Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Dowling
This is no doubt a very beautiful piece that obviously a great many people will be happy with. If it works for you, that's all that matters. The only concern for myself was, I was under the impression that you can't pack that many features into mixer without ultimately sacrificing some sound quality.

~M

That's only the case with analog mixers. Even the DJM800 when connected properly (all digitally in and out to the house DSP) can give them a run for the money when used properly. I don't think my modded/repaired PPD9000 is much worse than Urei or Bozak other than the faders. Has a signature, but just different. Certainly does most areas better than analog A&H, Mackie, Biamp, and Rane. It's really hard to tolerate outboard analog mixers when Internal DVS mode also has spoiled us with the possibilities of a truly transparent mix bus. I'd suggest the rise of digital mixers and computer mixing has helped change the genres, with more bass-dominant music that analog boards have never managed as purely. Denon, A&H, and Rane have upped the ante with digital, and the MP2015 looks like the new high mark.

Last edited by Reticuli : 02-08-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:44 PM

Reticuli,

I'm not sure i get what you are saying about bass and analog mixers? Vinyl may have limitations in the bass region though i don't see how mixing analog as opposed to digital offers better bass? Can you explain that a little more? The Phono stage of this mixer will suffer from all the same problems as any other phono stage and noise floor will be no different, if your using vinyl.

Real world is that no matter what way you go or how good the mixer or DSP is the end signal will become analog when reproduced by the speakers, where distortion will trump anything happening down stream by quite a factor. What happens to 0.0009% when it comes out of speaker with 6 or 10%, add the room in and it's on the merry go round again.

Last edited by Richi : 02-08-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:14 PM

Did I misspeak in an earlier post? I'm saying even the best analog DJ mixers mess up the bass more than the best digital DJ mixers, and that might be one of the reasons behind why more nuanced bass music has become so big in the last decade. Digital mixers and digital playback lets you do more with the lowend than you could in vinyl's glory days. I don't think that's just a coincidence that it's being exploited. It is certainly true that vinyl will produce a lot more distortion and muck all by itself than whether you're using an analog or digital mixer, but it's also true that distortion is cummulative. So if you were using vinyl, the MP2015 is likely to sound more transparent than any analog DJ mixer ever made. There's nothing wrong with going with what you know, the feel you like, or the nostalgia. And what's "good enough" is certainly a matter of personal preference. Maybe ruthlessly transparent is not the "tone" some people will like, but I think reverence for old analog boards can obscure peoples' evaluation of just how good, and frankly superior, digital can be now. I and my collection of analog mixers did not come to this determination lightly, mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richi
Reticuli,

I'm not sure i get what you are saying about bass and analog mixers? Vinyl may have limitations in the bass region though i don't see how mixing analog as opposed to digital offers better bass? Can you explain that a little more? The Phono stage of this mixer will suffer from all the same problems as any other phono stage and noise floor will be no different, if your using vinyl.

Real world is that no matter what way you go or how good the mixer or DSP is the end signal will become analog when reproduced by the speakers, where distortion will trump anything happening down stream by quite a factor. What happens to 0.0009% when it comes out of speaker with 6 or 10%, add the room in and it's on the merry go round again.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:39 PM

Old 02-26-2015, 10:44 AM

Just got mine last night.

It's a beast! Super nice.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:30 PM

I have one being delivered to Bar13 here in NYC.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:52 PM

Pretty good review here from a feature standpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZoHE1VoAAU

I am still curious about

- the quality of the phono preamps
- the output level compared to the Bozak (the MP2016 was much lower)
- how this whole Analog >> Digital >> Analog signal chain sounds on a BIG system
- how the level matching works between 1-4 and the Submix channels
- the durability of those punch buttons -- I can see them getting worn to death in clubs
Old 03-15-2015, 10:41 AM

Reposting a shootout review from Laurin (frequent guest here), who posted it on the (bizarrely-named) SUPPORTER ROTARY MIXER Facebook group.

Shootout part 1
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ok, lets start.
We used Vinyl (Technics with vintage Stanton D6800EL) and Wav Files via a CDJ 2000 NXS.
The Rodec and the Rane used the digital ins and the analog ins to compare both.
We checked constantly the spl level with a NTI XL2 to have the same levels on all mixers.

4 People listend and all of us came to the same conclusions.

To be honest we where disappointed with the A&H Xone 92.
With records and files it sounded unbalanced and lacked so much details that it sometimes sounded than an other track.To much bass (50Hz) the high hat was to loud and had not detail at all.
On the phono in it was even worse than with line level sources.
Not good...

The Rodec is very well balanced.
Nothing is to loud, the music is in the room not in the speakers and it feels like you could actually touch the music.

With records it lacked some detail compared to the Rane but has a deeper and more detailed bass (not louder) than the E&S.
The improvement when using the digital in is HUGHE!
The Rodec is just a very very good sounding Mixer.

The E&S DJR was a surprise.
With the CDJ it was on one level with the rodec. It has it own sound, not as, lets say modest as the Rodec but very well balanced.
But with records there was room for improvement.
The midrange was just fantastic, the bass lacked detail and sounded boomy but at the same time missed the lowest notes.
Hi frequencies where not as open sounding as with the Rane or Rodec.

The Rane.
Wow!
Where to start.
Every time when switching to the Rane it was like filling the room with sound. The detail on the high end is unreal (tempted to use "awesome" to describe it).
The sound with records is just so good that I can not wait to use it on a big system.
No digital harshness, nothing cold just pure sound and sooooo much details.
In this shootout without a doubt the winner.

Official Rane DJ you did an amazing job!

Oh and the statement of the E&S DJR 400 sums it up perfectly.
"With the Rodec and the E&S you have like 90 percent of the sound, but with the Rane you have 100 percent!"

Shootout part 2.
Rotary heaven...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Equipment used:
Technics 1210MKII with vintage Stanton D6800EL, Shure Whitelabel and Ortofon DJs
Pioneer CDJ 2000NXS with wave files
RME ADI-2 as external D/A converter for the CDJ
Bozak CMA 10-2DL
Urei 1620
Rane MP2015
NTI XL2 to check levels

Listend to countless records and files from early Proto Disco to House tracks that are not even released. And used my trusty soundcheck tracks that are ranging from classic Rock to Jazz and obscure bass heavy Dub Reggae.

Urei 1620.
Turned the volume up the first time and had to smile.
That mixer has something in the sound that makes me happy.
The phono sound is amazing, it has a little bump at around 80 to 90Hz and again a little rise at around 8KHz but it is integrated very well and made the mixer sound even at low levels very "cluby".
Line sound is fantastic. Balanced with a very good stereo image.
That way a mixer should sound.

Bozak CMA 10-2DL.
Like the Urei but with more coloration in the sound.
Stereo image was a little bit wider and overall it added more sub (100 to 70Hz region) and less trebel to the sound. But like the Urei this coloration does not sound wrong, not at all.
Fun fact, the Bozak changed his sound after it got warmed up, a lot of gear does this but with the Bozak it was really audible.

Rane MP 2015.
Again I am surprised.
Line sound of all three are the same and not easy to say which mixer is running when blindfolded.
The Rane has a wider stereo image and a very clean, not cold, sound. The Urei is between the Bozak and the Rane. But the difference is a thing of taste and not of sound quality.
The phono sound is, again, amazing. The difference is bigger with phono, the Rane gives you the feeling that it reproduced the sound like it sounded in the studio. And because it has no bump in the bass, the bass sounds a bit deeper. Both the Urei and the Bozak add something in a very charming way.
But again alle detail where there and it is only a matter of taste which one you prefer.

One interesting thing happened when listening to Ed Sheeran's "I See Fire".
The Urei made this track sound so much better.
We only had that with that track and no other mixer has a track that stood out.

I bet that a lot of you guys have questions about how is the summing on the 2015, what is the feeling of the pots compared to a Urei and how is the sound of all this mixers on a big sound system.
Well.

Stay tuned.

Laurin.