Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2004, 10:47 AM

DJ Mixer talk (something new, I promise)

What are the features in the UREI 1620 that make it STILL more favorable to something like the Vestax R1, or the Allen Heath V6? With sound quality being a non-issue on this thread; please focus on features and function.

It seems like some features aren't necessary like the balance control, or the left/right eqs on the main out. I'd like to know what features are essential to a mixer. I'm talking bare bones here.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:06 AM

a fader for each channel and a cue select. that's essential and enables you to mix two records together. everything else is an add on.

a highpass-filter would be the next thing in the list, to my mind.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Senior Citizen

I don't think you can set sound quality aside when it comes to comparing the mixers you mentioned. Most newer mixes have more features than the Urei, except maybe for the balance control. What sets the Urei apart is the sound and the feeling of the mixer. If you want features there are other mixers to choose from. That's why the Pioneer mixers are so popular, since it's not for their sound and build quality. Like Dave said the basic functions are essential. No features in the world can make up for badly made basics.

/Daniel
Old 06-30-2004, 12:33 PM

I only want to set sound quality aside because I'm not aiming to seek a particular existing mixer, but instead to envision an new unit that would have the balance of high-quality and sensible features. I brought up the R1, 1620, and V6 because they each hold some ground for their price range as rotary mixers.

Assuming sound quality is top notch; I'd like to look ahead to how stripped down a DJ mixer can get and still be seen as favorable.

What do you guys think about crossfaders?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:39 PM

Last edited by dancindave : 06-30-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dancindave

What do you guys think about crossfaders?

dont use em -- Proud Bozak owner -- I also have the Rane Rotary, I use the crossfader minimally on this unit (i only use this unit when I want to scratch -- but i am installing the Rane less and less -- sound quality just not up to the Bozak...)

If I could get a hold of one of those prototype Bozaks with the crossfader, i'd take it in a heartbeat....
Old 06-30-2004, 02:59 PM

my wish list

per ch eq

fx send and return not a loop an assignable send

assignable crossfader

6 line in

I use the rane booth out as a send and one of the lines as a return.

I don't need to que with the booh out so when I get a crossover I will ask for an additional full range output and level control and that will be my monitor out.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:38 AM

A decent build in VU meter, per channel eq, cross fader (eventhough I don't use much), and the feeling of Urei.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:33 AM

Re: my wish list

Quote:
Originally posted by jsd540
per ch eq

fx send and return not a loop an assignable send

assignable crossfader

6 line in

I use the rane booth out as a send and one of the lines as a return.

I don't need to que with the booh out so when I get a crossover I will ask for an additional full range output and level control and that will be my monitor out.

I also try this setup with my rane but I did not manage to get a sound out??? Just one question: let's say that you are mixing two tracks together and you want to apply a wah effect on the track in which you mix the other one (not sure it's clear ) and then you will slowly remove the "wah"ed track. Is it possible to do that in the way you setup your gear?

Thanks
Johann
Old 07-01-2004, 11:13 AM

Re: Re: my wish list

Quote:
Originally posted by johann
I also try this setup with my rane but I did not manage to get a sound out??? Just one question: let's say that you are mixing two tracks together and you want to apply a wah effect on the track in which you mix the other one (not sure it's clear ) and then you will slowly remove the "wah"ed track. Is it possible to do that in the way you setup your gear?

Thanks
Johann

Booth out is set to cue (cue is then set to ch you want
to use the fx on)

FX unit's out is connected to the last line in ch .

Booth out vol (send) is set to max when you want the fx
to be used and zero when you don't want fx.

set the fx unit's in and out level and the last line level
on the mixer (return) carefully before you begin a set you
do not want clipping.

Now just practice turning up the booth out and the original
scource channel down. you are cutting between the fx and the
scource. If you turn the booth out alone th fx will play with the scource simultaneously. The return should be tweeked but not turned down.

Once you get used to it the send becomes another source to
mix in and you will experiment with the levels to get the best
s/n ratio.

Pls let me know if this makes sense. If you are ny or nj I can
show you how.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: my wish list

Unfortunately i'm not in Nyc nor Nj I'm in france.

It makes sense to me so i will give a try tonite. thanks for the detailled explanation

On a completely different subject:
a friend of mine take a look at the rane shematics and he noticed that the operational amp (op-amp) included in the rane are really average quality and under old electronic design (sorry I'm definitely not a techy guy). He demonstrate me on his old amp (a british class A : quad 405) that by changing this smal piece (op-amp), the sound will drastically change also. The one that are in the rane cost like 1$ piece and the one he showed me are around 10$. So I wonder if anyone has ever try to do this type of mod?

Thanks
Johann
Old 07-01-2004, 12:00 PM

Can you please expand on sound quality improvement.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jsd540
Can you please expand on sound quality improvement.

Unfortunately I'm not able to explain clearly. I will try this mod as anyway I can always come back since it's quite the same way of plugin the components.
he will replace the op-amp (from what I understand it's the very first stage of amplification (0.01db) with burr brown component that are known to add a better quality to the sound.
I found this quote: "The stock op-amps are replaced next, with high-quality Burr Brown components. The new op-amps offer better frequency response, higher slew rate (faster response) and improved signal to noise ratio. The result is lower distortion, better bass response, detail, extension, dynamics and resolution."
I trust my friend as he is in the game since 20 years and anyway I can always come back to the original sound and component if necessary.

Johann
Old 07-02-2004, 06:20 AM

Urei Features => how about the input select??

First , not to critisize the Urei, but I've always wondered:
Is that 4 channel selection per channel on both the Rane and the Urei really used much??
You already have 6 channels, so what's the use of expanding them.
Ok. a selection between tape and phono, thats obvious, but why four others as well??

Maybe a bit silly question, but just a question that pops up.

Thijs
Old 07-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally posted by Theijz
First , not to critisize the Urei, but I've always wondered:
Is that 4 channel selection per channel on both the Rane and the Urei really used much??
You already have 6 channels, so what's the use of expanding them.
Ok. a selection between tape and phono, thats obvious, but why four others as well??

Maybe a bit silly question, but just a question that pops up.

Thijs

It's not that each channel has got four inputs. The first two channels are dedicated phono inputs. The next four channels each has it's own dedicated input. In addition to these there's a pool of five Aux inputs that are assignable to channels 3-6. What's good about this compared the two inputs per channel layout is that you don't have to do the same planning when using your sources. If you have a cd-player and a reel to reel on one channel on a two inputs per channel mixer you cannot mix the cd into the reel to reel. On a Urei you just switch the cd over to another channel and away you go. On the other hand, if you have a lot of channels on your mixer you won't have that problem.

/Daniel

Last edited by daniels : 07-02-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:03 AM

I agree with DJ Groda

It's a flexability thing.
I swap my TT's or CD players for a sampler I
use and it's nice to know I can use it
even if my 6th channel is curently in use.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:18 AM

Yes I get the point but:

Quote:
On the other hand, if you have a lot of channels on your mixer you won't have that problem.

If use use the Urei (or rane, but lets stick to the Urei) you have four channels + two phono's, isn't that enough??
I don't see many people using lets say four Phono's (than phono cards needed 'fc'rse), and two CD's, or three. Even then a single Phono/Line switch or Phono/Mic between is enough here I guess.
IF you would discus the possible influence of the selection switches to sound quality (wich wasn't allowed in this thread I believe ) I wouldn't use such switches. Or am I completely wrong here?

BTW:
Quote:
It seems like some features aren't necessary like the balance control, or the left/right eqs on the main out.

What do you people think about that?
I ,and I can only speak for myself, love stereo eq's(two channels on one Pot), so I don't have to worry about the balance of the tone.
But a balance control is very nice, you can do great things with that.

Greets
Thijs
Old 07-20-2004, 01:55 PM

I thought the best op-amps still produced were made by Analog Devices. Stereophile did a big test of the opamps on the market and only one or two actually had acceptable performance, the A.D. by a large margin.

Quote:
Originally posted by johann
Unfortunately I'm not able to explain clearly. I will try this mod as anyway I can always come back since it's quite the same way of plugin the components.
he will replace the op-amp (from what I understand it's the very first stage of amplification (0.01db) with burr brown component that are known to add a better quality to the sound.
I found this quote: "The stock op-amps are replaced next, with high-quality Burr Brown components. The new op-amps offer better frequency response, higher slew rate (faster response) and improved signal to noise ratio. The result is lower distortion, better bass response, detail, extension, dynamics and resolution."
I trust my friend as he is in the game since 20 years and anyway I can always come back to the original sound and component if necessary.

Johann