Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2004, 09:56 AM

deciding for a grado system

i want to get a new system soon, and i'm thinking about getting a dj 100 or dj 200. the 200 is more expensive in general, that wouldn't bother me because it's a one time spend. i have to look for the continious costs for the needles. and the price for needles for the 200 system are 50% higher than for the 100. and the needles are in general far more expensive than for my current system.

so can anybody tell me, if it's worth spending that money to get a 200 instead of a 100? who compared and can give an opinion?

can somebody also give me the us-price for systems or an adress where i could ask for?

thanks,
grizz
Old 04-15-2004, 10:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to mattu
Try http://www.needledoctor.com
Old 04-15-2004, 10:50 AM

thanks mattu.

they are far more expensive in germany.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:43 PM

Needles

Yes the grado DJ 200 sounds better than the 100. Yes the 200,s needle is double the price, however the needle is where the sound comes from and its a finer elliptically shaped needle. have you seen what some really high end cartridges and replacement needles cost?

Now onto another point! Using the Grado cartridges will undoubtedly sound impressive, but, they can be somewhat sensitive, This means very careful setup and alignment of the cartridge/headshell. And there is the fact that the Grados will be more sensitive to skipping and jumping during back cueing if not delicately handled. But they do sound better than typical DJ cartridges! So, I would tend to go where my EARS like it the best.

Grado sound. The Grado sound is full, solid bass, and mid bass. Stable and solid midrange. Highs are good, but can tend to be a wee bit dry sounding, depending on the recording. This is the somewhat scratchy sounding high end some people talk about with Grado. Your actually hearing what your recording really is, without excessive coloration. As you go up higher in the Grado food chain, ie; more expensive Grados they get seriously GREAT sounding! Like the wood body Grados. But these arent suitable for DJing!

Old 04-16-2004, 02:04 AM

thanks scott. that helps. i'm really into trying out a grado system. and you mentioned it: you can always spend more. we're talking about audio. no real limits.

but you have to find a compromise for yourself and when i look at the prices over here for exchange needles, this is really a factor that counts. i just got an offer from a hifi-shop that says 125 eur, which is approx. 150 $, for a pair of dj 200 needles. and the german distributor even doesn't have them in stock.

for my shure system i never paid more than 20 eur (24 $) for a pair from my local dealer. well, i have to confess, this is a very special price. but at other shops it would be twice as much and still be quite cheap.

and i guess a needle being used for dj reasons wears out much faster than a needle used for home hifi listening, where you put it on sensitively and then just sit right back and listen.

scott, something different: when it works out i will be in nyc area next week and i think about coming out to see (and feel) your bumper cars and surely to listen to your system. i guess i read in another thread that you are closed during the winter. is your winter time over? what would be a good time to show up?

Last edited by grizz : 04-16-2004 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:50 PM

Winter is over!

I am just atrting up and I will be here. Come down and Ill show you a few things.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:31 AM

i'm looking forward. i hope i will make it. i will drop you a mail.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:31 AM

Grizz, I am from Germany as well;
I heard very good things about the Audio Technica 95 e; these carts should be about 30 (!) € in Germany; I really donīt know anything about them, if they are suited for backcueing or not, but the critics were overwhelming...
so if you could find them, it may be worth giving them a try

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tegory=23 324

I simply show you where I read the good things about them
http://www.deejayforum.de/forum/show...pagenum ber=4
itīs a german board, filled of trance heads and annoying kids, but few members have great knowledge

Last edited by jensx : 04-18-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:01 AM

thanks for the information jensx.

but i can't find the system on the audio technica hp, aswell exchange needles. perhaps they don't produce them anymore.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Grizz, I am from Germany as well;
I heard very good things about the Audio Technica 95 e; these carts should be about 30 (!) € in Germany; I really donīt know anything about them, if they are suited for backcueing or not, but the critics were overwhelming...
so if you could find them, it may be worth giving them a try

i've used this system for a couple of weeks, got it for 22 eur and i'm quite satisfied for this price. sounds better than some standard dj carts, e.g. the shure m-44's. it's cleaner, more detailed and voices are sounding good. couldn't check it on a bigger system. but for that price it seems to be a good pick. also backcueing is no problem.

Last edited by grizz : 08-29-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:23 PM

gradoOOOO!

I just got my grado 200i today, I will post the results once my system is in working order.

I'm already eyeing the highest end mm carts grado has to offer though... maybe in a couple months!

Last edited by Tanoka : 08-31-2004 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grizz
i've used this system for a couple of weeks, got it for 22 eur and i'm quite satisfied for this price. sounds better than some standard dj carts, e.g. the shure m-44's. it's cleaner, more detailed and voices are sounding good. couldn't check it on a bigger system. but for that price it seems to be a good pick. also backcueing is no problem.

On the Audio Technica AT-95E: This highly-rated cartridge is available as an import in the USA for $44.99 ea. from a company in Nevada called LP Tunes.

http://www.lptunes.com/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=691

Glad to hear that it backcues! I will try these for my next dj cartridge.

Grizz, any further impressions of sound and performance of the AT-95E?

I think it's mad cool that mix djs are looking for capable stylii from the ranks of the hifi world - most of the conventional dj needles on offer lean toward sacrificing sound quality to deliver a stiff scratch-capable stylus. HiFi, baby!

Last edited by r-tyme : 09-01-2004 at 08:44 PM.