Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 02:30 PM

Question post production question (mastering)

quick question. when doing any kind of post production mastering to a mix or what not, should you try and keep the mix flat and rely on a listeners home EQ or whatever system they are playing the mix on to do the EQ. (Does this make sense?)

I'm wondering if it makes sense to boost levels to a finished DJ set with EQ settings just the way I like them. If I boost the levels and then there is an additional EQ setting with the end user, then won't it be over EQ'd.

I typically try not to mess with the mixed product too much, i find it takes away from the mix. i'm not a fan of compression or loudness either.

your thoughts.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Senior Citizen

You're right, if you boost the EQs on your mix and the listener has their set up boosted, the sound will be over EQd.

I usually keep the EQs flat on my DJ mixes and I don't do any additional processing either. After all, the tracks I'm mixing together have already been mastered once, so why should I try to master them again? If there are problems with levels and blends in your mix, then you need to work on your mixing rather than trying to cover it up afterwards.

Just my 2 cents

/Daniel
Old 09-30-2008, 05:05 AM
Samplaholic

[quote]After all, the tracks I'm mixing together have already been mastered once, so why should I try to master them again?[quote]

That's so true. The only thing you would ever need for post production of a mix is perhaps a limiter to tame an unexpected peak/spike in levels.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:22 AM

thanks for the tip. yeah, i totally agree with you. i'm not a fan of the over-compressed mixes out there, they blow my ear drums out.

i was just wondering whether i should apply a general EQ setting to the overall mix rather than on a track by track basis. thanks for answering. its better to leave it all untouched and pure.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halder
I'm wondering if it makes sense to boost levels to a finished DJ set with EQ settings just the way I like them. If I boost the levels and then there is an additional EQ setting with the end user, then won't it be over EQ'd.

My 2 cents: guessing what the end user's EQ settings are going to be isn't something to base the decision on. I'd focus on having the mix sound the way you like it.

Peece,
T. Tauri