Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2003, 10:41 AM

How to "warm" the cd player on a mixer?

I do notice on my rane that the cd line sound "colder" than the vinyl. I read on this board that you can put some tube processor in order to fix that but :
- Where do you put this tube ? (between the cd and the mixer input? or in the send/ return ?)
- what the best material to use ?
- is it worth it regarding the price?

Many thanks
Old 04-23-2003, 01:46 PM

CD TUBES

Hi GD. I can totally empathise with your comments, when you fade from vinyl-cd you will notice a "coldness". There are several ways you can install a "tube-buffer" to your set-up.

One is, as you suggest, to use the send-return/loop. This has an advantage in that you can turn the tubes in/out of the signal-path as you require them. However, there is one disadvantage in that you will be putting the signal through more circuitry as you would be if you installed the tubes between cd/input. Even if you use them in the latter-method, you will still notice a "difference" in sound between phono+cd, though the cd will be "warmer" and more organic, it will still sound different to vinyl.

This leads to the other method (IMHO the preferable way, bearing in mind that 9/10 12"s are mastered from cd these days anyway, albeit through some tube-compression maybe). This would be to put a tube-buffer on the main-output of your mixer. This will put a "tube"-signature on everything, and therefore it will not be so noticeable when you fade from vinyl-cd. I am not sure what devices there are on the market for this job, I wish I did. You need a very simple tube-buffer. If you know a good tech (maybe you can assemble stuff yourself?) my suggestion would be to trawl the 'web for a BROADCAST VALVE LINE-AMP SCHEMATIC. Being designed for broadcast it will easily have the headroom to accomodate the levels from the master-out (typical broadcast gear runs at +18dB). A good tech should not charge you too much to assemble it, and it should not cost more than $200US in parts, providing you are shrewd where you go to buy them. Try a search in Google for "TUBE LINE-AMP SCHEMATIC". If you don't get any joy post back here and I will see if there is anything I have that I can send you.
Good Luck!

Bozak CMA 10-2-DL Full Rebuild

How Mixer Level Controls Work

Important Differences Between Types of Bozak
Old 04-23-2003, 08:05 PM

a couple things to try...

you can try the tube stage, I would put this between the CD player outputs and the mixer. You might also include in this circuit a gentle high-frequency roll-off above 10kHz (no more than a dB or two up to about 17kHz, then more rolloff above that) to soften up the sound from the CD's and make them sound more like vinyl records.

Another thing you might try is placing audio transformers in line between the CD players and mixer, and again possibly combine that with some gentle high-frequency rolloff (you could use a passive R-C design on the output of the transformer for this, no power required). You'd need to select the parts by careful listen-testing...we're talking about a subtle form of audio processing, your ears are the best tools.

http://www.markandrus.com
Old 04-29-2003, 04:39 AM

Thanx

Thanks for taking time to answer. I will try to hook up with a techy guy for now...