Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2002, 01:37 PM

Woofers

I guess the two of you were right about JBL woofers, I will get the eminence and try them out to see what sounds better. The JBL woofers never impressed me, however TADS are the ones I eventually purchase for full range. My brother has double 12" JBL on his fullrange and he wants TADS also. I have a pair of full range cabinets by JBL and I always feel that something is missing. You know that low mid sound that is suppose to grab you very warmly, its missing on my full range. Do you know a cabinet builder named Lenny who lives in Pennsylvania.

Edward
Old 11-02-2002, 12:18 PM

woofers

Ed, email me. I even have a TAD 15 to play with. Lets see what this does in your box!
Old 12-04-2002, 09:09 PM

rla crossover

i have a rla x-over for sale anyone intrested e-mail me at perezs@newpaltz.edu before i put it on e-bay with a reserve model number x4000 with rca jacks all original by richard long someone all ready offerd me 1600.00 for it so i will sell it to the highest bidder i will give you people untill the end of december of 2002 so first come first served. LONG LIVE THE MEMORY OF LARRY AND RICHARD
Old 12-04-2002, 11:55 PM

RLA x4000 x-over

?????????
??????

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 03-16-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:17 PM

Heres to DJ STEVE THE SAGA PEREZ1

I bought the RLA X-4000 from Steve. This unit came with a little surprise! Besides being in Brand New Condition, it turns out that this particular unit is in fact a combination X4000/X-3000! Ive never seen another unit like this one but its a four way xover and the Legendary 3000. It has the typical 4 way arrangement, and it also has a fifth ouput which is full range and also controlled by the middle knob! Interesting unit! Now, as I said its in brand new condition. I hooked it up and Man Oh Man, this thing sounds sooooo clean and sweet! The knobs have the feeling like they have never been used. You know how the knobs get that loose feeling after they have been turned thousands of times. The inside was clean and undisturbed. All the electronic parts are original! I should know, I have several RLA,s and I know the board by heart. The faceplate is unblemished! Boy this thing sounds great! It was an extra bonus to get a unit that is both the X-3000 and X-4000! The unit has a new home where it will entertain people and be very well taken care of. Steve is a really nice guy. We talked a bit and we looked at some pictures of him at the Garage when he worked there! And he knew what he had. thats why his price was high! he didnt have to be told what this piece was. neither did I and Im glad I have it! Very glad! It will be in action this summer at Eldorado! Come and enjoy the magic of Richard Long! And God Bless DJ Steve The Saga Perez and his family. A happy holiday to all!!!!!!!! P.S. This unit is in such good condition that I have no doubt that larry himself handed it to Steve. Its been so well preserved, that it had to be given to him by someone he respected so much. God Bless Richard and larry!
Old 12-15-2002, 07:18 PM

The RLA line of crossovers

I am going to list the different models they made and some information on them!

1. RLA-X-2000. The first unit made. 4 way xover, 2 rackspace unit. 3 knobs on front panel ( sub, bass, and tweeters ) 1 knob ( mid ) on back panel.

2. RLA-X-4000/3000. This unit was a 1 rackspace unit. In X-4000 configuration it is a 4 way crossover like the 2000. 3 knobs on front panel for subs, bass, and tweeters. 1 knob on back panel for mids. Configured as the X-3000 it had crossover filters for sub bass and tweeters with a full range level controllable output. This full range output was fed to a second xover to divide the signal ( lows, mids highs ) in big systems. The X-3000 only had 3 knobs ( front panel ) Bass, Full, and tweeters.

3. RLA-X5000. This unit is also a 1 rackspace piece! it was a 5 way crossover ( sub, bass, low mid, high mid, highs )and also has 3 controls on the front panel for subs, bass, and tweeters. The midrange control pots were also on the back panel.

4. RLA-X-6000. This unit is one that didnt really come out. It was a 5 way crossover with adjustable delays built in. There may have been 1 or a few units built as prototypes. But I have seen literature on it, but never an actual unit. It is an interesting concept!

All of these devices posess a warm, clean, and clear sound! They gave the DJ certain unique ways of controlling the sound system, that werent able to be done as simply with conventional crossovers. All crossover points were internally set, so there was no way of accidently changing them. Stereo dual ganged pots further simplified use. 1 knob controls both left and right channel of sub or highs. 1 knob controls level of entire full range. Conventional crossovers would have required you to turn both left and right controls. The RLA crossovers were designed with the DJ in mind!

he also made an external program EQ called the Q-5000. 5 band eq with preset filter points to be used by the DJ to shape and accent recordings. The original was 2 rackspaces. One of these was at THE PARADISE GARAGE. RLA didnt make many of these. The only one I ever saw was the one at Garage!

At some time in the mid 1980,s Richard had crossovers and Q-5000,s made for him by Rane. The xover was called RLA X-3000A. This unit utilized a totally different circuit than the original. It had differential balanced inputs and outputs. XLR connectors and 24db per octave linkwitz-riley filters.

Old 01-27-2003, 03:25 PM

NEED HELP WITH MY SYSTEM

Hello, I am currently not happy with my system and I wanted the input of the pros.

pioneer djm 500 and djm 3000
cdj 700 and cmx 3000
eaw jf590z for mids and highs bi-amped ma 2400 and 3600
eaw sb1000e for bass ma5000
eaw mx300i 3 way crossover which I beleive is analog
ashly double 15 band eq

Well guys here is my system, which is used for mobile dj use. The system just doesn't kick ass!!! I'm looking for that bass that you feel on the dance floor and not the kind of bass you feel outside the ballroom. I was thinking of replacing my sb1000e with the sb250, my partners use thes and man they sound good. Let me say I'm very happy with the mids and highs from the jf 590z but what I'm not happy with is the bass and yes I know the sb1000e are 18's and have a different sound then the 15's. Guys I know all of you have a lot of experience with sound systems, I do not and usually rely on the salesman to stera me the right way.
Please advise me as to what i can change or what I need to add to make my rig better.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
Frank

Do you want to know what to do? You may have to start from scratch.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:44 PM

crown macro techs

the 5000vz doent have that in your gut thump, even with all the power it has! When I used ma,s in my place the bass was everywhere but where i wanted it! It also doesnt have that real LOW DOWN DEEP bass sound!

I might try a crest 9001 for your subs. This amp has a BIGGER power supply than the crown and makes better bass!

Or you could use 2 BGW 750G,s in bridge mono. This will definitely work and be the best sounding and feeling bass your gonna get! gets pricey though!

Or you can find 2 used BGW 750 C, D, E , Or g,s and do it this way. BGW,s can be found on the used market for a good price. This amp WILL make the bass punch you in the stomach.

2 BGW 750,s in bridge mono is better power than 1 5000VZ!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:38 PM

FRANK WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THE POWER FOR THE AMPS

FRANK,

YOU SEEM TO HAVE A GREAT MOBIL SYSTEM. I HAVE BEEN A MOBIL DJ FOR 15 YEARS, I NO MOST CATERING HALLS. FIRST A MA 5000 WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THE POWER TO RUN THIS AMP? YOU NEED 80 AMP'S TO RUN THIS SYSTEM ( MA 5000 , MA 3600 , MA 2400. THAT IS WITHOUT YOUR LIGHTING AND SMOKE. YOU HAVE MOORE POWER THAN SOME CLUBS. FIRST YOU MUST START WITH THE HEART OF THE SOUND SYSTEM. ( YOU KNOW WHATS COMMING GUYS ) THE MIXER!!!!! PIONEER DROP IT . PICK UP A UREI OR A BOZAK IF YOU COULD FIND ONE. I WOULD RUN A THREE WAY CROSSOVER IN THE SYSTEM NOT YOUR ORDINARY ACTIVE CROSSOVER. I WOULD USE A RLA STYLE CROSSOVER FINDING ONE IS DOUBTFUL. THERE ARE SOME OUT THERE THAT WILL WORK FOR YOU NOT THE SOUND OF RLA BUT FINE FOR WHAT YOUR DOING. THIS WAY YOU WILL HAVE COMPLETE CONTROLL OF YOUR SYSTEM AT YOUR FINGERS. THERE ARE MANY OTHER OPTIONS. FRANK YOU COULD CONTACT ME AT DJMARIOG@AOL.COM WITH ANY QUESTIONS.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:08 AM

GSA & RLA X4000

I SPOKE WITH GARY STEWARD IN REGARDS TO BUYING ONE OF MY RLA X-4000 AND YOU KNOW WHAT HE SAID, HE HAD THE NERVE TO TELL ME THAT HE'LL BUY MY RLA X-4000 JUST TO USE IT FOR PARTS AND I SAID, ONLY IN YOUR DREAMS BUDDY,I WOULD NEVER SELL ONE OF MY RLA CROSSOVERS TO ANYONE THAT WOULD EVEN MENTION TAKING APART ONE OF MY RLA'S... TO THINK THERES PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT WOULD DO SUCH A THING TO SUCH A LEGENDARY PIECE OF EQUIPMENT JUST SO THAT THEY CAN MAKE A BULLSHIT BOOTLEG OUT OF IT, SO WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU ABOUT HIM. PLEASE!! LIKE I SAID, ONLY IN YOUR DREAMS GARY..
Old 03-28-2003, 08:40 PM

x-4000

THAT'S RIGHT GARY,YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT OPINIONS THERE LIKE ASS HOLES, EVERYONES GOT ONE.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:19 PM

True Professional

Mr. Stewart is a HIGHLY respected professional audio technician, systems designer, installer and maintainer. I personally consider him way ahead of some of the other so-call “engineers” who frequent this board, I’ve seen the work and disasters caused by some. Gary is neither a “weekend warrior” or “advanced amateur.” I’m certain without a doubt that he has a logical reason for using a piece of equipment, whatever it is, for parts purposes. Insinuating that his opinion is anything other then purely professional is just misinformation.

Regards to all,

Paul Bell
Old 04-05-2003, 01:20 AM

RICHARD LONG A HIGHLY RESPECTED DESIGNER

PAUL, IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW ASIDE FROM ALAN FIERSTEIN, RICHARD FRANCES LONG WAS CONSIDERED TO BE A VERY WELL RESPECTED DESIGNER IN CROSSOVERS AS WELL AS SPEAKERS, AND A MAN WAY WAY AHEAD OF HIS TIME. YEA YOU MAY THINK GARY IS A GOOD TECHNICIAN AND THAT'S YOUR OPINION. TO ME THAT'S LIKE COMPARING A RANE CROSSOVER TO A RLA CROSSOVER, YOU TELL ME WHAT'S THE DIFFERANCE. PEACE
Old 04-06-2003, 05:05 PM

GSA & RLA X4000

Steve we all have OPTIONS !!!!!
God Bless
Gary Stewart
Old 07-04-2003, 06:52 PM

Technics Tape Deck Model M85 for sale...

Hi all,

I got this a while back but never found a good place for it. It's in excellent and very clean condition, but one of the mounting corners is bent. Other wise it is in IMPRESSIVE condition. Please e-mail me if you're interested and I will send pictures.

Thank you
v/r
wedge
Old 08-04-2003, 08:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
RLA X-5000

Gentlemen, I have recently received a RLA X5000 and let me tell you, what a piece of work. This unit is so smooth it's incredible. I got the unit from a sound tech in the Midwest and it is in perfect condition, no bleeding or scratchy pots. My subs are pounding like they are suppose to sound, the RLA way. I now have a peice of history. This is a rare piece.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:59 PM

Re: RLA X-5000

Quote:
Originally posted by edwardcampbell
Gentlemen, I have recently received a RLA X5000 and let me tell you, what a piece of work. This unit is so smooth it's incredible. I got the unit from a sound tech in the Midwest and it is in perfect condition, no bleeding or scratchy pots. My subs are pounding like they are suppose to sound, the RLA way. I now have a peice of history. This is a rare piece.

ed....

just dug this post up via google...

do you have a pic of the X5000 that we can all drool over?

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave
Old 01-28-2006, 02:06 PM

Thumbs up

don't ever let it go. When I met Richard he was telling me about the new crossovers he was going to build. 5000 and 6000. You'll never find another like it.

animal
Old 01-29-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by animal
don't ever let it go. When I met Richard he was telling me about the new crossovers he was going to build. 5000 and 6000. You'll never find another like it.

animal

Animal,

Hello & welcome,

Where you a sound installer and jersey or new york ?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:56 AM

Smile

jersey, florida. mass, boston, california,
texas. where ever I needed to go. This was a hard time for me. Kinda left it behind. The last club I did I was a partner in. Litle club in jersey Phase II. Small system. 4 double 18 scoops with a lens on each. and 8 jbl bullets. It kick damn hard. Walked away from it after that.

animal

Last edited by animal : 01-29-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
jersey, florida. mass, boston, california,
texas. where ever I needed to go. This was a hard time for me. Kinda left it behind. The last club I did I was a partner in. Litle club in jersey Phase II. Small system. 4 double 18 scoops with a lens on each. and 8 jbl bullets. It kick damn hard. Walked away from it after that.

animal

Are you in jersey now?
What was the name of your company?

Sorry for all the questions just wondering if we ever met.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:16 PM

I'm in florida now 15 yrs. all things in the past.

accept that sound!!!!!!!!!!!!

animal
Old 01-29-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I'm in florida now 15 yrs. all things in the past.

accept that sound!!!!!!!!!!!!

animal

What was the name of the clubs you did / -go bars you did and where were they