Wave Music Home
ReleasesCommunityYour OrderWave Music
ArtistsEventsDJ MixesShop

Wave Music Home


Home
About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links




Search


Adv. Search



Subscribe


Email






Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #26  
Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 PM
soundmanshorty soundmanshorty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Posts: 1,421
Here are a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshorty

The 3 way monitors should be completed by the end of the weekend, and I should have pix of them shortly to post. The prototype mock ups kick some serious ass. i do mock ups when i voice the speakers, before the real speakers are built, so if a change needs to be made in the way they sound, it is done in the mock up modified a few times, then the actual cabinets get done once they are rt, The output on the mock ups is nuts.



I should have more pics to display soon.

www.systemsbyshorty.com

For Daily updates check out:
www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty


unfinished pics of the SBS SDM 3 way custom monitors consisting of 1 - 15, 2 - 7 in mids & 1 - 2 in exit horn.

All thats left to do on these bad boys are the Ports, Paint, Terminal strips, Load them, and there ready to go..

Whats nice about this design & the way its voiced is, it can be used as a monitor, fill or small bar fullrange cabinet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS SDM 3..jpg
Views:	253
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2319  Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS SDM3 REAR..jpg
Views:	216
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	2320  Click image for larger version

Name:	sbscard3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	2321  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 06-08-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Mistick Krewe Mistick Krewe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hoodoo audio heaven
Posts: 1,403
when you say "voiced;" are you talking frequency response & polar plots?


what methods are you using to analyze this type of stuff on newly designed cabinets?

are you using a basic box building program to get somewhat in the ballpark; then
CLIO, SMAART, etc. for initial measurements, then finishing the tuning 'by ear'?


keep on staying busy...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-12-2009, 03:07 AM
soundmanshorty soundmanshorty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Posts: 1,421
Here is a pic

of the SBS SBH 2.18J sanded and ready for paint.
Im workin on the fullrange rt now and a entire new console layout that is real nice for StereoLab.

The new console layout will be the new statement console for SBS, it is designed for 18 ru of gear, 3 Ph and 4 cdjs, with more then enough room for PC. Everything within hands reach with ease so the djs are very comfortable. Ill post pics of the new design once completed

www.systemsbyshorty.com

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image011-1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	2339  Click image for larger version

Name:	sbscard3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	2340  Click image for larger version

Name:	sbscard1-2009.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	2341  
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
soundmanshorty soundmanshorty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Posts: 1,421
here are some pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshorty
For this Amazing new SBS - Thrive Audio Showroom at StereoLab Singapore, I will be introducing my new series of HIFI horn loaded cabinets called SDF series.

The all new SBS SDF series of Loudspeakers are designed to fly above a Dance floor, for spaces that dont want a Ground Stacked system but have the output of a stack. This variation of the SDF 3 for StereoLab is TAD Loaded, The SDF series will be offered in 2 diff variations, a Trip 15 Horn loaded version, with a 12 for low mid, and 1 - 2 in exit custom designed SBS CD Horn.

The SDF 2 is the DBL 15 Horn version of the SDF 3, both versions will be available with a 12 in driver for low mid, and a 2 in exit horn with SBS Horns. It will be offered in a wide range of drivers for all budgets.

This new SDF 3 series of full range loudspeakers for StereoLab will consist of 3 TAD 1603s horn loaded, 1 Horn Loaded RCF 12 for low mid, with 1 - TAD 4002 mounted to a custom designed 2 in exit CD horn to reproduce the Mid High end. I now have my own series of custom designed CD horns for all my cabinets. For Sub Bass there will be 4 SBS SBH 2.18 Berthas.

The Thrive Processing will consist of a Thrive Audio vacuum tube 5 way Isolator & Thrive Audio Bender 5 way program eq, to sweeten up the program material. With a SBS S3X 3 way xover for the djs main control of the system. The cd players will be processed thru ext Lavry dacs & system will utilize Summit Audio DCL 200 Compresion.

The entire system Booth & House will be powered by Thrive audio. We will be unvailing 2 new Thrive amps @ StereoLab, The Thrive Lena on the Tweeter Arrays, & our new ampifier which is un named at the Moment, & will be our most powerful to date, The bigger Brother to Maya, with a continuos sign wave power rating at 4 ohms of 1600 watts per channel.

The House will be powered by :
1 Thrive Audio Lena on 2 SBS Tweeter Arrays
1 Thrive Audio Syla on 4 TAD TD 4002s
1 Thrive Audio Nyla on 4 RCF 12 in Low Mid Drivers
2 Thrive Audio Mayas on 12 TAD TL 1603s
2 Thrive Audio Subbass Amps on 4 SBH 2.18 Berthas

The Booth Power:
1 Thrive Audio Syla for Mid High
1 Thrive Audio Reya for Low Mid
1 Thrive Audio Iona for MidBass

StereoLab will Utilize in the booth a Rane 2016 & 2016exp, a 4 phono/4 cd player SBS console, with 2 SBS Custom Built 3 way Monitors

Ill have pics soon to post

Press Release Link:
http://e-clubbing.com/2009/05/stereo...-in-august-09/

www.systemsbsyshorty.com

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty

So far of the custom horns & the unfinished FLH 212 module for the SDF3 fullrange of the system.

I Will be starting on the Bass module by thurs and console will be started today so things are moving along nicely. I will post more pics soon.



www.systemsbyshorty.com

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS HORN1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	2355  Click image for larger version

Name:	FLH 112.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	2357  Click image for larger version

Name:	CARD 1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	2358  Click image for larger version

Name:	CARD 2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	2359  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 06-17-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
soundmanshorty soundmanshorty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Posts: 1,421
Sbs Sdf3-sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshorty
For this Amazing new SBS - Thrive Audio Showroom at StereoLab Singapore, I will be introducing my new series of HIFI horn loaded cabinets called SDF series.

The all new SBS SDF series of Loudspeakers are designed to fly above a Dance floor, for spaces that dont want a Ground Stacked system but have the output of a stack. This variation of the SDF 3 for StereoLab is TAD Loaded, The SDF series will be offered in 2 diff variations, a Trip 15 Horn loaded version, with a 12 for low mid, and 1 - 2 in exit custom designed SBS CD Horn.

The SDF 2 is the DBL 15 Horn version of the SDF 3, both versions will be available with a 12 in driver for low mid, and a 2 in exit horn with SBS Horns. It will be offered in a wide range of drivers for all budgets.

This new SDF 3 series of full range loudspeakers for StereoLab will consist of 3 TAD 1603s horn loaded, 1 Horn Loaded RCF 12 for low mid, with 1 - TAD 4002 mounted to a custom designed 2 in exit CD horn to reproduce the Mid High end. I now have my own series of custom designed CD horns for all my cabinets. For Sub Bass there will be 4 SBS SBH 2.18 Berthas.

The Thrive Processing will consist of a Thrive Audio vacuum tube 5 way Isolator & Thrive Audio Bender 5 way program eq, to sweeten up the program material. With a SBS S3X 3 way xover for the djs main control of the system. The cd players will be processed thru ext Lavry dacs & system will utilize Summit Audio DCL 200 Compresion.

The entire system Booth & House will be powered by Thrive audio. We will be unvailing 2 new Thrive amps @ StereoLab, The Thrive Lena on the Tweeter Arrays, & our new ampifier which is un named at the Moment, & will be our most powerful to date, The bigger Brother to Maya, with a continuos sign wave power rating at 4 ohms of 1600 watts per channel.

The House will be powered by :
1 Thrive Audio Lena on 2 SBS Tweeter Arrays
1 Thrive Audio Syla on 4 TAD TD 4002s
1 Thrive Audio Nyla on 4 RCF 12 in Low Mid Drivers
2 Thrive Audio Mayas on 12 TAD TL 1603s
2 Thrive Audio Subbass Amps on 4 SBH 2.18 Berthas

The Booth Power:
1 Thrive Audio Syla for Mid High
1 Thrive Audio Reya for Low Mid
1 Thrive Audio Iona for MidBass

StereoLab will Utilize in the booth a Rane 2016 & 2016exp, a 4 phono/4 cd player SBS console, with 2 SBS Custom Built 3 way Monitors

Ill have pics soon to post

Press Release Link:
http://e-clubbing.com/2009/05/stereo...-in-august-09/

www.systemsbsyshorty.com

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty

Here are some unpainted pics of the SBS SDF3-SC (SBS Steel cages) that had to be fabricated to fly & house the SBS SDF3 fullrange speaker/section for the Analog system for Stereolab Singapore.

SBS now offers custom steelcage solutions for flying large speaker systems for all applications as well.

www.systemsbyshorty.com

http://www.facebook.com/people/Sbs-Shorty/1851472355

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	2363  Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2364  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	2365  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	2366  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 06-22-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-22-2009, 04:20 PM
der geile ami der geile ami is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: berlin
Posts: 820
good grief, why not just design rated fly points mounted internally?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Mistick Krewe Mistick Krewe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hoodoo audio heaven
Posts: 1,403
looks?

i would think offhand that internally designed fly points
would be much lighter also...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 PM
der geile ami der geile ami is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: berlin
Posts: 820
yea, whats 350 lbs in steel?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:56 PM
George Stavropo George Stavropo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 123
Wow!

Not exactly the first way I'd look at hanging a speaker either.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-25-2009, 11:48 PM
pbellsound pbellsound is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: NEW YORK CITY
Posts: 652
It's easy to use proper fly points. They simply bolt each panel to the next one with a big bolt and allow
the use of forged eye bolts. About six of them weigh one pound.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Special.K Special.K is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 630
Nice welds though; Tig welding is something I have yet to master!

Whether or not it is the best way of rigging speakers (as a rigger I’ve done stranger things) they do look cool, will have that industrial steel look which I love as I’m kind of sick of pretty clubs that look like hotel foyers!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Special.K Special.K is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 630
You need engineering paperwork (load tests) on the speaker cabinet flying points in a lot of countries and the cost of correctly rated Chains, wire rope, shackles etc. can be hefty and it’s probably a lot cheaper to build a frame like the one in Shorty’s photo which will support the cabinets from underneath therefore negating having to get the cabinets fly points rated!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 AM
soundmanshorty soundmanshorty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Posts: 1,421
here are some pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshorty
Here are some unpainted pics of the SBS SDF3-SC (SBS Steel cages) that had to be fabricated to fly & house the SBS SDF3 fullrange speaker/section for the Analog system for Stereolab Singapore.

SBS now offers custom steelcage solutions for flying large speaker systems for all applications as well.

www.systemsbyshorty.com

http://www.facebook.com/people/Sbs-Shorty/1851472355

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty

of the SBS SDF3 Cabinets, before they are painted loaded, then mounted in the SBS SDF3-SC

www.systemsbyshorty.com

http://www.facebook.com/people/Sbs-Shorty/1851472355

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flh315.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	2369  Click image for larger version

Name:	flh 212 horn flare.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	2370  Click image for larger version

Name:	flh 315, flh 212.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	2371  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 06-26-2009 at 03:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 PM
atf104 atf104 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 588
Send a message via AIM to atf104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special.K
You need engineering paperwork (load tests) on the speaker cabinet flying points in a lot of countries and the cost of correctly rated Chains, wire rope, shackles etc. can be hefty and itís probably a lot cheaper to build a frame like the one in Shortyís photo which will support the cabinets from underneath therefore negating having to get the cabinets fly points rated!

Not just many countries, but the U.S. as well. I dealt with this all the time in theater and church work. An architect will often request a local state approval from a certified Professional Engineer. All commercially manufactured speakers have these approvals on-hand due to the in-house engineering, and in addition, the rigging must also be certified by a P.E.. If you just rig stuff with chains/shackles/cables as many do, and there is a catastrophic failure (death, serious bodily injury), the first entity the lawyers will go after is the installer.

Most people in the industry these days use Polar Focus or another rigging manufacturer with a certified P.E. on staff to stamp and approve all rigging designs. Otherwise you risk a multi-million dollar law suit if anything goes wrong. It sucks, but as everyone knows these days, everyone is looking to sue, and you have to have your ass covered.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 PM
atf104 atf104 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 588
Send a message via AIM to atf104
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbellsound
It's easy to use proper fly points. They simply bolt each panel to the next one with a big bolt and allow
the use of forged eye bolts. About six of them weigh one pound.

I'm just curious if your rigging setups are rated for the standard 10:1 load factors or how you design your rigging...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Special.K Special.K is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 630
I have also come across a fire clause when doing a casino install, basically they needed me to guaranty that if a speaker cabinet caught alight the cabinet of any components will not fall from the rigging. Strangely enough soon after one of the speaker cones in another club I was working actually started a fire one night, nothing fell but the speaker was really high and we had to borrow a cougar lift to put it out (it was actually great fun, I love an emergency)!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-28-2009, 09:34 AM
pbellsound pbellsound is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: NEW YORK CITY
Posts: 652
The above pictured corner brace is the industry standard flypoint made by Pennfab/Elcom. Virtually all manufactures or their OEM providers use it. When a cabinet is checked by an agency, they look at the panel to panel bracing. When they see these braces are used it passes the inspection.

Often times, if a cabinet fails, itís maker can be held more responsible than the installer. If the installer flies the cabinet using itís fly points provided by and engineered into the cabinet by itís maker, he (the installer) cannot be held responsible as he installed it as per the makers application and design.

Some makers employ interesting tests for their cabinets. McCauley tosses completed fully loaded cabinets off their rooftop to see what fails and how to make it stronger. Kinda like the Crown amp drop test but with more than just a few feet of drop.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Special.K Special.K is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 630
My engineer wants me to make him a extra cabinet for test perposes but i have only made a couple of cabinets that needed to be flown. If it is a factory cabinet then the only issue you have is to hang the cabinet according to the requirements of local goverment and your insurance companey.
Though in saying all this last year i stopped flying cabinets myself and i now sub contract the work out, due to the rising cost of insuring myself as a rigger and the limited times i actully use my riggers ticket since i left the rock PA game!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-28-2009, 07:59 PM
soundmanshorty soundmanshorty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Posts: 1,421
Yes these are great &

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbellsound
It's easy to use proper fly points. They simply bolt each panel to the next one with a big bolt and allow
the use of forged eye bolts. About six of them weigh one pound.


i have used these before, & exactly how i designed the SBS Analog sound system @ SplashBar New York to fly.

Attachment applies to SBNY 2 way horn loaded SBS fullrange,, 2009 CWA Nominee for best sound system.

With the design of the system for Stereolab, this design cannot apply to fly the fullrange and i had to build a custom Cage.


www.systemsbyshorty.com

http://www.facebook.com/people/Sbs-Shorty/1851472355

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_0628091410.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	2378  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 06-28-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Dj Greg G Dj Greg G is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshorty
i have used these before, & exactly how i designed the SBS Analog sound system @ SplashBar New York to fly.

Attachment applies to SBNY 2 way horn loaded SBS fullrange,, 2009 CWA Nominee for best sound system.

Shorty I see you've been nominated, have you ever won any awards for best sound system?
__________________
" Are you out of your freakin mind? Turn that shit down!

My Beloved Wife
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-28-2009, 11:23 PM
marcellus marcellus is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 187
How many of...

the other sound engineers that frequent this board been nominated for or won Best Sound System?.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Special.K Special.K is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 630
I have no doubt Shorty’s systems are worthy of the award nominations and he should be proud of the nominations. But what is this Club World Award, it must be a US thing as all the nominated venues seem to be US or Canada based, I’ve only ever heard of it through this forum and Shorty’s posts! Is this Club World mag worth subscribing to?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Mistick Krewe Mistick Krewe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hoodoo audio heaven
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special.K
Is this Club World mag worth subscribing to?

it's a free subscription thing...

http://www.clubworld.us/
http://www.clubworld.us/html/subscribe.htm
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Reticuli Reticuli is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dayton, Ohio, USA
Posts: 930
Didn't Ice win that a couple of times? I think some of you guys might poo yourselves if you knew what was hooked into that system...seeing some of the past conversations on this board. Heh heh.
__________________
Pioneer giveaway...

https://www.bpmsupreme.com/newyearne...?ref=5-mKSlxcx
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Mistick Krewe Mistick Krewe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: hoodoo audio heaven
Posts: 1,403
I think so....


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004 AWARDS
The Vegas club crew was definitely in the house,
and celebrated .... major wins: “Best New Venue” and
“Best Sound System” for free-standing “metaclub” Ice
from:
http://www.clubworldawards.com/history/

and PLEASE, do tell...


Last edited by Mistick Krewe : 06-30-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.0.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2006 Wave Music


© Wave Entertainment Group, Inc.