Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2006, 03:33 AM

Lightbulb Anyone here use the Altecs in their installs?

Does anyone use Altec compression drivers in their installs. I am just curious as I still own a pair of Altec Lansing model 14 for home audio. The HF horn is still great sounding even after 18 years of use the 12" drivers were reconed professionally. I am looking to purchase the new 399 1.4" compression drivers or the 909 1" compression drivers for mobile use with the matching MR 564 horn. My other option is purchasing used 291s and have them refurbished at Great Plains for a posible club use. I am also looking at TAD 4001 drivers used, but I do not know much about the TADs and I heard that their diaphragms are astronomical to replace but do sound great. On another note I have read here in the forum that the JBL 075 bullets are the best sounding out there. Since these are not available but on ebay what is the order of preference in the bullets scene JBL,Fane,Beyma,Selenium,SnakePro,Celestion and please include the model numbers. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:54 PM

I use the 802-8G Altec drivers on 511B (fed 800Hz & up) Horn at home....

515B woofers (fed 800 Hz & down) in 825 cabinet

jbl 075s also sound real nice... unsure of how low to use though -- I think they can only handle about 20W @ 2600Hz.... I feed them a little more, but crossover a little higher...

great sounding combination, can't handle too much power though....

I did have the Model 19s for a time, but when push came to shove, i preferred the A7s to M19s -- something about that horn loaded sound i guess.... besided the M19 entirely too domestic in asthetics...

when i was younger, may car stereo used to have much more power!

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave

Last edited by louped garou : 01-29-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:30 AM

Any here use the Altecs in their install?

Do you know where I can get the JBL 075s and how much should I pay for them? How much to replace the diaphragm? If it's an old unit can it be remagnetized? What about the other bullets like Fane, Beyma, Snake Pro,Celestion any to consider with these? Thanks all!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 PM

Re: Any here use the Altecs in their install?

Quote:
Originally posted by djlivex
Do you know where I can get the JBL 075s and how much should I pay for them? How much to replace the diaphragm? If it's an old unit can it be remagnetized? What about the other bullets like Fane, Beyma, Snake Pro,Celestion any to consider with these? Thanks all!
Ebay! Go to ebay and type in JBL 075. or JBL 2402, there are always auctions for them going on.

Alnico versions tend to be more as they are more collectible, but I might, no, make that I would look for the 2402H with the later ceramic magnet, they never lose their magnet strength and sound just as good as the alnicos!

The nicer is the condition the more you pay. However, you should be able to get a decent pair for $300.00 or less.

BUT, if you get a pair that has corrosion on the aluminum bullets and horn, no problem, I have a great cleaning process for the tweeters, but does require you to take the tweeter apart, to clean, and then re-assemble. If you feel up to the task.

Stick to JBL for this! You wont be sorry. IF you do decide to get alnico bullets, you can have them remagnetized by JBL, costs a couple of bucks, but they will do the job right, and send you back a fully up to spec tweeter.

Last edited by clubman5 : 01-30-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:19 PM

Anyone here use the Altec in their installs?

Hi Scott, yeah I went to ebay and typed in JBL 075 and I got nothing. Anyways I'll go there from time to time to check. Do you have any experience with the Altecs 1.4" and 1" drivers and also the TAD 4001? Thanks again Scott!!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 10:38 PM

Re: Anyone here use the Altec in their installs?

Quote:
Originally posted by djlivex
Hi Scott, yeah I went to ebay and typed in JBL 075 and I got nothing. Anyways I'll go there from time to time to check. Do you have any experience with the Altecs 1.4" and 1" drivers and also the TAD 4001? Thanks again Scott!!!!
There are plenty of JBL 075 on ebay right now.

Altec drivers sounded great, they have a sweetness and realism to them, but if you blow one, you gotta get diaphragms for them, and unless you find NOS diaphragms you gotta use aftermarket parts. There is one who makes altec phragms, Great Plains Audio, they are ex Altec employees who started their own company! Its as close as youll get to what Altec was! Also, if you use an Altec driver on an old Altec metal horn, you may have to damp them better than Altec used to, as they can RING!

TAD 4001. Great driver, basically the JBL 2441 with a Berrylium diaphragm, and bigger magnet, EXPENSIVE, and if you blow a diaphragm, EMPTY your wallet to fix it!

Last edited by clubman5 : 01-30-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:56 PM

i agree with further dampning the old Altec cowbells...

cut the vanes in the center where the weld is with a sawzall and put something like heavy silicone or inert "tar-like" substance (still testing what to use)

for the outside of the bell, anynumber of things can work.... right now i have a 10# bag of sand on each to deaden them, looking into Cascade auto spray deadner....

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave