Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2004, 04:49 PM

Unhappy Larry's Sennheiser Hd 412

HI TO ALL YOU DJ'S OUT THERE,ANYONE INTRESTED IN BUYING MY SINGLE HEADSET(LOLLIPOP) GIVIN TO ME BY LAWRENCE PHILPOT A.K.A. LARRY LEVAN BACK AT THE CLOSING OF OUR CLUB CALLED THE PARADISE GARAGE IN 1987 PLEASE FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME AT PEREZS@NEWPALTZ.EDU OR STAFFPARADISEGARAGE@YAHOO.COM IT IS IN GREAT WORKING CONDITION AND ALMOST NEW BUT WE ALL KNOW IT'S VINTAGE. SOMEONE ALREADY OFFERED ME 350.00 FOR IT, AND LIKE SCOTT FITLIN KNOWS ALL MY EQUIPTMENT IS ALL ORIGINAL...HE KNOWS THIS BECAUSE HE IS ONE OF THE PROUD OWNERS OF MY RLA X4000 CROSSOVERS GIVEN TO ME BY THE LATE RICHARD LONG BACK IN THE DAYS..SO ONCE AGAIN I'LL GIVE YOU PEOPLE UNTILL THE END OF THIS MONTH,OR I MAY JUST PUT IT ON E-BAY.THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INTREST YOUR FRIEND NOW AND ALWAYS DJ STEVE THE SAGA PEREZ..ALWAYS REMEMBER ASIDE FROM GOD,MUSIC IS THE ANSWER,AND LOVE IS THE MESSAGE.....PEACE
Old 03-14-2004, 08:05 PM

for $350 or more, it had better come with a DNA test verifying that it was actually used by Larry Levan.

Otherwise, for a 20-year-old headphone, that price sounds insane (and I don't mean like Crazy Eddie's, either).

http://www.markandrus.com
Old 03-14-2004, 09:59 PM

Ahem!

First off I have a sennheiser 412 lollipop, and it was not my favorite!

Secondly, $350.00 for this headphone is ridiculous, even IF it was Larry,s which we really have no way of verifying other than your word. So, as a collectors item it,s value is severely compromised because it cant really be determined if it was actually Larry Levans headphone! And for $350.00 someone could go out and buy a really good set of headphones which would undoubtedly outperform that Sennheiser.

Now, if you were offering the round, rotating record bin from Larry,s booth, that would be worth quite a bit of money, and that was the ONLY record bin like that one. And I would be able to verify that piece! Unfortunately, the bin got left behind, and probably thrown out.

I mean no disrespect, but Steve, you have to understand that any gear that has the RLA logo, like the crossovers, is worth what it is BECAUSE it says RLA!Anything that has no indication of whose it was, other than the sellers word is just not verifiable.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:19 PM

LARRY'S HD 412

LISTEN, ALL I SAID WAS SOMEONE OFFERD ME 350.00 FOR IT.. I'M NOT PUTTING A GUN TO YOUR HEADS TO BUY IT.. THAT SOMEONE THAT OFFERED ME THE 350.00 WAS THERE WHEN IT ALL TOOK PLACE, SO SORRY TO ALL YOU NEW COMERS THAT DON'T NO NOTHING ABOUT WHAT WENT DOWN BACK IN THE DAYS, KEEP YOUR STUPID DNA COMENTS TO YOUR SELF.. AND SCOTT TO HEAR THAT FROM COMING FROM YOU,WELL WHY DOSN'T THAT SUPRISE ME
Old 03-14-2004, 10:32 PM

Slow down Jesse James!

Im NOT saying it isnt in fact the Late Larry Levans headphone, BUT how can you prove it? Does it have some documentation, or other identifying nomenclature?

If it is really Larry,s headphone ONLY you really know, and that just isnt good enough!

As for Garage memoribilia, well, the crossover has identifying logos on the front, back, and the underside of the board! If someone has the sign that hung on the front of the building, that too, is worth something because it has the Paradise Garage logo on it.

You talk about peace, love, and the memory of the legendary club known as the Paradise Garage, and its DJ Larry Levan, which makes me wonder why you are selling all of your items from your days of working there.

That said, I have some questions for you about that particular RLA I bought from you as well. I prefer to do this via Email rather than on the open internet, but statements like " Why doesnt it surprise me " wont do you any good either!

If you have verifiable goods to offer for sale from garage thats great. But a headphone, with only your word?

Why are YOU selling everything you have from a time period you claim to cherish so dearly?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:32 PM

Re: LARRY'S HD 412

Quote:
Originally posted by perezs
LISTEN, ALL I SAID WAS SOMEONE OFFERD ME 350.00 FOR IT.. I'M NOT PUTTING A GUN TO YOUR HEADS TO BUY IT.. THAT SOMEONE THAT OFFERED ME THE 350.00 WAS THERE WHEN IT ALL TOOK PLACE, SO SORRY TO ALL YOU NEW COMERS THAT DON'T NO NOTHING ABOUT WHAT WENT DOWN BACK IN THE DAYS, KEEP YOUR STUPID DNA COMENTS TO YOUR SELF.. AND SCOTT TO HEAR THAT FROM COMING FROM YOU,WELL WHY DOSN'T THAT SUPRISE ME

Wow, and I thought that "love is the message".

Speaking of being a "newcomer" (which is a little funny, given that you have no idea how old I might be), typing in ALL CAPS basically screams out "I'm a clueless internet newbie!".

Anyway, if it's all about "the love" (lol), and you're really certain that it's Larry Levan's headphone, donate it to a museum or something.

Old 03-15-2004, 06:11 AM

Unhappy IN LIFE YOU HAVE TO MOVE ON

YOU KNOW AT SOME POINT IN YOUR LIFE YOU HAVE TO MOVE ON, AND TURN A NEW LEAF. AND IF I FEEL LIKE SELLING MY EQUIPTMENT SO THAT SOMEONE ELSE CAN ENJOY IT, THAT TO ME IS A GOOD THING. LARRY & RICHARD WOULD HAVE LOVED THERE EQUIPTMENT TO BE EVERYWHERE ACROSS THE U.S. AND THE AROUND THE WORLD I KNEW THEM BOTH PERSONALLY, (DID YOU) THEN THERE ARE OTHERS WHO ARE GREEDY PEOPLE THAT JUST WANT TO HOG IT ALL UP AND LET IT COLLECT DUST SOMEWHERE, AS IF TO SAY I'M THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS KIND OF EQUIPTMENT.. SO TO ALL THE NEGATIVE PEOPLE I SAY SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT SHARING WITH OTHERS,AND TO THE ONES THAT UNDERSTAND, I SAY LOVE IS THE MESSAGE. SEE I SOLD ALOT OF MY RLA STUFF SO THAT OTHER CAN HEAR WHAT MUSIC SHOULD SOUND LIKE. LETS FACE IT, I CAME TO LET PEOPLE KNOW,NOT TO GIVE NEGATIVE REMARKS. SO IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD THE PRICE GIVEN DON'T GET MAD, JUST MOVE ON. BESIDES WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT GREAT EQUIPTMENT LIKE THAT LYING AROUND IN THERE HOUSE,OR STUDIOS WHEN SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN ENJOY LISTENING TO IT....AND AS FAR AS KNOWING THE AGE OF THE UNIT, READ THE UPPER POST I SAID ITS (VINTAGE)MEANING OLD,, BUT IN NEW CONDITION..AND I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS THE ONE HE ALWAYS USED,BUT IT DEAFINATLY WAS ONE OF THEM, AND LARRY HAD AFEW. AND AS FAR AS SCREAMING GOES, I'M NOT, I JUST LIKE CAPSLOCK.

Last edited by perezs : 03-15-2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:47 PM

The word "surreal" is the first thing that comes to mind.

Very frankly I have to say that I think profiteering under a guise of altruism has always been one of the things that has disgusted me the most about the music industry (insert The Undisputed Truth "Smiling Faces Sometimes" here).

And I find it very difficult to imagine how selling individual pieces of the equipment used at the Paradise Garage at wildly inflated prices will do anything to help people "hear what music should sound like". Great sound systems are a product of the total result being more than the sum of the parts. If someone were undertaking a project to assemble all the gear used at the Paradise Garage, to provide an authentic re-creation of the sound system as it was then....well that would make some sense, and that really would be a project that one could legitimately say is "about the love".

Old 03-15-2004, 05:09 PM

As I recall!

Steve you say you sold alot of your RLA stuff so other people can " KNOW " what music should sound like!

Yet when you sold the RLA crossover to the guy from Japan who flew into Kennedy airport and took a limo to get to you, what did you use that $4000 for? And the crossover certainly didnt cost you that much! If my memory serves me correctly you used the money gained from the sale of the crossover as a down payment on your new Hummer.

So it seems that the folks here on Wavemusic arent the only self serving, greedy, selfish people on earth.

Peace, love, and the memory of the Paradise Garage and Larry Levan had NOTHING to do with where that last crossover went. It only went where it fetched the HIGHEST PRICE, $4000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2004, 05:22 PM

I cant wait to see your reply, Steve!!!!!

Bring it on, I see you writing as I type!
Old 03-15-2004, 06:12 PM

Talking EVERYTHING IN LIFE HAS A PRICE

AND YOU MUST BE HIGH ON CRACK SCOTT IF YOU THINK I'M GOING TO SELL SOMETHING LIKE THAT FOR CRACKHEAD PRICES,SORRY BUDDY NOT IN THIS LIFE TIME,YOUR LUCKY YOU GOT ONE OF MINE FOR 2000.00 AND WHO'S TO SAY THAT SOMEONE IN THE FUTURE MAY COME OUT WITH A CROSSOVER THATS BETTER THEN RICHARDS, THEN WHAT!,SCOTT, IT'S LIKE MOVING STOCK, GET OUT WHILE YOUR AHEAD.. AND, YOU HAVE TO BE STUPID NOT TO JUMP AT A CHANCE LIKE THAT..YOU SAID THE 412 WAS NOT YOUR FAVORITE THATS YOUR OPINION, IF IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR RICHARD AND LARRY, WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE. OH THAT'S RIGHT YOU MAY HAVE SOME PEOPLE ON THIS WEB PAGE THINKING YOUR THE NEW AND IMPROVED RICHARD LONG BUT YOUR FAR FROM IT.. I REALLY THINK IT WAS A VERY GOOD MOVE ON MY PART.THATS WHY I WORK AT A UNIVERSITY, AND YOU WORK AT YOUR BUMPER CARS IN CONEY ISLAND: NICE CAREER I DIDN'T WANT TO GO THERE,BUT YOU MADE ME. AND NO MATTER WHAT COMEBACK YOU HAVE SCOTT YOU SHOULD HAVE KEPT YOUR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF,IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING.. AND AS FAR AS GREED,YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE SO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME .. YOU SURPRISED ME BRO. I THOUGHT YOU WERE A FRIEND ,BUT I SEE NOW THAT YOU PLAY BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE. THE END
Old 03-15-2004, 06:30 PM

Boy oh boy, I'm really feeling the "love" here, laughing-out-f*cking-loud!!!

"IT'S LIKE MOVING STOCK, GET OUT WHILE YOUR AHEAD".

"AS FAR AS GREED,YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE SO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME".

cripes, dude, if some poor sap actually offered you 350 dollars for that headphone your "YOU HAVE TO BE STUPID NOT TO JUMP AT A CHANCE LIKE THAT" comment really does fit.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:33 PM

Re: EVERYTHING IN LIFE HAS A PRICE

Quote:
Originally posted by perezs
AND YOU MUST BE HIGH ON CRACK SCOTT IF YOU THINK I'M GOING TO SELL SOMETHING LIKE THAT FOR CRACKHEAD PRICES,SORRY BUDDY NOT IN THIS LIFE TIME,YOUR LUCKY YOU GOT ONE OF MINE FOR 2000.00 AND WHO'S TO SAY THAT SOMEONE IN THE FUTURE MAY COME OUT WITH A CROSSOVER THATS BETTER THEN RICHARDS, THEN WHAT!,SCOTT, IT'S LIKE MOVING STOCK, GET OUT WHILE YOUR AHEAD.. AND, YOU HAVE TO BE STUPID NOT TO JUMP AT A CHANCE LIKE THAT..YOU SAID THE 412 WAS NOT YOUR FAVORITE THATS YOUR OPINION, IF IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR RICHARD AND LARRY, WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE. OH THAT'S RIGHT YOU MAY HAVE SOME PEOPLE ON THIS WEB PAGE THINKING YOUR THE NEW AND IMPROVED RICHARD LONG BUT YOUR FAR FROM IT.. I REALLY THINK IT WAS A VERY GOOD MOVE ON MY PART.THATS WHY I WORK AT A UNIVERSITY, AND YOU WORK AT YOUR BUMPER CARS IN CONEY ISLAND: NICE CAREER I DIDN'T WANT TO GO THERE,BUT YOU MADE ME. AND NO MATTER WHAT COMEBACK YOU HAVE SCOTT YOU SHOULD HAVE KEPT YOUR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF,IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING.. AND AS FAR AS GREED,YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE SO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME .. YOU SURPRISED ME BRO. I THOUGHT YOU WERE A FRIEND ,BUT I SEE NOW THAT YOU PLAY BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE. THE END
No.1- I DONT SMOKE CRACK OR USE ANY OTHER SUBSTANCES! NO.2- I am a freind, but it bothers me to see someone using Love, Devotion and faith to hype, market, and sell and profit! say it like it is, which in this last post you finally have!

NO.3- I dont " Work " at the Bumper cars at Coney Island! I " OWN " The Eldorado Bumper Cars at Coney Island! You state you work at a University! Care to elaborate in what capacity you work for at the University of New Paltz? Or do you not wish to tell people your a " Custodian " ?

NO.4-Prior to the Sennheiser 412 what was Richard and most DJ,s using? I believe it was the Koss single cup lollipop headphone which had superior sounding bass to the Sennheiser. But it went out of production in the middle 80,s! Hell, before the Urei 1620 Richards systems ALL had Bozak mixers, but, alas it too, went out of production, and Richard used what he could sell that was currently in production!

NO.5-I do not tell you WHAT prices to set for what you wish to sell! Yes I paid $2000 for the RLA, thats what you asked! BUT, I could at least tell it was a real RLA! The headphone, well, who really knows whose it was? After all, you can say it belonged to anyone, including the President if you wished to!

NO.6-If you were offering an RLA crossover or some other piece of gear with something that is identifiable to being RLA or from the Garage I would have said nothing! But, even I feel this is an attempt at simple profiteering under the guise of being a former garage employee! How do you or anyone know for a fact it wasnt simply YOUR Sennheiser HD 412 lollipop that your saying was Larry,s to get a nice piece of change for? I have one, many others I know had them too, but it doesnt mean it was or had to be my favorite.

NO.-7 This is the BIG one! Ive asked many people about you. People who would know. People who lived at Garage. People who worked at Garage. Why does no one seem to remember a Steve Perez who worked at the Garage? Everyone remembers and knows Joey Llanos! Everyone remembers Carlos who was the doorperson in Larrys booth! No one Ive spoken to seems to recall you!

P.S.- Most of the time Larry DID NOT USE a headphone! He had the Cue signal playing through the Bose monitors! Most of the time Larry let one record end, and would then start the next record!

Last edited by clubman5 : 03-15-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to mattu
Dang! Sparks are a-flyin'!!!

Nothing like a good ol' bash every now and then. I can't wait to see where this ends...