 6/7 to 8 or even my v5.5 on the PC. I tried Cubase, reason and Abelton but I still preffer Logic 5.
Charles Webster still uses an old coppy of Logic too, so there you go you don't need the latest bells and wistles, just find something that works for you.
I also use an Akai MPC-2000XL to sequence, I have now combined the two, I have Logic set as master midi clock and the MPC as slave, VST's on Logic and hardware like my Juno and prophet MIDI'd on the Akai

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=frpLwxlLmmQ

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=whusQIGtwt4

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t0VPpUODjeA
Old 09-15-2008, 02:21 AM
sunjitwhy

yep

Well said. Though, I personally LOVE Logic. It takes time to learn any software. I tried Reason for 6 months. Then I tried Cubase for 3 months and hated the bugs. Then I tried Pro Tools (LE and a big HD rig) on a Mac but found it so expensive for what I needed in dance music production. So I switched to Logic 3-4 years ago, and I LOVE IT TO DEATH. It's so easy to learn if you take the time.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:53 AM

everyone i spoke to loves logic. it seems like people are moving away from protools and cubase.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:15 AM

yeah most of my friends have moved to LOGIC except for a couple of the Techno & Electro guys who seem to be loving Abelton, and i don't personally know anyone still using ProTools but i think it's a money thing, most of my friends are making house music in there bedrooms, dens or study's now not proper studios and none of them are recording full bands!

kieren.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:07 AM

its not money i know dj pierre and a lot of the chicago guy are using reasons and cubase they all have protools setups but they like reason 4 (thor)
Old 09-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Been a user and fan of Pro Tools since the mid 90's at this point. Just the fact that everyone uses logic now is one reason alone I like Pro Tools. I think Apple said it best in the 90's THINK DIFFERENT :P

P.S. Im beta testing Pro Tools 8 right now and it's going to be AMAZING. Eat dust logic! lol
Old 09-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Senior Citizen

Regarding the Logic vs Cubase vs Protools debate. Logic and cubase in the beginning were just sequencer programs and the abillity to record audio was added in later versions. Protools was developed as an audio recording software and the sequencing was added on top of that. This is still reflected how the programs work today, so it sort of depends on what you used to and what features you value. I also think it's important to consider if you want to use VST or hardware synths, since the programs handle them a little differently. Just like in so many other areas, like Vinyl Junkie said, you have to find something that works well for you.

/Daniel
Old 09-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Logic may be the best place to start right now, I think, since for the price, it comes bundled with so many plugins, which are all, at minimum, "good enough" (a few are fantastic), especially in terms of softsynths, where other programs skimp more; and it has enough features to grow into. Also almost as crucially, since the latest version makes it so much easier to avoid the Environment layer--which was always a big hurdle for Logic beginners).

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM

for synths i will use vst. i purchased a korg keyboard controller. i have cubase le and vst but never used them
Old 09-15-2008, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Reason, Digital Performer, some external synths, Mackie mixer, M-Audio midi keyboard,Motu 828
Old 09-15-2008, 08:00 PM

Screw sequencers what we all need are these things! LOL

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 09-15-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:03 PM

theres nothing like a old school synth
Old 09-15-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny
theres nothing like a old school synth

Indeed , if you can get one buy a Waldorf XT, it's the closest thing to the mighty (and very rare) Waldorf Wave, it truly is the deep house machine.
I still need to get me an XT...

Deep http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LhFt-qeQ4c8

Also non deep house related..Felix Da House Cat-Silver Screen, the lead from that tune is a preset on the XT, the sound is from one of the Waldorf sound bank CD's avalible when the synth was in production, a friend of mine had an XT years ago

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 09-15-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 PM

i love the yamaha dx-7
Old 09-15-2008, 10:43 PM

any of you guys into bending circuits too?

http://www.anti-theory.com/soundart/...bend/cb01.html

Last edited by Mistick Krewe : 09-15-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: add link
Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
After many synths i've settled lately on my Supernova rack and a Nord Lead 3 Keyboard. I had a Waldorf Microwave XTK but found it a bit "trancey" with the wavetable synthesis, but a cool synth. If anyone hasn't seen, Waldorf is making a come back with some exciting new products.

I really love my Nord. It sounds great, is built like a tank and the fact it has very little menu driven stuff, makes it great to program.

You can actually by Speak n Spells "bent" already on ebay. I was going to pick one up for about $250 but somewhere along the line my inner voice smacked me and said "you're not spending $250 on a speak-n-spell" lol
Old 09-16-2008, 02:03 PM

i was at guitar center playing with keyboards the nords sound was far superior. i had flash backs of david cole playing live in nyc clubs with vega, morales and humphries
Old 09-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny
i was at guitar center playing with keyboards the nords sound was far superior. i had flash backs of david cole playing live in nyc clubs with vega, morales and humphries

Yes, the Clavia stuff sounds ace! One thing though IMO the Mk1 Nord Modulars are 10 times better sounding that the new G2 generation, the new G2's sound all fluffy and have no character, the old Mk1 modulars rock, you can spend days and days making patches without getting bored. I have at least 400 patches I made for it on a cd safe for when I get one again.
Nord Lead 2 also sounds nice.
Another top one is the roland sh32, not keen on any of the Waldorf stuff other than the Pulse/Pulse+ and XT, I had a Micro Q and thought it was crap, the Pulse wiped the floor with it. Not sure how good this Blofeld thing is going to be to be honest and I wish they wouldn't keep rehashing the Q, get over it Waldorf..the OS sucked and it sounded pants.
As to DX's my fave was the DX-100 which I preffered to the DX7, 4OP synth that brings joy lol
Old 09-16-2008, 03:52 PM

does anyone like reasons
Old 09-16-2008, 05:48 PM

Reason is usable, although i found that i enjoyed using VSTs more, once Ableton had been updated to host them.
however, running the Reason sequencer within a program like Ableton or Cubase seemed to use less CPU than hosting VSTs within them.

Reason seems to be most enjoyed by those who grew up with hardware based electronic studios, and might be confusing if you don't already have a background making music with machines.