Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2003, 10:41 AM

a&h xone v6 isolator unit

Gents (& ladies? but i guess probably not)
does anyone know if the new separate eq/isolator unit made to accompany to the a&h xone v6 mixer can be used in conjunction with other mixers (i.e. my urei)? - very little/no info on a&h site
what connections it needs?

benefit is it's assingable for 6 channels, so beats having to buy 6 isolator/crossovers

any other potential drawbacks/comments?
as ever thanks for sharing the knowledge
Old 11-28-2003, 11:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to mattu
I reckon you'd have to modify either the Urei or the isolator unit, or perhaps even both of them.

The isolator itself has no separate power cord, it takes its current from the V6 mixer, so you'd have to modify that. The connections are individual per channel, so you'd have to a) create separate aux inserts for each channel on your Urei or b) rewire the isolator to have one master out, which sort of defeats its purpose. Plus, it's like $1000 so if you'd screw up, you'd be in for a nasty financial surprise.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:20 AM

isolate

I called Allen and Heath a few weeks ago regarding this unit. The list price will be $2200 which is a bit steep in my opinion. The functionality is very good however. It has been made is so that you can have each the channels from any kind of mixer wired into this unit via RCA plugs. So the only extra cost would be the RCA patching cables and power supply. It shares the same power supply AS the V6 mixer, so you'll have to end up buying the V6 power supply to power this isolator if you don't already have a V6. In the Allen Heath website photos you can see that both the isolator and crossfader units are built with power in/out jacks (the V6 lacks this). I believe they are all built so that the power can be daisy chained through each of these units before it goes into the V6 (like a USB or SCSI connection). This is a clever idea, but costly for anyone who lacks the V6 already and wants one of the external units.

Peace, David
duo-audio.com
Old 11-28-2003, 12:46 PM

so I would say the V6 isolator is out of question for an urei or bozak

this is a self-made isolator unit for urei/bozak with built in original urei phono preamp
http://www.meta-design.jp/modify_9.html

on Dj deep┤s page you can see one of his mixers modded with channel eq

and after all: there┤s short┤s project; it will be expensive, but if the v6 isolator is 2200 $$... we┤ll see
Old 11-30-2003, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jensx
so I would say the V6 isolator is out of question for an urei or bozak

this is a self-made isolator unit for urei/bozak with built in original urei phono preamp
http://www.meta-design.jp/modify_9.html

on Dj deep┤s page you can see one of his mixers modded with channel eq

and after all: there┤s short┤s project; it will be expensive, but if the v6 isolator is 2200 $$... we┤ll see

what i'd like is some way of using an eq (or two) with a high quality mixer like a urei or bozak, and it is also necessary that the eq is assignable to any of the channels before they are mixed.
so the best way to do it would be to insert these EQ before the mixer... this means using external phono preamps for turntables, or building a insert loop into your mixer for the phono channels.

so whats the best way of building a switching unit to deal with this? putting an eq into the path of any one of the 6 mixer inputs, or the master output...

that website you gave a link to is great...couldn't understand a lot of it 'cos its not in english but its still very impressive.